Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Smart 61 fall of the screen

Thanks

It's not a good idea to leave the device on the windscreen in hot weather anyway. Garmin and other manufacturers specifically warn against that, Garmin in particular states that temps above 55°C can cause damage, particularly to the lithium battery. Not too hard to exceed that inside a locked vehicle in the sun on a hot day, even for a short period. Safest place in a hot car for your nuvi is in the glovebox.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    It's not a good idea to leave the device on the windscreen in hot weather anyway. Garmin and other manufacturers specifically warn against that, Garmin in particular states that temps above 55°C can cause damage, particularly to the lithium battery. Not too hard to exceed that inside a locked vehicle in the sun on a hot day, even for a short period. Safest place in a hot car for your nuvi is in the glovebox.
    I have no trouble with the new VF Commodore car as it NEVER left in the sun, yes this is the only car I have that the garmin is on the screen. The Older car the VR Commodore the Garmin is on the Aircon vents in the middle and I always cover it up with a thick small towel mainly to cover it up so the thieves do not see it.

Thanks

The above reply was more for general awareness in regard to leaving the device on the screen in a parked car on a hot day. The following post sparked that and I should have referenced it even tho' the poster may only have meant when driving in 40+ heat:
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrew041 View Post
    ... mine gets left in the sun all day at 40+ and bashed down all the rough tracks in the gemfields and its falling nowhere.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (28-05-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up mate, the windows are always down and i dont normaly park facing directly into the sun but I guess I should take a bit more care, never really gave it much thaught.

• The Following User Says Thank You to homebrew041 For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (28-05-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew041 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up mate, the windows are always down and i dont normaly park facing directly into the sun but I guess I should take a bit more care, never really gave it much thaught.
    It fell off the screen today so I unhooked it from its suction device and gave it some salastic. Wait for two days and see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

How did it go?
    Funny thing, when I went out to my car this morning, I found my Navman, MyEscape II mount had fallen off the windscreen (second or third time in about 5 years). I had a look at the suction cup, and it was split and totally stuffed.

As luck would have it, I have a RAM brand windscreen mount, that I used to use to use on a hand held GPS. Simply a matter of removing the ball swivel fixture off the back of the Navman, and screwing the RAM ball swivel joint on instead. Now you could pull the windscreen out of the vehicle using the RAM mount, if you wanted too.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12