Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snow skiing in Oz in November?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default Snow skiing in Oz in November?

There was snow skiing yesterday in Upstate New York. That would be similar to snow skiing in Oz in November?

GloBULL Warming / Clmate Change / Weather what ever the PC term is . . . there is something wrong with the weather. But at least the US taxpayer is NOT donating $100,000,000 billion dolllars to some HORSEshit called the "Paris Accord" EVERY year. Bahamas committed the US to the "Paris Accord" but it was PRESIDENT Trump that pulled the US TAXPAYER out!

BTW, nobody in the past here in the US east coast has EVER gone snow skiing on MAY 5th!

Last edited by cmangle; 07-05-18 at 03:42 AM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Its more like September here
    And there is some really shaded chutes that can hold snow in December in Oz, but its very rare
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18),Onefella (08-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

Oceanboy, clearly in the above picture, that is not snow lying in a shaded chute! It is VERY unusual for that snow to be where it is.

Usually on the East Coast, no high(cooler) elevation like in the west/midwest Rockie mts, mid March is the last of the skiing season!

Thanks

Yawn , why start multiple threads about the same crap where people will say the
    same thing to you that you will not bother understanding.

getting boreing mate

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (08-05-18),LeroyPatrol (09-05-18),ol' boy (07-05-18),Onefella (08-05-18),Rick (09-05-18),Thala Dan (07-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    ...snow skiing on MAY 5th!
    Well that's your summer stuffed then...

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

Then don't read it fandtm666, I don't recall twisting your arm!

This was about Cinco de Mayo, and NONE of the above comments are the same . . . !

Thanks

Is snow in winter normal in New Jersey cmangle?

Geez, can't even remember the last time we had any here. Used to get it on the mountains between about early June and late August (our winter), but that's a distant memory now.
    Last edited by irritant; 07-05-18 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks

...But at least the US taxpayer is NOT donating $100,000,000 billion dolllars to some HORSEshit called the "Paris Accord" EVERY year...
    "The Art of the Deal"...I'll be willing to do a climate deal for the US. Just pay me $1,000,000 a year for the "Adrian's Accord"...
    Last edited by irritant; 07-05-18 at 08:17 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    Is snow in winter normal in New Jersey cmangle?.
    We get an occasional blizzard. Normal snowfall in south jersey is a couple good storms, 6 - 10 inches (15-25cm) and the rest are just a dusting, but not this year.

Where I live is between two large bodies of water(Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean) and east of the Appalachian mountains. The two bodies of water keep the air a little warmer and the snow has to make it over the mountains. The ONE exception is whats called a "Nor'easter", where the air is cold enough, a low pressure weather pattern comes up the east coast from the south, and pulls moisture off of the Atlantic Ocean, hits the cold Canadian air mass . . . and voila, that occasional blizzard becomes a SERIOUS snowstorm. 3-5 feet and higher. (1 - 1 1/2 m)

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

irritant (07-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

But, Dr Mohs and others, what makes this post different is that, this is the month of MAY!

Just 6 weeks before "spring" (yeah right) turns to "summer"!

Last Monday/Tuesday, 04/30~05/01, it went down below freezing here, no clouds in the sky here, or there would have been snow, but just 240m/380km north,Walton NY, it snowed like hell overnight, where the picture above in the OP was taken on Tuesday 05/01.

Of the three attached pics, the one is what the weather SHOULD have been in NY last Tuesday.

Last edited by cmangle; 07-05-18 at 10:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

irritant (07-05-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Snow? What's that? Never seen the stuff!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18),DB44 (07-05-18),irritant (07-05-18),Landytrack (08-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Then don't read it fandtm666, I don't recall twisting your arm!

This was about Cinco de Mayo, and NONE of the above comments are the same . . . !
    You were asking about snow in Australia in November weren't you???
    That is what i thought you were asking anyway
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (07-05-18),Thala Dan (07-05-18)

Banned

Thanks

Yes, that is almost summer for Oz isn't it?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just chaotic extremes of climate volatility at work. We've had snow settle here at sea level in mid summer but the last time that happened was about 50 years ago. In the highlands, unprepared walkers can become victims of hypothermia any day of the year.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 07-05-18 at 12:10 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18),irritant (07-05-18),Landytrack (08-05-18),Thala Dan (08-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Just chaotic extremes of climate volatility at work. We've had snow settle here at sea level in mid summer but the last time that happened was about 50 years ago. In the highlands, unprepared walkers can become victims of hypothermia any day of the year.
    Actually, speaking of so-called climate change or chaotic extremes
    We had snow land on our beach once, but it was when i was around 14 years old... So thats 35 years ago and it hasn't happened since!

In our world of more extremes, i am surprised it hasn't happened again?
    Is that a warming effect over the passed 35 years?

Or just a freak weather event at the time?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-05-18 at 12:30 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18),irritant (07-05-18),Landytrack (08-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I read the reason the US gets so much snow and is Colder than similar areas is due to there being a Land Mass between the North Pole and the US.
    London in the UK is on a similar lat or long (cant remember which) as New York but gets nowhere near the same conditions, also warm water from the Gulf Stream flows past the British Isles.
    If there is any altitude involved, obviously the higher you go the more chance there is of snow.
    Also the USA has that 'Jet Stream' that I believe swings down from the North Pole between Russia and Alaska before crossing the USA ROUGHLY where the Canadian/USA Border is.
    This 'Jet Stream' moves 'Up and Down' and is responsible for a number of weather patterns.
    OZ has no such winds so generally for it to snow here (excluding Tasmania) a suitable weather pattern needs to come from Antartica across Pt Phillip Bay to 'Hit' the southern end of the Great Dividing Range (Mt Buller/Hotham/Kosiosco) for it to be pushed up high (in altitude) for snow to form and fall there or on the New England Tablelands on the Queensland Border due to their altitude.
    Back in the late 50's early 60's, Snow was reported on Christmas Day in various areas of the Blue Mountains, Central and Western Tablelands.
    The day was lousy, wet, windy and damned cold and some places got a ground cover that soon turned to slush while others saw little pockets collect in hollows and wind sheltered areas.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18),irritant (07-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

irritant (07-05-18),mtv (07-05-18),Onefella (08-05-18),Uncle Fester (08-05-18)

Thanks

Well it actually makes sense if one thinks about it. If you have an area that's heating up more than normal, the air is rising more, and that means colder air would try to take it's place more rapidly and more aggressively. Maybe this is what's happening.

It happens in the northern hemisphere more strongly because there is more land. Land surfaces heat up well and cool down very effectively. In the southern hemisphere there is mostly ocean, and water does not respond like land does, it absorbs and redistributes heat, and moderates the temperature of the surface.

It's just my opinion, but to me it seems like our winter storms here (mid-latitude cyclones - cold fronts, etc.) pack less of a punch than they used to.

This cyclone's existence (and intensity) depends on the fact that it is the interface between warm air and cold air - the greater the difference in temperature between these two air masses the better for the storm. A wedge of cold air moves horizontally, pushing up the warm air in front of it.

If you are heating up the whole system in an overall manner, and distributing the heat like the ocean does, I reckon that wedge of cold air is not as cold as it's supposed to be, and your "wedge" is no longer doing the proper job it's supposed to - giving you a weaker cyclone.

Looking at synoptic charts for the last few years, I have noticed the size of the cyclones seem to have decreased, the westerly winds associated have decreased in intensity, and the central area of low pressure has increased from the usual ~990mb to ~1005mb. This is no longer what I would call a "decent" low pressure where you get proper uplift and convection, the type that causes good rain.

I think here, our cold air has lost it's aggressiveness it's supposed to have when "hunting" areas of warm air/areas of convective uplift. And it can only be because it itself has warmed somewhat, and it itself now wants to lift somewhat along with moving forward/horizontally.

It would make sense, considering the ice you see melting in Antarctica. I think there is heat going where it doesn't belong.

What's also interesting is that it seems like the world's collective warm air is moving southwards, towards Antarctica, and the world's collective cold air is moving southwards too, away from the Arctic.

This is crazy considering that climate is supposed to be confined to either hemisphere.
    Last edited by irritant; 07-05-18 at 05:38 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

cmangle (07-05-18),fandtm666 (07-05-18),Onefella (08-05-18),Thala Dan (08-05-18)

Thanks

...a low pressure weather pattern comes up the east coast from the south...
    Sorry if this is a silly question as I am not familiar with US weather - so is this low a mid-latitude cyclone (or remnant of one) that is moving up the coast, or is it some kind of coastal low preceding the cyclone?

Concerning the snow - does it come from a cold-front/cyclone system out of the west (Vancouver ---> Chicago ---> East Coast) or is it some kind of new storm front that forms in this particular area specifically?

And the cold Canadian air - is coming from Montreal direction southwards?
    Last edited by irritant; 07-05-18 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Winter is gone: 2 days after snow, May heats up to 80 degrees across Upstate NY

April did a pretty good job convincing us winter was here to stay. Just last weekend, light snow fell on parts of Central New York, but May is getting off to a summer-like start as temperatures will climb to 80 degrees across Upstate NY on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Shortest ski season in history

Here in NE Vic,we're heading for snow down to 800 metres later this week.......OMG, it's still only Autumn (Fall), and a full month before the official start of the snow season....must be more of that gloBull stuff

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

irritant (07-05-18),mtv (07-05-18)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast