Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banking Royal Commission

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Banking Royal Commission

Its been so over due!
    And its scope needs to be far wider than what it currently is.
    I'd like to see them look deeply into false loan defaulting and collection practises.
    Not just the investing side which is under the spotlight now.

I've watched some of the live proceedings, and some of the practices have been nothing short of alarming and disgusting
    I was caught up in a CBA issue around 5 years ago, i wish i had this kind of help at the time.

Now they need to do something with this info, not just cast a wide brush, start pinning down individuals and hold them accountable for their actions
    Its only fair on the people the banks have ruined the lives of.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and governing body assembled to keep an eye on the banks has proven to be pathetic and utterly useless.

Its also shown what a tool Barnaby Joyce is... or is that a liar? What was he trying to protect???

Some more info here:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-04-18 at 03:56 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (20-04-18),eaglem (21-04-18),fandtm666 (20-04-18),Keith (22-04-18)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,074 Times in 9,093 Posts

The banks have been out of control ever since the Commonwealth was sold....IMO anyway. It's no coincidence that the Commonwealth has been at the forefront either.

BUT, as disgusting as it is (and everyone knew it would be so) most of it is not illegal. I believe that we should examine all sorts of institutions in the same way, not just the financial sector.

Trouble is of course, that we will be selective in who we inquire against and it will be politically driven. Do you think the ALP will include some of the unconscionable behavior of unions? Not likely.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (20-04-18),fandtm666 (20-04-18)

Thanks

is anyone really surprised and to think its only the tip of the iceberg

It has been long overdue but we had one side of parliament dead set against it

now all we need is one into the unions but alas here once again we have the other
    side dead set against it even though the unions are worse than the banks.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

DB44 (20-04-18),enf (20-04-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    is anyone really surprised and to think its only the tip of the iceberg

It has been long overdue but we had one side of parliament dead set against it

now all we need is one into the unions but alas here once again we have the other
    side dead set against it even though the unions are worse than the banks.
    I wouldn't say worse....just as bad though some of them.

Not all banks and financial institutions have been shown to be heavily engaged in this sort of behavior either. Rather its the banks and institutions like AMP who are long established and trusted. Shows that corruption (even if it's not always technically illegal) always seeps in where faith and no oversight is involved.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I wish my old man was still around to see this. He always knew they were crooked. He called his local bank manager Ali Baba and his local branch Aladdin's Cave. He dealt with most of the Big Banks over the years and he hated them all equally.

The trouble of course is that the people responsible will almost certainly get off scott-free. If we're very lucky there may be a scapegoat or two sacrificed. More likely it will, as usual, be the shareholders who end up paying. I expect when the next AGM's come up bonuses will be as big as ever.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I believe that we should examine all sorts of institutions in the same way, not just the financial sector.

Absolutely!
    We would end up with huge budget surplus if EVERY government institution and infrastructure projects were to be examined like this and find out in who's pockets all the huge cost blowouts really end up.

No wonder our top banker Turnbull was against it, he would have known all along what was going to happen.

Don't know why Unions here matter. Are the funded with our tax money? I thought they only get money from membership fees and relatively few are members these days.
    But maybe I have there NFC.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Banks and financial institutions encouraging people to borrow more than they can afford in repayments has been going on for decades, particularly regarding homes and property.

Customers are basically set up to fail, so the financial institution can foreclose on the property... all legal under the terms of their contract.

Unions?.... I don't think too many of us would be overly shocked by anything that may be revealed with a royal commission into unions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Absolutely!

Don't know why Unions here matter. Are the funded with our tax money? I thought they only get money from membership fees and relatively few are members these days.
    But maybe I have there NFC.
    Unions matter because their political arm will be the next government. Even though they represent less than 20% of workers. Some, most notably the CFMEU lately have openly and publicly boasted that they have, and will continue, to use their financial muscle to break the law.

If that's OK by you then so be it. You have every right to feel that way.

Again, not all banks have behaved this way. Mine is an internet bank and has not even been mentioned AFAIK. It's financial services have always been excellent and it's interest rates on both sides of the ledger realistic.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Lucky the banks did not get their way with the government in stripping the unions of their superannuation funds. The union funds are returning their members (not just union members) a far higher return than the banks were
    Maybe, and this is a maybe the government may have been interested as the unions derive financial benefit from these schemes and indirectly the labor party
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks

As Home Loans are now common place... With low interest rates.

I'll bet you Banks have found thier new profitable business is Debt Collection!

Because the gloves are off and no rules apply..
    Well, they do but all lay in the Lenders hands.

They can claim it cost them $100k to recover thier money and what are you going to do about it???

Spend money you don't have taking them to court?

The Banks new secret cash cow.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-04-18 at 08:23 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    As Home Loans are now common place... With low interest rates.

I'll bet you Banks have found thier new profitable business is Debt Collection!

Because the gloves are off and no rules apply..
    Well, they do but all lay in the Lenders hands.

They can claim it cost them $100k to recover thier money and what are you going to do about it???

Spend money you don't have taking them to court?

The Banks new secret cash cow.
    Hmmmm...reasonable speculation I suppose, but got any proof?

I'm reminded of the old Jean Paul Getty line...."Owe the banks $100, it's YOUR problem. Owe the banks $100 million, it's theirs."

It can bite both ways I guess....like I said, it seems to be largely the majors and large trusted financial institutions.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, I got proof

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What's the difference between the Commonwealth Bank and a Prostitute?

The Prostitute stops charging you after you're dead!
    The Eagle Flies High!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eaglem For This Useful Post:

allover (21-04-18),enf (21-04-18),irritant (03-05-18),ol' boy (22-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

FFS, now CBA has lost 20million customers details

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Lost in 2016 and no one was told....hahahahahaha ridiculous.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Details of 20million accounts, of a bank in a country with 25million population that would normally have to be divided with 3 other major and many minor banks ?

Keeping something like this a secret for a couple of years beggars the question, what else are they hiding and the Royal commission didn't find it, it was a media report.

You would think if this was properly examined, the person who the destroyed the tapes would have come forward and confirmed that. Surely with such sensitive information there would be also more than one individual involved. A few dead rats here.

Perhaps should fire up a tor browser and have a look what these accounts are going for.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Lost in 2016 and no one was told....hahahahahaha ridiculous.
    Wait... Just wait until they look into the CBA's loan foreclosures

Will make everything they have found so far look like child's play

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Its been so over due!
    And its scope needs to be far wider than what it currently is.
    I'd like to see them look deeply into false loan defaulting and collection practises.
    Not just the investing side which is under the spotlight now.

I've watched some of the live proceedings, and some of the practices have been nothing short of alarming and disgusting
    I was caught up in a CBA issue around 5 years ago, i wish i had this kind of help at the time.

Now they need to do something with this info, not just cast a wide brush, start pinning down individuals and hold them accountable for their actions
    Its only fair on the people the banks have ruined the lives of.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and governing body assembled to keep an eye on the banks has proven to be pathetic and utterly useless.

Its also shown what a tool Barnaby Joyce is... or is that a liar? What was he trying to protect???

Some more info here:
    Turdbull it trying to protect the banks today as he said he refused the extension of the running of the Royal Commission of the Banks

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I have only seen one article that states Kelly O"Dwyers position prior to her becoming a minister. Remember her? she was the very vocal advocate that there should be no royal commission into banking, remember that! . Her position was a senior executive for the ANZ. I would think her chances of getting a rosy position back on the board of ANZ has diminished. And don't forget there was some else who came from a banking back ground as well who was against the royal commission
    This not a shot at the Liberals, but politicians in general, my opinion is they all turn to sh1t over time
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I have only seen one article that states Kelly O"Dwyers position prior to her becoming a minister. Remember her? she was the very vocal advocate that there should be no royal commission into banking, remember that! . Her position was a senior executive for the ANZ. I would think her chances of getting a rosy position back on the board of ANZ has diminished. And don't forget there was some else who came from a banking back ground as well who was against the royal commission
    This not a shot at the Liberals, but politicians in general, my opinion is they all turn to sh1t over time
    Hahaha...did you know yesterday was politicians day?

May the turd....

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (04-05-18)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast