Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Me Me Me Me Me

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    If (when) the next war breaks out, the only thing they will need to know is how to push a button

Unfortunately it wont wipe out all humanity, probably just the body weary 40+ leaving the "me me me me" brigade to try and rebuild the planet.

It should be hilarious.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    My mates son was just like this, he ended up going into the Army
    That was 5 years ago... He now has GF and 2 young kids... and guess what, is about to land back on my friends door step
    I have my son living back at home. As much as people are probably thinking the topic is about him, it isn't.

He also became a gaming (xbox) addict, my restricting his use just made things worse. The worse thing I ever did was buy him a Playstation as a kid. He became extremely violent from 15-18, not a good time for me battling with a ####ed back and on 200 mg's of Oxycontin a day and having to sleep upright in a chair. Having said that, I wasn't going to put up with it and was at times forced to engage in physical fights with him.

I was forced to ring 000 4 times in that period, once when he pulled a knife on me. The last time I had to call triple 0 was on his 18th birthday.......and no, he wasn't drunk, hadn't been drinking and didn't take drugs. The cops asked his age and I said 18 today......they said beauty, dont have to treat him like a kid anymore. They chased him around the streets till they caught him and threw him in a divvy van. Due to his threats, they insisted that we take out a 12 month AVO against him. He spent a couple of years couch surfing with nothing permanent. He did rent his own place for a year though.

And here we are 3 years later. He is back at home simply because he is a low wage earner, he gets up and goes to work 5 days a week. He doesn't argue with us, he doesn't fight with us , I wouldn't have him here otherwise. The change between then and now is remarkable. I told him that if he intends to stay in shit kicker jobs, he needs to find a girlfriend that has a job, a car, no tattoo's, doesnt #### your friends, has career prospects, and rich parents. I also gave him a list of nationalities that I require in a daughter in law, and warned him that if he delivers me any grandchildren that #### up my genetic line I will kill him

How much he doesn't know amuses me. He works outdoors all day and gets sunburnt. I have told him he will end up with cancer. They had something about it on the news last night and I said "Are you listening to this ? " His reply , "What ? "

I said frigging Melanoma ! Cancer, what do you think Melanoma is, one of your bosses customers names ?

My missus chips in with "You need a Mole Map".

Him : "A What ? "

Me : "Put it this way, surprisingly its not a list of your last few girlfriends."

The joys of getting old, baffle them with knowledge

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

cobra679 (13-05-18),Godzilla (13-05-18),irritant (11-05-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Unfortunately it wont wipe out all humanity, probably just the body weary 40+ leaving the "me me me me" brigade to try and rebuild the planet.

It should be hilarious.
    They would just die of starvation staring at the blank face of their iphones....

The joys of getting old, baffle them with knowledge
    Sadly, it doesn't take much does it?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Sadly, it doesn't take much doeas it?
    Nup But at least he is back on the right path.

I fell sorry for those (such as have been mentioned) that have kids that they just cant seem to get on the right path.

I have mate who has one son who has so far wasted most of his life doing nothing, but now at 30 has actually got a job so I suppose you cant give up.

I was looking through some old papers the other day and came across an old newspaper clipping of my grandparents in the local paper in the early 90's interviewed when they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
    My grandfather said in it, "you just had to work hard and get one thing at time".

These days, they want it all and want it now. In debt and get a decent tax return ? Buy a new 65 inch Tv rather than pay the debt. That about sums most of them up. Consumerism and keeping up with (and bettering ) the Jones's so to speak.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (11-05-18),irritant (11-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

admin:These days, they want it all and want it now. In debt and get a decent tax return ? Buy a new 65 inch Tv rather than pay the debt. That about sums most of them up. Consumerism and keeping up with (and bettering ) the Jones's so to speak.
    This is a prime example where the older generation went wrong by changing what was ok in my Parents day (Admins's G'Parents) in relation to accessing Credit.
    I fell for the lure of 'Getting it NOW' along with numerous other things and ended up eventually having my Wages garnisheed because I couldnt pay off my Bank Card.
    I have never had another Credit Card since, just a Debit Card with a Visa attachment but no 'Line of Credit'.
    One day at work a much younger workmate was getting married and we got talking about setting up a House and it hit me when I realised he was going to start out with what I had now but had taken me 10 to 15 years or more to obtain.
    Fridge, Freezer, washing Machine, TV, furniture, carpets, curtains and on top of that, buying a HOUSE...........
    Up until I was about 18, My Mother and I could pack all our 'smalls' in a couple of Tea chests, a bed each, table and chairs and move.
    To be fair, there wasnt half of what I have now available to buy back then anyway.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-05-18 at 03:17 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

admin (13-05-18)

Thanks

If you were dead on the road they would probably drive over you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

The younger generation may be portrayed at times as one of “me, me, me”, however on the flip side the older generation is often portrayed as one of “whinge, whinge, whinge”.

It’s a generalisation only, nothing more, and certainly doesn’t accurately reflect all of the younger, or for that matter older, generations.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (13-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Nup But at least he is back on the right path.

I fell sorry for those (such as have been mentioned) that have kids that they just cant seem to get on the right path.

I have mate who has one son who has so far wasted most of his life doing nothing, but now at 30 has actually got a job so I suppose you cant give up.

I was looking through some old papers the other day and came across an old newspaper clipping of my grandparents in the local paper in the early 90's interviewed when they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
    My grandfather said in it, "you just had to work hard and get one thing at time".

These days, they want it all and want it now. In debt and get a decent tax return ? Buy a new 65 inch Tv rather than pay the debt. That about sums most of them up. Consumerism and keeping up with (and bettering ) the Jones's so to speak.
    And where did that consumerism come from?

Were they born with it……..or was it ingrained into them every minute of every day of their lives?

Perhaps they are simply a reflection of the society in which we now live.

I agree that earlier generations, in general, had a different attitude to money and the acquisition of “stuff”.

But then they didn’t have the extensive range of cheap consumer goods available to them, nor were they subject to all-pervasive, carefully targeted advertising, nor did they have access to easy credit.

Credit cards were practically non-existent until the mid-70s………now, people have special wallets with concertina card holders full of the damn things.

The Commonwealth Bank used to come around to schools and collect pocket money into savings accounts……kids were taught the value of saving in those days, and the concept (and even joy) of saving up and being able to buy something highly desirable.

Such education these days would be considered borderline-communism.

One has to wonder whether the generations in question have shaped the values of the society around them………..or has the society shaped them?

As regards their attitude to work…..where have all the traineeships and apprenticeships gone?

Where are the TAFE colleges that provided next –to-free trade training?

Where are the Technical Schools that engendered interest, and provided basic training, in all manner of technical subjects?

Where are the Public Service jobs that provided initial access to the workforce for so many young people in earlier times?

Tens of thousands of young people cut their teeth in the Public Service and then moved out and on to become the captains of business and industry.

Anyone remember the Commonwealth Employment Service.......the federal body that found work for millions of Australians from 1946 until the Howard government in 1996?

Whatever happened to them?

Oh, that's right......we disbanded them, and handed the employment prospects of our young over to a disparate group of conmen and shysters chasing a quick buck, in the name of efficiency and competition.

How many jobs that could be done by our younger generations have been handed over to 457 visa holders or international students who will work for board and keep?

Is burger-flipping, Uber-driving, or call-centre operation as satisfying as the careers that used to be provided by the likes of Australia Post, Telecom Australia (Telstra), DCA, OTC, and our now-extinct but once-thriving manufacturing industries?

What effect has the current parlous state of the housing market, the influx of 190,000 migrants per annum, and the privatisation of everything from education to job-seeking to health care had on the outlook and prospects of our newer generations of Australians?

I think that these, and many more such questions need to be addressed before we condemn entire qenerations.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 14-05-18 at 07:50 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

I think a lot of today's youngsters are fatalistic regarding their future................short term work, when you can get it, never owning a home, struggling to survive when you know their is always someone ready to take your part time job @ half the pay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Out of frustration talking to my son I said in the Budget 2018 there is section that says if you are unemployed for 5 years or more or NEVER had a Job you must join the Army. The Problem with my Son is he cannot do anything I mean Anything. He is a good kid not a trouble maker or car thief like others and he is not on Drugs but he cannot do anything even roll up a garden hose or even put the whelle bin outside and if you dont tell him he put its the other way so the trucks cant latch on the bin.

It look like I have to buy everything for the baby. YES ME!!!!!!!!!
    Is your son mentally handicapped?

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    The younger generation may be portrayed at times as one of “me, me, me”, however on the flip side the older generation is often portrayed as one of “whinge, whinge, whinge”.

It’s a generalisation only, nothing more, and certainly doesn’t accurately reflect all of the younger, or for that matter older, generations.
    The reason why us older Whinge is because we see the young doing stupid things like wasting money and save for a deposit for their house.

The 2012 worst thing I ever saw whilst in Melbourne was a young girl was hit by a car. I took my jacket off to give her so cover as it was COLD whilst she lied on the road and around me was 50 people mainly young people and all I could see in the corner of my eye was 20 or 30 phone aiming at me.
    After 15 minutes still no Ambulance so I ran into the shop and Asked to use the Phone as I don't have a Mobile Phone and I rang for a Ambulance as the staff their we too busy.
    When I came Home to QLD I rang the Police in Melbourne and asked Hows the Girl and they said she was Fine and she was in Hospital for two days and they told me "Thanks for ringing" I said I rang 15 minutes after she was hit but the Car, I dont have a Mobile Phone and the Police said Yes I notice this in our Report as we were trying to contact you. I said what about the 50 odd people around me that had there phone constantly aiming at me? The Police said you were the first one to ring followed by another 40 seconds later.

"THERE IS THE YOUNG PEOPLE TODAY, DAMM THE LOT OF THEM"

Thanks

When my partner and I bought a house together, we had two (and even three) of everything. Two toasters, three irons, two sets of crockery / cutlery, two large TVs etc etc. All were good quality and some not that old. Also had quite a bit of surplus furniture. At around that time, one of her young relatives had bought his first house and was setting up home. Did he want any of our extra stuff?

No: he wanted to buy everything new.

Geez. When I bought my first house, I was pouring all my cash in to paying off the mortgage (at 10.25% interest) ASAP. No way did I want to still be paying it off in 20 years time. All my furniture was borrowed or bought second hand. It was three years after I bought the house that I bought my first item of new furniture and that was a big event.

Having said that, not all the young 'uns are like that. There are some young people who are really down to Earth and careful with spending, so there's hope for humanity.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobra679 View Post
    Is your son mentally handicapped?
    Yesterday I service my sons Girlfriend Car (4 cylinder Yaris) Yes I change the oil + Filter and changed the Spark Plugs plus the air Filter plus check the disc and rear drums for brake material as she has never had the car services in 6 months and had my son to do a lot of things whilst I supervised and for the first time I saw how hopeless he is. I felt pity for him as he did not have a clue on even jacking the car up with professional car jack when I show him twice where to put the jack under the car. I told him to Loosen the 4 nuts on the wheel, Only LOOSEN and then jack the car up and then you can proceed to remove the wheel so I can inspect the Brake material.
    Before this he could not understand the process of doing this in order so he started by removing all the wheel nuts when the car was still on the ground. After this he could have killed me 2 time by doing stupid things.
    Last night the lot of use sat down (6 of us) and my wife told me for the First time EVER than when he was born he had the AN bitical cord (cant spell it) rapped around his neck . I DID not know this as I was no in the state when he was Born. The Doctors said we will keep monitoring him in the next few years. RUBBISH!!!!
    Only think morning at 9 am I asked my Wife to ring Centerlink ( I can speak probably because of the stroke) as we want a Urgent meeting with a councilors as my son has major issues as I did not know how bad he is and needs help and he will NEVER EVER GET A JOB!.
    See the problem was my son was living in NSW with a girl that was disowned by her mother (Drunk and Drugoo) and she meet him over playstation games and he moved to NSW long time ago and made the Girl pregnant and since we saw alarm bell going off (NO MONEY) we told him and his 6 month pregnant girlfriend to move with us.
    All my life My Son NEVER has spend a second to learn ANYTHING OFF MEEEE NOT A SECOND as My wife said He does not want to do NOTHING with Electricity in it, Nothing to do with Satellites, NOTHING to do with how to build a house, Nothing to do with cars and what makes a car work, NOTHING to do with Any thing EXCEPT FOR PLATSTATION SHIT!!. I even had at least 5 divorces about (FIGHT WITH MY WIFE) about my son and the reason why he is so slow and she said LET HIM PLAY WITH THE PLAYSTATION ON LINE. I block his mac address so he cannot play more than 3 hours a day. Now this Happened when he was 13 to 17 years old and after he finished schooling he meet this girl and went interstate because she was a GAME player. Now that he is 21 Year Old you can clearly see that he is Extremely backward and needs help and when he goes for a interview for a job the interviewer will run rings around him.

fu@#$% Hell we have a Problem but at least he is not Violent, well at least now.

(Took me 35 min to type this Bad day for the Stroke and typing)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    paying off the mortgage (at 10.25% interest) ASAP.
    We were paying 17.5 %

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

cobra679 (20-05-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

The young of today are only a product of the lazy society that WE created after our forebears gave us a paradise in comparison to most of the rest of the world. We are responsible for the "heads down" generation as they are becoming known.

I think they would struggle in the event of a national crisis. Why?

Because the leadership of this nation is a f*cking joke, that's why. They can't agree on anything. The Coalition and the ALP are bereft of ANY co-operative spirit and would just argue. The Greens would demand an inquiry, and the independents that we have now would not have the intelligence to know what a national crisis really WAS anyway.

It's not good IMO, but it is what it is.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

I have to admit that today's generation are nothing but Lazy. All my sons does it look at his stupid phone and when It come to work around the House I have to ORDER him to do it ever time every week time after time again. Regarding if he is slow and not be able to catch onto doing things but when it come to doing work it frustrating to get him to do anything. I complaint to him, Why do I have to tell you to do this and that 1000 time, When he come to playing (back 6 years ago) Playstation he goes on no problem NOT EVEN A MINUTE LATE.
    After I had my Stroke he came home from NSW and in one minute I had the Clean out the cat shit out of the Bathroom and I got immediately angry.
    Today after he comes to our house with his pregnant girlfriend 6 weeks ago I have FORBIDDING him to play any game and only 2 day ago I caught him playing games on his Phone. F$CK SONY F$CK Microsoft and FU>K the Lesbian Women that has given women to much power today to a point that I cannot control my son at all because my wife used too threaten me with Divorce all because of the Playstation.
    Now as my Son is ruined I make sure at least once a day I throw this in my wife face as she is totally 101% responsible for turning my son like he is today even with his disability. In my Fathers day My mother would not have said BOOO to my Father and the way he brought me up but today you have Women that tell you what to do even if they are doing the Wrong thing by letting you son playing playstation for 18 hours a day and she my wife was protect with the SLUTS that she knows as they are either Divorced and men haters
    Only Last XMAS at Morayfield Shopping Center out side of a Game Zone or some shop I was sitting down on a chair and a Family was out the front with a Child over 12 years old and he was pleading for a Playstation 4. Yes The Mummy and Daddy were there + their Grand Parents and after the Child said I wont play it for too long, please get it for me. I GOT UP and told them all what the Playstation has done to my Son and after I saw me frothing out of my mouth they the Grand Pa said something I told you so to the patents to the child.
    That Child gave me evil looks when he walked away.
    I hope one day that a Lawsuit eventuates on this matter because I will be threre.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

cobra679 (20-05-18)

Thanks

It is some thing that i have seen many times but not just the youth of today
    but also the middle aged generation. Most of them WANT-NEED-EXPECT
    everything from every one and feel they are entitled to get it.

i have seen many of my daughters friends grow up and carry on like the
    poster child of the ME ME ME but i have also seen a few get on and do
    things with their life.

I think i am lucky with my kid she is 23yrs old in her 4th yr at uni doing a double
    degree in physiology she works 2 jobs and averages 40-50hrs pw working 7 days.
    Her partner is just like her he does 40-50hrs pw and between them they have just bought
    a block and are about to start building the thing is they had over $120K in the bank
    between them as the deposit.

I personally feel that we as parents and our generation is slightly to blame
    in the way the me me me have come about.We all wanted more for our kids
    than we had and alot of the time both partners worked and could not spend time with
    them so we spoiled them.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 15-05-18 at 03:21 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (15-05-18)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12