Thread: Cheap mobile plan with data cap with not a 'safety net'

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Cheap mobile plan with data cap with not a 'safety net'

Evening trendsetters,

I have a daughter that can't control herself with her phone and data usage. I went Bendigo Bank Telco and a $14.50/mth plan that has unlimited calls and txt and 2Gb of data. When you hit 2Gb their 'safety net' is enabled and charges you $10 for another gig. The prob is it's happening 2-3 times per month. I can't work out why or how she uses so much while I use FB and messenger with a bit of internet browsing and lucky to hit a gig each month.

I see Woolies has a plan for $30 with 6Gb and when you hit your limit it stops. I like that!

What else is out there like that, that people recommend?

TIA..........Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have been eyeing this mob out but haven't tried them yet, they seem to have decent plans.

Thanks

Ive been with Aldi for the last year or so, runs on telstra network so good service.You now have the oportunity to teach your daughter one of the most important life skills, the ability to budget. I recomend the 1 yr super pack at $299 iv got 2 of them as we have no home phone or internet. 12 mths unlimited calls and text and a huge 80gig of data that you you can use whenever you need, no roll over or loss of unused data at the end of the month. Show her how the use the data warning that is built in to the phone and install the aldi app so she can see where she is at easily. Im shure if you sit down with her just once a month to check how she is going your daughter will learn how to control her usage.

Thanks

leroy i put the missus one a 12 month paid up front kogan plan
    they currently have one which could suit works out to $20pm with 16gig pm
    if you pay $254.30 upfront for the 12 months

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Telstra prepaid stops when you run out of the plan allowance.

I think it was Gordon who posted in another thread about Aldi just slowing down transfer rate (almost to a crawl... likely unusable on some sites) when the data allowance is exceeded, but doesn't charge for the additional use.

Leroy, your daughter is likely accessing music, video and pics, which chews through data very quickly.

I had the same issue with a teen some years ago... with several nasty 'excess data' bills and switched to Telstra prepaid which only gives you access to 000 calls when the plan allowance runs out.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

MTV, that posting was for these so called 'Unlimited Data Plans' for the Internet, not the Aldi Mobile Phone plan.
    My other posting re Aldi phone was to advise that they had now added as a permanent feature their previous 1GB Bonus to all their plans so now the basic plan at $15 a month now has apart from the unlimited Talk/Text, 1.5 GB of Data which can roll over whats left to the next month.
    There is also the option to buy Data at $10 a GB which seems to be what everyone else is charging.
    Another company I saw was called 'MOOSEMOBILE' at $9.95 a month, cant remember how much Data that included tho.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Evening trendsetters,

I have a daughter that can't control herself with her phone and data usage. I went Bendigo Bank Telco and a $14.50/mth plan that has unlimited calls and txt and 2Gb of data. When you hit 2Gb their 'safety net' is enabled and charges you $10 for another gig. The prob is it's happening 2-3 times per month. I can't work out why or how she uses so much while I use FB and messenger with a bit of internet browsing and lucky to hit a gig each month.

I see Woolies has a plan for $30 with 6Gb and when you hit your limit it stops. I like that!

What else is out there like that, that people recommend?

TIA..........Leroy
    What network do you need, Telstra, Optus or Vodafone ? It always best working that out first.

Premium Member

Thanks

If you dont travel much, then choose a Carrier whose plan best suits you but if your an "itinerant traveler, Telstra seems to have the largest coverage with Optus a close second.
    I am 'Assuming' its been altered since then but at one time 2 NSW Country Towns fairly close together with a lot of traffic between them had a different Carrier in each town and with no 'roaming' arrangement between them meant you needed 2 phones.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm looking at plans as opposed to prepaid because you get more data. Optus is fine and I know the woolies plan above uses Telstra. That Jeenee might be the go.
    MTV, I know she is using instagram a lot but reckons not much more which I say bs!!

Thanks

$40 for 30gb with optus atm. If you bring other family members they discount $10 off the plan they take up and also can share your data! hmmm more food for thought!

Edit: bit more info
    There is a $30 3gig plan which you get for $20 if you add additional members to your account and then you can share the total data about so there is 2 I would add so that for example would be a total of 36GB / month
    Also there is a special where months 2,3 and 4 are free on that $40 plan so that saves $120.

That Kogan pay upfront plan isn't bad either but there is 3 of us so that's a bit much to fork out in one hit!
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 15-05-18 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joezep View Post
    I have been eyeing this mob out but haven't tried them yet, they seem to have decent plans.

I decided to give these guys a go for the partner $14.90 for 2.5gig and my daughter $22.50 for 10gig. They use the Optus network and I've been using Optus for 7yrs with no real issues apart from if you're way out woop woop. Hence I've gone with Woolies who use Tesltra (when it's working!) on $30 plan with 6gig which is plenty of data for me.

I've been with Live Connected for 7yrs. I should have done something ages ago because they got taken over by Vaya and implemented a charge I thought was unfair and just left the customer base there to rot. They haven't encouraged or even automatically moved people to the new Vaya unlimited talk and txt plans.
    I tried to email them a few days ago and their customer service emails just bounce. I was going to enquire about moving the family to Vaya plans. Their support pages have had no response in years. It's like a shell, a ghost town!
    They sent an email last week saying the free social media data will now come off our included data allowances so that's it I said, it's time to move!

Hello Jeenee and hello Woolworths mobile

........Leroy

P.S. Thanks Joezep for the heads up.

P.P.S. You can disable the auto data top up on all these plans!
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 24-05-18 at 01:48 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

I know many hate the arse off Telstra in all shapes and forms but when its the only 'Game in Town', you dont have much choice which is why I went with Aldi Mobile.

Thanks

Ordered Woolies sim thurs and arrived yesterday. Started the activation/porting number process and not even 10 mins later I'm connected to Wollies and it says it on my phone instead of Telstra lol

I saw on the weekend that Jeenee has created my accounts. It said the billing will be on the 25th of the month but I've noticed that it's also started charging me from the 25th and counting down how many days remaining! So today it says 26 days. I think that's just wrong!

Leroy