Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aldi upgrades Bonus to Permanant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Aldi upgrades Bonus to Permanant.

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That would be good if that were so, however, there is NO MENTION of that fact
    Plenty of info on the Telstra CrowdSupport site about the same issue:

Last edited by peteramjet; 29-07-18 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Most networks now include voice calls on 4G LTE. (VoLTE) on compatible phones.

Telstra has been operating VoLTE since 2015.

In areas where LTE isn't available, or of you have a phone that's not compatible, then yes, it will connect voice calls via 3G.
    Resellers of Telstra don't get it yet.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Resellers of Telstra don't get it yet.
    Yep, which is why those resellers say... uses 'part/s' of the Telstra network.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That would be good if that were so, however, there is NO MENTION of that fact and, IIRC, my last phone could make and recieve calls in that area. The system also seems smart enough to ONLY send that message to ONE phone in the car despite the fact that all are 4G capable. I sometimes travel with friends and they have observed this too. If the system is smart enough to tell you who you have called, and who has called you, you'd think it would also be smart enough to know that it has already told you several times that day.

Hmmm... maybe we shouldn't call them 'Smart' Phones after all
    ...or maybe you could block messages that come from that number(assuming it is always the same one), if your phone has that Smart feature.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-07-18 at 03:40 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a couple of devises that are 4G capable however neither will work here because they cant receive that signal on the fairly recently introduced 700 MHZ band that is being brought into use in rural/regional areas.

And like that Oil advert of years gone past, maybe not all phones have the same software operational in them.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Yep, which is why those resellers say... uses 'part/s' of the Telstra network.
    yes hence the parts of comment earlier. Found all this out after I churned to a Telstra reseller
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

I am wondering if Telstra is servicing their customers first and as they upgrade to allow more users, they are allowing that portion of their service they 'On Sell' to become available to them?

I know from notices in the local paper, both Telstra and Optus are making changes to their services with Telstra opening a new tower near Clarence (near the Zig Zag tourist Railway) just East of Lithgow, a noted 'Black Spot'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I recently spent a week travelling in Victoria with my wife. Me on Telstra, she is/was with Vodafone.

We travelled from Bendigo across to Warracknabeal. She had drop outs galore and we got to Warracknabeal and stayed there for 3 days. She had no signal whatsoever......in the middle of town. I had to go to the post office (which had a massive Telstra mobile tower) and buy a Telstra prepaid sim and port her number while I ate a steak at the pub at the same time (multiskilling) . I didnt consider Optus, I had a look at their coverage map when I got back and it was pretty spotty through there.

If you travel outside DanielAndrewsville, oops, I mean Melbourne, it pays to have a service to connect to Telstra as backup. Or, in my opinion, just be on their network in the first place. There are many resellers to chose from these days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am wondering if Telstra is servicing their customers first and as they upgrade to allow more users, they are allowing that portion of their service they 'On Sell' to become available to them?

I know from notices in the local paper, both Telstra and Optus are making changes to their services with Telstra opening a new tower near Clarence (near the Zig Zag tourist Railway) just East of Lithgow, a noted 'Black Spot'.
    Telstra's upgrades are for their customers firstly and then a couple of years later as new technology comes out they will push it out to their resellers/second tier suppliers.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post

Hmmm... maybe we shouldn't call them 'Smart' Phones after all
    ...or maybe you could block messages that come from that number(assuming it is always the same one), if your phone has that Smart feature.
    They never forward the calling number for these messages - so cannot block anything.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Or, in my opinion, just be on their network in the first place. There are many resellers to chose from these days.
    The resellers (Boost aside) only have access to the wholesale network, which is essentially the same coverage as Optus provides.

If you need the full coverage you will have to be with Telstra themselves (pre or post paid) or Boost.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    The resellers (Boost aside) only have access to the wholesale network, which is essentially the same coverage as Optus provides.

If you need the full coverage you will have to be with Telstra themselves (pre or post paid) or Boost.

Looking at the path I took recently against Telstra Wholesale and Optus maps, I would definitely be going with TW. Essentially the same coverage based on XX.X% coverage of the Australian population doesn't help you much when you have no signal.

If you are going on any sort of trip these days, porting is literally instant if you have the need to do so, such as I did with my wife's number. I used to keep a Telstra Pre Paid $2 sim in the glovebox, but got lazy and didnt replace it when I used it a couple of years ago.

Thanks

oh I don't know that the Telstra wholesale network is the same as Optus. Friends are in central oz at the moment and the running joke is how good the Optus service is compared to Telstra. This was also recently mentioned by Oceanboy in a recent post/thread. Couple of examples, only Optus had coverage at Kings Canyon and Williem Creek

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 30-07-18 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    oh I don't know that the Telstra wholesale network is the same as Optus.
    Not the same, intention wasn’t to convey it that way. The Telstra wholesale network essentially has the same areas covered as Optus, at least where they have towers. It doesn’t cover many of the regional/remote areas where there is only full Telstra retail network coverage.

The main point was, if you need the full Telstra coverage, then Aldi/Woolworths/Belong/etc won’t cover you, and you will need to use either Telstra themselves (pre or post paid) or Boost Mobile.

Edit: the maps below compare are good for comparison and show the extra coverage of the full Telstra retail network and the similarities between TW and Optus.

- Telstra Retail (ie Telstra and Boost)

- Telstra Wholesale (MVNO's such as Aldi, Woolworths, Belong, and all others)

- Optus (and MVNO's)
    Last edited by peteramjet; 31-07-18 at 10:32 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (31-07-18),lsemmens (31-07-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I believe these are a required safety message, as these sites only operate voice calls over VoLTE and have no 3G fall back. Essentially if your handset has no VoLTE capabilities then you can’t make voice calls, even to emergency services.
    I just looked at the coverage maps posted by Leroy and areas of our town have the same coverage as that of the offending town and I NEVER get messages from those spots.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

On the back of the ALDI SIM package is a notice saying that for your devise to take advantage of the 3G network, it must be compatible with the UMTS 3G network.

For the 4G/LTE network, it should support the following frequencies 700, 900*, 1800, 2100*, 2600MHZ.
    Those marked with the * are supported in limited locations.

Now if I am correct, the reason that the two 4G devises I have wont work here is because they dont support the 700 MHZ band which is now available here.
    Many years ago the were 2 fairly large Towns in the Central West where Telstra was available in one and Optus the other.
    There was a quite a few who did business in both towns and this meant they needed to have 2 phones which at the time were neither cheap to buy or use.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 31-07-18 at 01:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Aldi has just advised me by email of a further update to their plans.
    At the moment, if you have any unused Data by the end of the 'Month', it rolls over to the following 'Month' until either used during that 'Month' or the end of that 'Month' occurs.
    The Email I received today advises that from a Customers Next recharge (which MUST be done within 24 hours of being due) unused DATA will now Roll Over until a maximum of 30 GB is accumulated !! (Fat Chance) with no time limit imposed for it to be used
    This will apply to those who have selected 'Auto Recharge' without any further action needed to be taken by them.
    Also the email says that the Data balance will be shown in Gb's rather than Mb's as it is presently.

Its not much of a change but it only convinces me more that the cost of DATA isnt anywhere near what we're being charged currently.

The next finger crossed hope is to see an increase in the DATA allowance (even 500Mb) at no extra cost.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-08-18 at 03:48 PM.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12