Thread: Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Default Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony

I didn't watch the Opening Ceremony and from all accounts I didn't miss much. I happened to tune in to the closing ceremony just as they were playing the Yothu Yindi hit "Treaty". This wonderful song, and it is genuinely catchy, has as its chorus "Treaty yeah treaty now treaty yeah treaty now". One verse contains the words:

This land was never given up
    This land was never bought and sold
    The planting of the union jack
    Never changed our law at all
    Some of the lyrics are written in some obscure Aboriginal language. A later "remix" apparently omitted most of the English verses.

I didn't bother watching any further. Political statements like this should have no place in the Commonwealth Games.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-04-18)

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

The Closing ceremony was a FARSE as Channel 7 was not allowed to broadcast the full closing ceremony. Funny thing was having 9 X 24 inch Monitors in my sat room and having plenty of sat boxes that can do ???????, I was able to see (on different sats) what was going on and it was completely different to what one monitor showed which was the normal Channel 7 that everyone sees on FTA TV. The person that decide to keep out the athletes for the normal channel 7 viewing show be tared and feathered and to be strapped to a pole so people can stone it..
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 16-04-18 at 10:44 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-04-18)

Thanks

it was a joke THEY DID NOT COUGH UP THE COIN some one else won the rights
    and so be it fkn suck it up 7

but thank god its over been a joke up here
    with all the road closures and businesses loosing money
    because of the games
    Last edited by fandtm666; 16-04-18 at 10:56 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Keith (17-04-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    it was a joke but only one that can be blamed is them
    THEY DID NOT COUGH UP THE COIN some one else won the rights
    and so be it fkn suck it up 7
    Yes. it a disgrace not seeing Kurt Fearnley carries the Australian flag. Everyone in Australia show have seen this. The other people that have seen this is outsider out of this country and some with good satellite systems in this country. The funny thing is Channel 7 had on Optus D1 FTA feed a Brilliant sparking 12 M/bit per second feed but guess what I would say they were not allowed to show that one. Asiasat 5 had the Best Feed the Six of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,479 Times in 1,537 Posts

As usual, Australia shines as amateurs! We are the laughing stock. To me it was more a political ego closing.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

DB44 (16-04-18),eaglem (19-04-18),Keith (17-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I didn't watch the opening or any events or the closing
    In fact, isn't the Comm Games dead? What, being best at something when you leave the 4 strongest countries out so you can win.... ok

From what i read this morning, an American Company was hired for the closing entertainment
    Perhaps we should be grateful Meat Loaf wasn't sent back over for a repeat of the AFL GF performance
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (16-04-18),eaglem (19-04-18),Keith (17-04-18),lsemmens (17-04-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,107 Times in 9,100 Posts

Why, oh why do we insist on putting ex politicians in charge of these things....FFS, will we ever learn?

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Perhaps we should be grateful Meat Loaf wasn't sent back over for a repeat of the AFL GF performance
    Oh man....why did you have to bring that up.....jeeez.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-04-18),ol' boy (16-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Why, oh why do we insist on putting ex politicians in charge of these things
    Yes I think he is a Lawyer Too. LOL.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I didn't watch the Opening Ceremony and from all accounts I didn't miss much. I happened to tune in to the closing ceremony just as they were playing the Yothu Yindi hit "Treaty". This wonderful song, and it is genuinely catchy, has as its chorus "Treaty yeah treaty now treaty yeah treaty now". One verse contains the words:

Some of the lyrics are written in some obscure Aboriginal language. A later "remix" apparently omitted most of the English verses.

I didn't bother watching any further. Political statements like this should have no place in the Commonwealth Games.
    You might this funny.

Peter Garrett and Paul Kelly did the heavy lifting in the song writing stakes

Looks like they really are stuck that I have spoken about earlier.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

DB44 (17-04-18),eaglem (19-04-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    The Closing ceremony was a FARSE as Channel 7 was not allowed to broadcast the full closing ceremony. Funny thing was having 9 X 24 inch Monitors in my sat room and having plenty of sat boxes that can do ???????, I was able to see (on different sats) what was going on and it was completely different to what one monitor showed which was the normal Channel 7 that everyone sees on FTA TV. The person that decide to keep out the athletes for the normal channel 7 viewing show be tared and feathered and to be strapped to a pole so people can stone it..
    So, are you saying that Channel 7's whinge about the feed was BS? Did other feeds actually show the Aussie athletes and a propper closing ceremony?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

AND we paid a US company $46 million for that crap...............

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (17-04-18)

Thanks

I was talking to one of the local business owners here on the Gold Coast this morning. These particular people were planning to open a business and rushed it for the Games. They and other businesses were told to expect enormous numbers of visitors. Whilst there were a lot of people here for the games, it seems that few local businesses outside of those in the venues really benefited. Local consensus amongst many I have spoken with is that the organisers scared many away, locals and visitors alike, talking about things like 2 hour commutes to get to work and enormous crowds making some tasks impossible. None of this came to pass. The question was raised as to why Politicians are appointed to manage these events. The business people I spoke with this morning were also disgusted at the treatment of athletes, the useless and endless speeches by politicians and the emphasis on indigenous matters to the detriment of a focus on the region, the state and the country.

But I was told one story which absolutely disgusted me. Apparently there were many information sessions for business owners in the lead up to the Games. Apparently one such session involved quite a number of these business owners being lectured by an indigenous women, who demanded respect and used analogies such as barging into someones home uninvited and making yourself at home, raiding the pantry, bar etc.

I was interrupted and did not finish this conversation, so I don't know if this woman's aboriginal ancestry was at all obvious from her appearance. And I can only imagine how well this would have gone down with business owners, particularly small business owners. Had I attended I would have either challenged her or been so speechless with shock and rage that I was unable to do so before it was too late. Or perhaps, if I thought about it in time, I would have just shut up for the sake of my business and my own peace of mind lest I fall foul of 18C and Gillian Trigg's infamous star chamber. The fact that Gillian has moved on would not have saved me if I had dared to say something to offend this person. Most of us don't want to become unwilling public figures, which would be the inevitable result of challenging these new orthodoxies in a public forum.
    Last edited by DB44; 17-04-18 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Peter Garrett and Paul Kelly did the heavy lifting in the song writing stakes
    Thanks for the link. Why am I not surprised!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I was talking to one of the local business owners here on the Gold Coast this morning. These particular people were planning to open a business and rushed it for the Games. They and other businesses were told to expect enormous numbers of visitors. Whilst there were a lot of people here for the games, it seems that few local businesses outside of those in the venues really benefited. Local consensus amongst many I have spoken with is that the organisers scared many away, locals and visitors alike, talking about things like 2 hour commutes to get to work and enormous crowds making some tasks impossible. None of this came to pass. The question was raised as to why Politicians are appointed to manage these events. The business people I spoke with this morning were also disgusted at the treatment of athletes, the useless and endless speeches by politicians and the emphasis on indigenous matters to the detriment of a focus on the region, the state and the country.

But I was told one story which absolutely disgusted me. Apparently there were many information sessions for business owners in the lead up to the Games. Apparently one such session involved quite a number of these business owners being lectured by an indigenous women, who demanded respect and used analogies such as barging into someones home uninvited and making yourself at home, raiding the pantry, bar etc.

I was interrupted and did not finish this conversation, so I don't know if this woman's aboriginal ancestry was at all obvious from her appearance. And I can only imagine how well this would have gone down with business owners, particularly small business owners. Had I attended I would have either challenged her or been so speechless with shock and rage that I was unable to do so before it was too late. Or perhaps, if I thought about it in time, I would have just shut up for the sake of my business and my own peace of mind lest I fall foul of 18C and Gillian Trigg's infamous star chamber. The fact that Gillian has moved on would not have saved me if I had dared to say something to offend this person. Most of us don't want to become unwilling public figures, which would be the inevitable result of challenging these new orthodoxies in a public forum.
    Wait until 18C is expended by the ALP after the next election as their leaked documents reveal.....BEWARE people.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (17-04-18),lsemmens (18-04-18)