Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ness 3G Dialler or NBN friendly alternatives

Thanks

Question Ness 3G Dialler or NBN friendly alternatives

Hey guys,

Need to convert over to NBN, so will lose analogue dialling and have been looking at alternatives.

I've got a Bosch 6000 and it will be FTTN, so UNI-V isn't an option from my understanding and that option sounds a little flakey, or at least could be.

Bosch do an add-on board, but it's only 3G which after seeing 2G get canned and 5G almost available I have some concerns on a reasonably expensive upgrade. From what I've been told, you can only use it with their app and it won't just do domestic dialling / sms to my mobile like it does now (dialling only) so I need to consider the additional ongoings too.

The Ness 3G seems like it would do the trick and a simple option, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing any downsides, especially as they don't seem all that recommended/spoken about on here much which is always a little concerning!

I've read a lot of posts and there doesn't seem like too many advances since last time I looked either...

What are people going for these days and any reason I shouldn't just got with a Ness 3G dialler?

Any tips, or guidance appreciated!

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I think the bosch 3G module can do sms and dialling.

Thanks

Thanks secure and how certain are you?

It would make sense to me, but I was told by the installer that they don't and that they only communicate with the myalarm website and everything routes through there. You've given me some hope! I might give Bosch a call, unless you can say for sure that they can.

I don't suppose you have experience with the Ness 3G Dialler by any chance as well do you?!

Cheers

Thanks

The Ness 3G, It just mimics a phone line. Very simple device

Thanks

Thanks xr5adam and the Ness unit seems like a simple and suitable option.

There are cheaper diallers online, but I haven't read about any reliability issues with the Ness version and I don't mind spending a bit more for a known brand.

If anyone else has any has experience on why its not a good idea, or other suggestions it would be great too

Otherwise, so far it looks like it might be worth a shot.

Thanks

Thanks

If you need it to just work like it is now, then the Ness is the way to go, there will be no additional programming required, and all you need is a voice sim card.

Thanks

Why not just connect to the UNI-V port of the NBN modem? I've connected numerous Bosch 6000 to this port, and for SMS notifications they seem to work OK. I know there are drawbacks, but at least it gets you going again.

I've also used the Bosch 3G module for SMS reporting, and again it worked OK. The Bosch IP module only works via the MyAlarm portal.

Thanks

Thanks everyone

I ordered a Ness unit and it's dialing out.
    It did require some programming, but that's because of how it was setup initially. I had a private number and so I had it prefixing the mobile number with 1832, so that caller ID was visible when it called my mobile. A test dial when I manually put in the number worked, which helped to troubleshoot why it wasn't working in an alarm state. Might be handy for anyone else in the same situation, so making a note

alarmman, I would've liked to have used UNI-V and then failover to the Ness ideally if that was ever down. But I have FTTN unfortunately and it's not an option with that from my understanding.

I'm still trying to work out one issue. To be honest, it could have even been an issue when the installer set it up and it wasn't picked up, but I can't say for sure.
    It dials the first number fine, but doesn't seem to progress to the next number. I answer the phone but don't press any buttons to acknowledge and my previous alarm would then dial me again, followed by the next number.

This one doesn't seem to do that.

It might be that to acknowledge it you just need to answer with this one.

On the Ness, it almost looks like one long stream of numbers all at once, instead of discretely dialing each one which doesn't look right to me. But it goes so fast it's really hard to say!

If anything comes to mind for anyone that might help, it would be great, otherwise I'll try it again and leave, or reject the call. I've made enough noise for my neighbours as it is today, so I'll give them a break ;-)

Thanks!

• The Following User Says Thank You to TechTronic For This Useful Post:

secure (16-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

You could just use an ATA plugged in to the FTTN Modem to give you a Analogue Phone point.

Thanks

Default DAS 60el security system and 3G Sim dialler disfunction

Hi,
    I have an old ( but still working well) DAS 60el security alarm system that I’m trying to ‘plug and go’ with the new dialler purchased from Radio parts.
    The issue is that although the dialler can receive calls and it also looks like it can make call independently of the alarm system, it will not dial out ( to my phone as in previous times through landline) when the alarm is activated.
    Now because NBN is here, and I’m not replacing alarm system, I have to find out why it’s not working.
    Calls to technicians have left me with ‘ no expertise in old DAS 60el system’

Can anyone please help me? My appreciated.

Thanks

Plug a normal phone into the new dialler and ring your phone and see if it works. To confirm your new dialler and sim card is working.
    Maybe the old DAS el60 is only doing pulse dialling or something. I would assume your new dialler unit will only do DTMF tone dialling.
    Yes very old alarm, probably better off upgrading it.
    If you have a smart phone get something like a bosch 2000 or 3000 and free app. If you have internet onsite.

Thanks

NEVER rely on the NBN for your alarm monitoring.
    Most NTDs do not have battery backup, no does the sites network infrastructure eg switches etc - thus no 240V - no alarm reporting
    Large parts of the NBN have NO or very limited battery backup on the NBN side, thus no 240 - no alarm reporting

AS2201 requires a minimum of 16 hours battery backup on a fully monitored, continuously powered, by 240V, alarm system

Thanks

Default DAS 60el and 3G sim dialler

Thanks for your reply. I’ll give it a go
    i did notice that we had some problems with the dialler getting it ( the dialler) to accept a date and time in the programming.
    The instructions were obviously an Asian written manual and is scant at best.
    Perhaps there is a better manual available?

Thanks

Was it the Ness one you purchased or an online one?

I have heard (not tested myself) that some of the online ones don't work that well due to the use of cheaper parts....

Thanks

The Ness 3G dialler I have only gets one bar of reception, and often triggers an alarm state. Sound normal? It’s hard to work out if it’s dropping out and causing the alarm, or if it’s a failure of the dialler itself/glitch. Any suggestions?

Thanks

What alarm panel is it connected too? I think it might be more the phone line supervision on the alarm panel causing the issue and causing the alarm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    What alarm panel is it connected too? I think it might be more the phone line supervision on the alarm panel causing the issue and causing the alarm.
    Good point...
    it’s a Ness d16x

Thanks

Ok check p89 (line fault monitor) and it was set to off.

Thanks

What makes you think it's the 3G dialler causing the alarm state? Sure it's not an issue with the alarm system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    What makes you think it's the 3G dialler causing the alarm state? Sure it's not an issue with the alarm system.
    As it’s reporting 3G dialleras the zone in alarm

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast