Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldi upgrades Bonus to Permanant.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Aldi upgrades Bonus to Permanant.

I am on a $15 a month Value S plan that had a 500 Mb data allowance but Aldi was giving a 1 GB allowance as a 'Bonus' however I received an Email from Aldi advising me that from the 1st of May, The 1GB Bonus is now a permanent allowance on all plans.

Nothing has changed except I now have a 1.5Gb Data allowance that what ever is unused that Month will 'Roll Over' into the next but no further.

$15 a month (no contract), Unlimited Talk and Text, 1.5Gb Data that 'Rolls over' if not all used during that Month and uses 'Part of the Telstra Network ' works for me.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (04-05-18),gulliver (06-05-18),ol' boy (04-05-18)

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Aldi is the best.
    Up to a month ago My Aldi plan costed me 1.25 a month

However I was tempted to buy their 365day 20GB data block for $95.

Bugger, now it costs me $9.16 a month but I can talk, text and send piccies and cat videos until I drop* with Viber (end to end encrypted) when I am away from the comfort of my Wifi at home.

* Just kidding, I normally don't talk very much. I use it to tether my laptop when I am away from home.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

The ALDI (Telstra) Pre Paid SIM is a very handy tool for non Telstra Customers like me
    Especially if you are going to remote locations where only Telstra works, great in a Dual SIM phone

Thanks gordon

I just read this:
    Aldi 3G Mobile Broadband Speeds
    While 3G services are available across Aldi's entire network, only UMTS HSPA category 8 level services (16QAM) are provided. As a result connections are speed limited to a maximum download of 7.2Mbps with an average speed of about 3-4Mbps. This speed is comparable to normal home ADSL broadband, and is fast enough to stream YouTube video on standard quality settings.
    Do you find that gordon?
    My OPTUS Unlimited is also only 3G, but i get download speeds of 20-30MB/s all the time
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-05-18 at 10:11 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

OB, I don't kow where you got that info but I have 4G on Aldi all the time. Around 15-16MB/s when I have 2 bars. This works even when I am felling trees in my bush retreat. Optus not a chance when somebody came up there to vist me.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-05-18),ol' boy (05-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    OB, I don't kow where you got that info but I have 4G on Aldi all the time. Around 15-16MB/s when I have 2 bars. This works even when I am felling trees in my bush retreat. Optus not a chance when somebody came up there to vist me.
    Thanks nomeat, nice to know

I got the info from here, probably out of date

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

i have had a spare aldi for donkeys now , always comes in handy as OB mentioned when in
    no where land but also handy when selling or buying stuff on gumtree and alike.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Coverage Map

Premium Member

Thanks

Its only recently my actual area added the 700MZ band 4G service although 4G has been available 'In Town' for some time.
    Aldi of course who use 'Part of the Telstra Network' means with the Samsung phone I bought a few months ago now gives me access to the 4 G Telstra Network'

Oceanboy, I have never sent pictures and have only received one or 2 I only sent my first SMS 3 weeks ago so I have no idea whether its 'Fast' or Slow', sorry.

I have been trying to ring my Wife in the local shopping centre and annoyingly, the reception there is still as bloody woeful as it was way back when they closed down the CDMA network !!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Deleted.
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 27-07-18 at 11:54 AM.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member

Thanks

Since the last posting back in May, I have made and received a couple of Video calls, one from our daughter who is in a marginal reception area and except for the odd freeze, it seems to work ok.
    Our G'daughter has also video'd us and generally her calls from another area are less prone to freeze but again, it depends where she is of course.
    I have had to add a Data pack more than once as I was only using one phone but now I have replaced an older Medion one that just did not want to work with a Samsung J1 Mini, I am spreading the useage over both phones.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

nomeat it won't be 4G all the time, only in the 'parts'of the Telstra network they let you which seems to be in cities and regional towns. And even then when in 4G your calls are on the 3G network.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 28-07-18 at 09:16 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Since the last posting back in May, I have made and received a couple of Video calls,.
    For the first time in history, we received a video call from our daughter the other day, too. It was great! We got to see her newly purchased home. They live in QLD, We live in SA! Considering that telephones were relatively new when I was a kid, and now video calls are almost common place.

note to self: Make sure you are dressed before answering the phone from now on........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

admin (30-07-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Hmmm, never thought of THAT, hahahahaha.

Both my Daughter and G'daughter now live further away than before and to travel the 5 hours to there is something I am doubting I can handle now along with my daily routine carried out at home so we too had a great time seeing where they both live.

What I like about this is the COST.....
    For the $15 cost, the voice calls to both land line AND Mobile are free compared to the $1 per minute it used to cost from the home phone to our Mobile along with the SMS's etc.
    $2 everytime we made an STD call for up to 30 minutes.

The Videos probably use up some of the 1.5Gb of data but its a small price to pay I reckon.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    nomeat it won't be 4G all the time, only in the 'parts'of the Telstra network they let you which seems to be in cities and regional towns. And even then when in 4G your calls are on the 3G network.

Leroy
    Most networks now include voice calls on 4G LTE. (VoLTE) on compatible phones.

Telstra has been operating VoLTE since 2015.

In areas where LTE isn't available, or of you have a phone that's not compatible, then yes, it will connect voice calls via 3G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    For the first time in history, we received a video call from our daughter the other day, too. It was great! We got to see her newly purchased home. They live in QLD, We live in SA! Considering that telephones were relatively new when I was a kid, and now video calls are almost common place.

note to self: Make sure you are dressed before answering the phone from now on........
    For the first time my youngest son had TWO PHONES 'visiting' him on his birthday watching him blowing out the cake and unpacking presents.
    His older brother and sister who have moved out, celebrated with him (through Viber) with the phones mounted on makeshift stands on the table.

It looked somehow eerie and like a SciFi movie seeing and talking to the faces of your kids on 6" screens on the table behind the cake.

4G data on Aldi works super for me, away from any towns in my bush retreat. My phone set up as a hotspot could handle 4 devices simultaneuosly while I downloaded a show in a few minutes, because the FTA TV reception sucks. Really don't care what the voice calls run on as long as the reception is clear.

Premium Member

Thanks

Going on my phone screen, I am 4G here with one or 2 bars during any calls.
    I feel sure a few months ago not long after I bought the Samsung J1, it used to show both 3 and 4G depending where I was in the house but more often it read 3G.
    Now I rarely see the 3G indicator so have 'assumed' Telstra has upgrade/updated their services covering me.
    I am the same as Nomeat, I dont care if its powered by Gremlins in pink Tutu's so long as it works !!!

LSemmens
    Thanks

The only issue I have with the 4G network is the bl**dy text message I get every time I travel through Seven Hill, just out of Clare; "Hi, you are in a 4G Small Cell area....". Useful if you you are unaware of it, but, not EVERY time you travel through the bl**dy town, which, on some days could be several times!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The only issue I have with the 4G network is the bl**dy text message I get every time I travel through Seven Hill, just out of Clare; "Hi, you are in a 4G Small Cell area....". Useful if you you are unaware of it, but, not EVERY time you travel through the bl**dy town, which, on some days could be several times!
    I believe these are a required safety message, as these sites only operate voice calls over VoLTE and have no 3G fall back. Essentially if your handset has no VoLTE capabilities then you can’t make voice calls, even to emergency services.

Premium Member

Thanks

While it may be annoying, unfortunately neither the transmitter or the phone can count how many times you pass through that area.

I havent struck this here but then I dont get out that much.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    I believe these are a required safety message, as these sites only operate voice calls over VoLTE and have no 3G fall back. Essentially if your handset has no VoLTE capabilities then you can’t make voice calls, even to emergency services.
    That would be good if that were so, however, there is NO MENTION of that fact and, IIRC, my last phone could make and recieve calls in that area. The system also seems smart enough to ONLY send that message to ONE phone in the car despite the fact that all are 4G capable. I sometimes travel with friends and they have observed this too. If the system is smart enough to tell you who you have called, and who has called you, you'd think it would also be smart enough to know that it has already told you several times that day.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast