Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Oscilloscope

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default Workbench Oscilloscope

These are the current options, a full sized bench, an addon to a laptop, and a handheld kit?

Ok, I guess this choice will be a matter of Funds vs Need. I realize the two cheaper units will not do the job of the full size bench, but do I really need all of the features included with the full size bench. The bench is going fairly cheap though, it's missing ch4 position knob!

Workbench Oscilloscope 100mhz 4 ch $175 usd? Bidding

Laptop Addon 20mhz 2 ch $85 usd

Handheld 200khz 1 ch $30 usd

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Go the bench top type

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

cmangle (01-05-18)

Thanks

+1 for the bench one.
    The others will have lots of limitations that will bug you for ever!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Redpacketboy For This Useful Post:

cmangle (01-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

+1 for the benchtop unit, which goes to 200MHz, but only if you are capable of utilizing its full potential.

Number 2 is limited to using with a computer and goes only to 20MHz, while number 3 is good for audio frequencies and VLF only.

It's wise to have a self-contained unit, although 200MHz is useful for those who work with RF including radio amateurs. If you lack experience using an oscilloscope, the Textronix will (probably) be difficult for you to operate as it's more a lab. or RF service unit.

If your interest is only audio frequencies and lower, the top unit is overkill in terms of frequency capability.

Think carefully about what you plan using the CRO for as it's foolish to spend money unnecessarily.

Make sure that you obtain a suitable set of probes to go with your purchase if they are not already included.
    Last edited by tristen; 01-05-18 at 12:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

cmangle (01-05-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    These are the current options, a full sized bench, an addon to a laptop, and a handheld kit?

Ok, I guess this choice will be a matter of Funds vs Need. I realize the two cheaper units will not do the job of the full size bench, but do I really need all of the features included with the full size bench. The bench is going fairly cheap though, it's missing ch4 position knob!

Workbench Oscilloscope 100mhz 4 ch $175 usd? Bidding

Laptop Addon 20mhz 2 ch $85 usd

Handheld 200khz 1 ch $30 usd

I have all three, well a bit more

Definitely a benchtop unit, that is the one I use ALL the time.

The add-on for a lappy I thought would be practical, it is not. I have never used it, other than setting it up.

30 bucks for a little handheld for audio is no money, get that as well. So many times useful for tracking signals with often heavy and hard to reach audio equipment while it is set up and in use.

...and remember: Better not(always) needing it, than not having it when you NEED it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

cmangle (01-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

For that money, I'd definitely get the bench unit. That's cheap as chips for such a good CRO. With the bandwidth, it's not just about what frequencies you can display, but accurate depiction of waveforms at higher frequencies. You find with low bandwidth CROs that corners of square waves will round off, once you start looking at pulses at small pulse widths. 200MHz is a bit of overkill, but for the dollars, it's well worth it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (01-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

OK, was it divine intervention or did I miss out on a GREAT deal.

The above O-scope was on auction at eBay. Considering the specs, I was willing to spend up to $175.00 usd(and had NO DOUBT it would go at least that high).

My last bid yesterday morning before I left the house was $75.00 (shipping would be $39.00 additional) and I set an alarm on cell phone at 2pm (bidding was to end 2:14pm).

I brought my laptop with me and could pullover at 2:00pm to up bid, because we all know in the last few minutes/seconds eBay bidding goes thru the roof.

I'm going down a road that Ive gone down a thousand times at the same speed I've always gone down this road and don't I get pulled over for speeding. 42mph in a 25MPH zone.

Needless to say while I'm getting the ticket, the cell phone alarm goes off, can't get to laptop and the above O-Scope sold for $77.00usd . . . ARRGGGGHHHHHHHH

So did God save me from a white elephant or did I miss out on a great deal, but who knows where the bidding would have gone!

Premium Member
    Thanks

If that Techtronix CRO was in perfect working order with the only problem being a missing knob you did miss out on a fantastic deal. I've seen lesser spec Techtronix units go for way more than that in recent times but the more modern and compact LCD CRO's are taking over and they use up far less bench space as well.

I still call them all CRO's even though the cathode ray tube is somewhat antiquated and has fallen from grace (it's being thrifty with syllables)
    Last edited by Skepticist; 03-05-18 at 12:14 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

cmangle (03-05-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

At least you saved the money you would have spent on the CRO to offset against the fine. Personally, I would rather have spent too much for the CRO than give my money to the local constabulary where you get nothing to show for your hard earned.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (03-05-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Cmangle, you need to learn to go with the times and start using your phone for something else than talking, like bidding on Ebay

I thought the bid price of $175 was at the time of your OP, not your set limit. I would have expected it to go higher than that.

There will be more opportunities, maybe not as good maybe better. Don't give up.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

cmangle (03-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

Banned

Thanks

Ok gentlemen (mates?) next Oscilloscope, Tektronix 564 Storage Oscilloscope, under the microscope for purchase . . . nowheres near the capabilities of the other, 10mhz bw and 2ch(?), but more inline for my planned activities, i.e. no RF or troubleshooting.

I'm a little (a LOT) in the dark about the 3 plugins though. Can someone shed some light as to functions?

Type 3A1 Amplifier
    Type 3B4 Time Base
    . . . and a "vertical" plugin is included

Price is $50 usd. Good Bad Average?

Any input on price/functionality/quality of scope appreciated!

thanks chris
    Last edited by cmangle; 03-05-18 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

I'm going down a road that Ive gone down a thousand times at the same speed I've always gone down this road and don't I get pulled over for speeding. 42mph in a 25MPH zone.

Needless to say while I'm getting the ticket, the cell phone alarm goes off, can't get to laptop and the above O-Scope sold for $77.00usd . . . ARRGGGGHHHHHHHH

Geez I think I will move to the USA lol. I figure that you were 24 Kilometers per hour over the posted speed. In South Australia, this would have been the result
    Exceed the speed limit by 20km/h or more but less than 30km/h. $754 plus $60 victims of crime levy, oh and 5 licence demerit points (your only allowed to rack up 12 before you loose your licence)

edit sorry did not finish reading your post before I replied how much was your fine?
    Last edited by wal1; 03-05-18 at 05:51 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wal1 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (04-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Cmangle, you need to learn to go with the times and start using your phone for something else than talking, like bidding on Ebay

I thought the bid price of $175 was at the time of your OP, not your set limit. I would have expected it to go higher than that.

There will be more opportunities, maybe not as good maybe better. Don't give up.
    Nomeat, I was ready to spend $175usd, as I said above, it would surely have sold for that much or more, IF I could have bid on/in time!

How did I know I was the only counter bidder . . . !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    Ok gentlemen (mates?) next Oscilloscope, Tektronix 564 Storage Oscilloscope, under the microscope for purchase . . . nowheres near the capabilities of the other, 10mhz bw and 2ch(?), but more inline for my planned activities, i.e. no RF or troubleshooting.

I'm a little (a LOT) in the dark about the 3 plugins though. Can someone shed some light as to functions?

Type 3A1 Amplifier
    Type 3B4 Time Base
    . . . and a "vertical" plugin is included

Price is $50 usd. Good Bad Average?

Any input on price/functionality/quality of scope appreciated!

thanks chris
    Nah 10mhz is too slow.
    Sounds like it needs some fixing too.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

cmangle (04-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Analog storage CRO would have been the cutting edge in its day but that was long ago and it's now close to 'museum' status.
    Techtronix gear is well known for it's longevity and reliability though.

$50USD sounds a bit much to me for an old 10MHz unit these days

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

cmangle (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Was a quality bit of gear back in the early 60's, but it's a bit too low specced. 10MHz is too small a bandwidth to show decent pulse edges, if you're wanting it for that type of thing. Would be fine for audio or stuff, or signals in the KHz range.

Last year I sold one of these on Gumtree, for AU $130.00.

A nice bit of gear, but I hardly ever used it. I've got a Tektronix TDS-210 DSO, so didn't need the HP any more

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (04-05-18),loopyloo (04-05-18)

Thanks

Here is a nice little CRO that should suit your needs, starting $50 and no bids yet, 5 star reviews:

I recommend this for you because it looks straight forward and easy to use and has 60MHz bandwith. Even if you say you don't need RF now, you will regret it when you do need it one day.
    You can easily carry it around too and won't take up much space on your bench. Some of those older analog ones are very deep.

I checked out 'completed listings' for this model and most got sold between $71 and $152.50
    I would go up to $127.50 (always place an odd limit).

Edit: Like Skepticist I call all these things CROs. It is a more modern DSO of course.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-05-18 at 12:02 AM.

cmangle (04-05-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Here is a nice little CRO that should suit your needs, starting $50 and no bids yet, 5 star reviews:

The description also suggests that unit is faulty.

"The unit powers up but the top 1/3 of the screen is dark."

Banned

Thanks

I recommend this for you because it looks straight forward and easy to use and has 60MHz bandwith. Even if you say you don't need RF now, you will regret it when you do need it one day.
    You can easily carry it around too and won't take up much space on your bench. Some of those older analog ones are very deep.

I checked out 'completed listings' for this model and most got sold between $71 and $152.50
    I would go up to $127.50 (always place an odd limit).

Edit: Like Skepticist I call all these things CROs. It is a more modern DSO of course.

Thanks, nomeat will bid when I get home . . .

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast