Thread: Cooking Method differences.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Cooking Method differences.

Ignoring Brand, colour, shape, cost, Digital or manual controls and claims, I have been wondering what if any differences there are in reality between those 'Cookers' that use 'Hot Air' to cook with.
    Years ago we bought one of those Turbo Cookers, the big glass bowl you put in the food and the lid on top contained an element (Halogen or Radiant) and a fan to blow Hot air around the food.
    I have recently watched an Infomercial on a major brand 'Air Fryer' (worth $500) and it appeared to be use the same arrangement as the glass bowl Turbo cooker.
    While I appreciate some will work better and do more (volume) than others, I am more interested in HOW they cook, ie Heat and Hot Air.
    Some use a Halogen Globe which is supposed to radiate 'more' than a standard solid type of element but lets assume, all the cookers use the same element, what makes one different to another?
    Then going back a few years, Fan Forced Ovens were all the rage, so whats the difference there ?
    I recently used for the first time a type of 'Toaster Oven' with a rotisserie and cooked a 1.2kg Pork rolled roast in it.
    It cooked it beautifully all the way through and didnt quite make the rind into 'crackling'.
    I should have stopped it with the rind near the element for a few minutes to allow that to happen I guess.
    The only other time I have used a rotisserie was one that stands a chicken vertical and cooks it.

I am losing some of my sense of taste and now just cant eat as much of what I fancy but I do like looking at both how to and whats cooked.

So how do the members of Austech like to cook, not so much what but HOW and with what?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,105 Times in 9,100 Posts

I cook all ways, but I have two Aldi convection cookers that I use from time to time (usually some time like Christmas when I may have to cook for a multitude) and require multiple ovens at different temperatures....there's an art to using them, but they work fine and are uber cheap...

Never used an expensive one.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

I use a "turbo oven" to cook a roast for SWMBO and I regularly. If were' doing a roast for the family, the son usually fires up the Weber. Different methods have gained and lost popularity over the years, is one better than another? That is the question.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Don't you find the hot air versions tend to make the food a bit drier somehow?