Thread: Inner Range Insight, Transfer database from old version of Insight to new version?

Thanks

Question Inner Range Insight, Transfer database from old version of Insight to new version?

So I contacted CSD and they gave me an Insight licence key for my "new" laptop.
    But now I'm having issues transferring my database of my jobs from the old laptop (running Insight v3.x) to the new laptop (running Insight v5.x).

The problem is the old v3.x backs up the database to a .zip file but the new v5.x software is looking for a .ibu file to restore, I cant find anywhere to change what the old software saves as or what the new software restores from!

Anyone been down this road before and got where they want to go?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I'm not 100% sure on which one of these will work for you, however i do know that when restoring the Insight database, it is upgraded to the latest format. Underneath it all, the backup is essentially an SQL Server database backup.
    You could either try renaming the .zip file to a .ibu file (assuming they have just changed the extension to make it less likely for people to poke around in there), or they switched to no longer compressing the database backup.

In which case, open the zip file and see what it contains. For what it's worth, i know that Review and the "main" database are stored separately, so you may need to restore them separately.

Furthermore, i've heard that you need to upgrade these versions of Insight incrementally (i.e. 3 -> 4 -> 5), so you should probably call support to clarify.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who actually do

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, it reminded me to post my findings!

So basically I got in contact with tech support and tried everything. Renaming the .zip file, actually unzipping the file to see what's in there but nothing was of any help.

So the solution was:

Open Insight Edit on the old laptop.
    right click a saved panel in the left pane.
    Scroll to "Entire Panel" -> "Save as Template"
    Save this to a folder somewhere and name it something like "old insight backups"
    Repeat for each panel saved (time killer, I know)

When you have all of your templates saved, copy the folder containing them to somewhere on the new laptop.

Open Insight edit on the new laptop.
    Create a new site e.g. "Old backups".
    Right click the new site in the left pane and select "New Panel from Template".
    Click the "..." button and browse for your newly copied backup folder, select the first template and click ok.
    Repeat for each template (another time killer).

I got some errors about some things not copying properly but I couldn't find what it was and it didn't seem to effect anything.

Hopefully this helps someone else with the same problem although I've a feeling I was the only idiot still using Insight v3.x! 😂