Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me Me Me Me Me

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Me Me Me Me Me

Has anyone noticed just how much the under 30's of today associate themselves with the thread title ?

Don't care about anyone but themselves. Are generally useless....ask one to change a tyre or any other relatively simple ask. Always think they are hard done........if they dont get their own way.

Imagine if a war broke out ! Jesus......

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

cobra679 (13-05-18),David071 (10-05-18),enf (10-05-18),irritant (10-05-18),OSIRUS (10-05-18),Rick (11-05-18),SS Dave (10-05-18),Thala Dan (10-05-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I guess your going to have to blame my generation for this attitude, (your too Young to blame) because we (My Generation) tried to do what we could to 'improve' things so that this generation didnt have to.
    You reminded me of the time when I went and bought 4 new tyres and changed them at home using just a couple of Tyre levers, you cant do that today because of the double Safety rims used.
    Back then a deflated tyre could spin off the rim and people did die, today its never heard of.
    Like when I changed the worm and peg steering box on an A40 from a wreck because I didnt have the money to pay another and it was fairly simple job.
    There are possibly a 100 other things I gave no thought to doing even if I didnt know how, some worked brilliantly, many were dismal failures but I never had to walk home or blew myself up.
    No Carpenter or builder but I changed part of the roof line and replaced the old corrugated iron, THAT was an experience to say the least.
    No Plumber but put in a Donkey Hot water system, worked well for the next 25 years.
    Demolished 3 brick chimneys, still got gaps in the walls but its ok.
    Youngest Son was making a Dog's Dinner of a job he was doing but DAD cant say 'How to' so took his Mate aside and told him what to do and he made suggestion to Son and job was done...........He knew the idea came from me because his Mate is not the brightest candle on the cake either.

Never fear Admin, the Older you get the more incompetent the Younger Generation will become and how 'Warm and Fuzzy' it makes you feel to know its THEM who will be caring for us in our 'Golden Years'!!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

admin (11-05-18),gulliver (12-05-18),irritant (11-05-18),Thala Dan (10-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yup... Noticed it terribly the last 5 years!

I wonder if the advent of Facebook, Instagram, etc has had something to do with it?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 10-05-18 at 06:00 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18),Thala Dan (10-05-18)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I’ve always called them the “me now” generation.....translated to “I want it NOW” gen.

I fear what will become of humanity in only around 20 years when they have to start to stand up and take charge!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18),Thala Dan (10-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Has anyone noticed just how much the under 30's of today associate themselves with the thread title ?

Don't care about anyone but themselves. Are generally useless....ask one to change a tyre or any other relatively simple ask. Always think they are hard done........if they dont get their own way.

Admin, i did not realise that you knew my two sons!!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

admin (11-05-18),enf (10-05-18),irritant (11-05-18),porkop (10-05-18),Thala Dan (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

I know, I feel your pain and your frustration guys.

If I may, just from a younger person's perspective, what you're seeing is an incarnation of ultra-competitiveness. It has become the nature of the world.

There is no more time for compassion, empathy, understanding. If you don't get stuff done and get them done NOW, you're done. You're gone. It's all over in one quick move.

There are now one million lions competing for the same piece of meat that was in the sights of one before.

And EVERYTHING is controlled by money. AND it's a resource the world is fast running out of. The only way you get anything nowadays is by buying it. Even love.

Genuinely, you miss one text, one phone call, one email - it will probably spell the end of whatever it was you are pursuing.

The only way to get there is to get in there before everyone else.

The whole world has been forced to be equal now.

You are right on the money when you speak of Facebook, etc. The whole world is connected and more people are finding out more things, by the minute. There are no more exclusionary practices or hurdles anymore. You can't stop a guy from wherever competing with you for the same stuff in your very own country.

It has produced a horrid attitude in the younger folk, but unfortunately, it's necessary. It's not a matter of choice, you are dragged along by the current, kicking and screaming. Stop swimming and you drown. It's that simple.

And nobody's going to stop to help you out. They can't. There are a million others drowning too. No point trying to save anyone - no time. You help someone else out, you're stuffed too.

I know, it's very sad guys.

The only way to the top is to lie, pretend, bend the rules as much as possible, break them if nobody's looking, and once you're on top hope and pray with all you're worth you didn't lose the original self along the way, and hope nobody captured you, so they can start a smear campaign on social media 20 years later.

You can't just be normal anymore. You'll literally end up on the street.

You have to convince someone you're worth more than you are. You have to be a cunning snake to survive. Speak with a forked tongue, out of both sides of your mouth. A public image and a real self. Just honestly proving your worth is no longer enough, because there are another million others just like you.

No matter where you're from, everyone can do X, Y and Z now. So, you have to do what you have to do to stand out, to get chosen.

People say why don't young people start more businesses, make more opportunities. We'd love to. I know how much I'd love to. But, where's the capital? Failure rates are through the roof because literally everyone is trying it, so banks and others turn around and say, no, we're not throwing another $1,000,000 down the toilet.

It's literally a numbers problem.

I'm almost sitting with a PhD behind my name, and I'm struggling my arse off just to get a potential post-doctoral somewhere. They just keep telling me - no funds. Now I've got to suddenly try something else, and it is looking more and more like a PhD was a waste of time.

I loved it, and it was my dream career, but nobody cares. What I have to do now, is readjust and find something they do care about. Luckily, for me, I do have something. Other people I know weren't so lucky.
    Last edited by irritant; 10-05-18 at 11:14 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (15-05-18),Rick (11-05-18),Thala Dan (10-05-18),Uncle Fester (11-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    I know, I feel your pain and your frustration guys.

If I may, just from a younger person's perspective, what you're seeing is an incarnation of ultra-competitiveness. It has become the nature of the world.

There is no more time for compassion, empathy, understanding. If you don't get stuff done and get them done NOW, you're done. You're gone. It's all over in one quick move.

There are now one million lions competing for the same piece of meat that was in the sights of one before.

And EVERYTHING is controlled by money. AND it's a resource the world is fast running out of. The only way you get anything nowadays is by buying it. Even love.

Genuinely, you miss one text, one phone call, one email - it will probably spell the end of whatever it was you are pursuing.

The only way to get there is to get in there before everyone else.

The whole world is equal now.

You are right on the money when you speak of Facebook, etc. The whole world is connected and more people are finding out more things, by the minute. There are no more exclusionary practices anymore. You can't stop a guy from wherever competing with you for the same stuff in your very own country.

It has produced a horrid attitude in the younger folk, but unfortunately, it's necessary. It's not a matter of choice, you are dragged along by the current, kicking and screaming. Stop swimming and you drown. It's that simple.

And nobody's going to stop to help you out. They can't. There are a million others drowning too. No point trying to save anyone - no time. You help someone else out, you're stuffed too.

I know, it's very sad guys.
    Good post..........sums it up nicely.

Though i totally agree with Admins contention that, as a generalisation, the younger generations are as useful as tits on a bull when it comes to most everyday practical tasks.

But that is, to some extent, a by-product of the issues you have highlighted.

I disagree on one point:

And EVERYTHING is controlled by money. AND it's a resource the world is fast running out of.
    The world will never run out of money....money is an artificial construct, and can be printed, or digitally created, ad infinitum.

Our entire fractional reserve banking system is based on the never-ending creation of money out of thin air.

The real-world resources that lie behind that money, however, are most definitely finite and rapidly dwindling.

The issues you have highlighted are not happening by accident.............from a corporate point of view it is much more profitable to reduce a society down to its individual constituent units....this increases competition between individual units of that society, which in turn increases the corporates power (divide and conquer), and also results in greater unit sales of goods and services,as the concept of societal sharing is abandoned.

The only form of sharing allowed to prosper is the Uber (or gig) model....again much to the corporates advantage.

Good luck in your brave new world......the view is much better from the sidelines (unfortunately).

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

irritant (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

If (when) the next war breaks out, the only thing they will need to know is how to push a button

Thanks

And then there's why young people seem cautious or too scared to take chances or just simply do things. That's because fear of failure is higher now than ever before.

There are no more second chances at something. You fail, you're done - there are another 10 people who are waiting in line for your spot, and each one can easily take over from you.

There is now very little classified or special information, everyone knows everything. Gone is your competitive edge. It's not like before where if you knew something, you can use it to your advantage. Others know it too.

So, the answer is becoming an individual. But so is everyone else, because they have found this out too. Now everyone is an individual, and automatically the same.

Unfair advantages - already been gobbled up by some person from the other side of the world from a country you didn't even know existed.

The only people who can now just be themselves and live a calm, normal life are some kids who inherited millions from a dead relative.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    The world will never run out of money....money is an artificial construct, and can be printed, or digitally created, ad infinitum.

Our entire fractional reserve banking system is based on the never-ending creation of money out of thin air.

The real-world resources that lie behind that money, however, are most definitely finite and rapidly dwindling.
    Yes, for sure. It's there, but not necessarily available is probably how I should have said it.

People who have it, are holding onto it, and people who need it, are having a harder time getting it.

I like checking out the Forbes' 500 list every now and then, and conspicuous by their absence, are young billionaires. All the regulars are still there - Bezos, Gates, Buffet, etc. with the exception of guys like Zuckerberg, and a few of the Walton children (from Walmart fortunes). Opened a 1991 issue just out of curiosity, and there sit the much younger (20's and 30's age) Gates, Jobs, Dell etc. all near the top of the list.

It just seems like it's just not happening anymore.

All the creativity is gone.

You can't be creative anymore. Who pays the bills while you're in dreamland? Lose your job, and some other guy is there tomorrow.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,078 Times in 3,349 Posts

The problem, as I see it, Dr_Mohs, is not so much lack of opportunity, or lack of success. You can make your own success. My own children have all done alright for themselves in their respective careers. All having been head hunted from other jobs to their current positions. My eldest got bored 3/4s of the way through a double degree he was doing and decided to take a year off. His employer immediately promoted him because he was now "permanent", he never did finish his degree, but he is now working in that same University as part of the faculty staff. My youngest has hardly any high schooling, but is in demand with the car dealerships that he chooses to work with. The last one employed him when they didn't have an opening and at more money than they'd ever paid anyone in that position, all based on a phone call to a previous employer. Your attitude will determine your altitude. The only time I have ever been "unemployed" in my life is when I have resigned from a job and not told my new employer I was ready to start. Most of the time, I'd get home and there'd be someone waiting there for me to come out and work for them. Elon Musk is hardly old and he seems to be doing alright for himself. Prior to Computers, many of the world's rich made their money in other arenas. It's just a matter of finding the right niche product and a market for it.
    Last edited by lsemmens; 11-05-18 at 01:47 AM.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 578 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    And then there's why young people seem cautious or too scared to take chances or just simply do things. That's because fear of failure is higher now than ever before. ~
    You can blame the "do-gooders" somewhat for this, as kids we used to ride our bikes and skateboards without helmets or full body armor , if you fell off and got hurt you had extra incentive to get it right next time. We learned by trying to do stuff ourselves and we often failed, only to try again, that's how you learn.

These days everyone expects someone to hold their hand and tell them what to do, or just give them whatever they need/want without them having to do anything to earn it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (11-05-18),irritant (11-05-18)

Thanks

Exactly Bigfella, and that fall down and get up attitude is the proper attitude one needs, now today more than ever.

I think we need more failure, it's how you learn. I know I've learnt some of the most valuable things from screwing up big time.

We live in a world now where more and more people are trying to implement zero tolerance for failure, a world where people are trying to eliminate failure. And I truly feel it's all this public shaming on social media nowadays that's the big thing. Trial by Facebook and Twitter.

You have to have failure. People are too obsessed with perfection - and everything's gone stale. And today more than ever, the world can't afford all this trying to maintain a state of perfection. Everything can't be wrapped up like crystal all the time.

lsemmens, I know exactly what you mean. I know I've experienced some setbacks, but coming back stronger and having an even stronger plan B is the only way to go.

I'm now kind of glad about having my failures because the original plans, looking at them now, would actually have turned out kind of crap, and I would have been so bored with my life.

OK, I'll elaborate a bit. If my life went to "plan", right now I would have been married, probably sitting with children, working in a field I loved back then but now absolutely hate, and would have been completely miserable. That same woman rejected me for someone "better", I failed to get noticed in that particular field, so decided to change to something else, and now I am not looking back one bit. I'm still in a transitioning phase, but instead of working for a boss, I am now inventing things and planning to patent several of these inventions. I have been approached by interested people and what it looks like now, is that I'll actually end up working for myself.

Totally happy with how things turned out, and I have my failures (i.e. blessings in disguise) to thank.

I am truly one of the lucky ones. I have escaped seemingly this thing that plagues young people by about two years.

But, it wasn't easy. I had to make some very tough decisions, turn down a lot of "good" (on the surface) offers and piss off a lot of people to get into a position where I am now. If I thought like a typical millenial, the net would've caught me too.

And, it helps having a bit of a delusional ego I guess.

Yes, I know, I'm stark raving mad.

But sometimes you just have to be. And you can't keep everyone happy all the time. People who succeed are the people who make decisions that usually piss people off very much.

But if you keep believing, they come around eventually and see it wasn't such a bad decision.

You have to have the genuine (even deluded) belief that you genuinely can do something and you are the best. Even if you suck at it. A person who simply just tries initially always finds some way to win.

And when I say genuine, I mean genuine, not just saying it like I hear people say today on TV, etc. When you believe it you don't say it, it appears in your actions and your achievements automatically.
    Last edited by irritant; 11-05-18 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    I fear what will become of humanity in only around 20 years when they have to start to stand up and take charge!!!!!
    I know, me too, and they are going to be my peers so I can't even tell them off like you guys can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    If (when) the next war breaks out, the only thing they will need to know is how to push a button

As long as my knob is the biggest, I'm not too concerned, LOL

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Admin, i did not realise that you knew my two sons!!
    My son is going to 22 Years old and has never had a JOB and when I have a go at him his mother stick up for him. THERE THE PROBLEM. He is TOTALLY USELESS cannot even change a light bulb but he is good enough to make his girlfriend PREGNANT!! and lob on our door for help. The baby is due in the next 6 weeks and they do not have a nappy or anything for the Baby. I say it again they have NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 11-05-18 at 09:46 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18),SS Dave (12-05-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Many year Ago I asked members on this site and others site how to block my Son playing Playstations by blocking the MAC address on my modem. This alone created a issue with my wife (nearly divorced 5 times because of this) as she said "let him play his playstation" I said he is playing on the internet TOO MUCH and has no interest of doing anything. Now that was from 13 to 17 years old. I'm not the only one that has this issue as this is the talking point with our local bus drivers and they say that their sons are USELESS and have kick them out of the house.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Many year Ago I asked members on this site and others site how to block my Son playing Playstations by blocking the MAC address on my modem. This alone created a issue with my wife (nearly divorced 5 times because of this) as she said "let him play his playstation" I said he is playing on the internet TOO MUCH and has no interest of doing anything. Now that was from 13 to 17 years old. I'm not the only one that has this issue as this is the talking point with our local bus drivers and they say that their sons are USELESS and have kick them out of the house.
    My mates son was just like this, he ended up going into the Army
    That was 5 years ago... He now has GF and 2 young kids... and guess what, is about to land back on my friends door step
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    My mates son was just like this, he ended up going into the Army
    That was 5 years ago... He now has GF and 2 young kids... and guess what, is about to land back on my friends door step
    Out of frustration talking to my son I said in the Budget 2018 there is section that says if you are unemployed for 5 years or more or NEVER had a Job you must join the Army. The Problem with my Son is he cannot do anything I mean Anything. He is a good kid not a trouble maker or car thief like others and he is not on Drugs but he cannot do anything even roll up a garden hose or even put the whelle bin outside and if you dont tell him he put its the other way so the trucks cant latch on the bin.

It look like I have to buy everything for the baby. YES ME!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 11-05-18 at 10:15 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 578 Posts

Not aimed at your son in particular, but I've been saying for years that humans are the only species on Earth who have managed to get Darwin's theory of evolution ass-backwards!

Our smartest, most driven and most successful, in other words those who should be furthering the evolution of the species, are more and more going without having children, while our dear old government is paying the deadbeats in society to breed en masse.

I got talking to a bloke years ago and he was saying how he was on single parent's pension, collecting two lots of child benefits, living free in a housing commission house, getting free rego on his car, pensioner rates on his phone and electricity, and the list went on and on... while I was working 60 hours a week at that stage and he was pulling in more than I was busting me guts for!

You start to wonder what is the point after a while?

Andrew
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 11-05-18 at 10:39 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

irritant (11-05-18)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast