Thread: Samsung Galaxy S9 Dual Sim

Banned
    Thanks

Default Samsung Galaxy S9 Dual Sim

My old Samsung S4 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I need to upgrade. I am happy with Android and Samsung so I think a basic Samsung Galaxy S9 (64gb) will suit my needs. I have noticed that the dual sim versions are a bit cheaper than the single sim version at around $900 if you shop around.

However I am getting mixed messages on the use of the second sim slot - some say you can put in a sd card up to 256gb and others so in theory yes but in reality no.

Now I do not need a second sim but I do want a sd card slot. The single sim with sd slot S9 is about $50 more expensive than the dual sim version so if the dual sim version can use use a sd card in the second sim slot that is great.

So will the dual sim version work Ok with an SD card in the second slot? And if so, any reason why the dual sim card version is cheaper than the single sim version? What am I missing?

Thanks

Garry

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Anyone know?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Double check but I wonder if the Dual SIM will still work now 2G has been turned off.
    I bought an Aldi Medion phone with the Dual SIM and it says the 2nd SIM was for a 2G service only.
    When I bought this phone 4G was only being introduced and as such this model cant use it.
    Correct me but I am under the impression that 3G is also slated to be 'Turned Off' by 2020, which will make this phone useless.

Unless I have been looking in the 'wrong Hole', the second SIM will NOT accept an SD card, they are totally different.
    Some phones have the SD card slot near the SIM while other are inserted externally.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-05-18 at 12:29 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments - I am getting mixed messages on this hence the question - I was hoping someone might have actual experience with the dual sim S9.

cheers

garry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Samsung specs state:

Single SIM model: one Nano SIM and one MicroSD slot (up to 400GB)

Dual SIM model (Hybrid SIM slot): one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM or one MicroSD slot (up to 400GB)

*May differ by country and carrier.

*Availability of Dual SIM may vary by country and carrier.

You need to be wary of the seller, to ensure you are getting an Australian model and not an OS model that may not work on some Australian bands.

Dick Smith/Kogan are notorious examples of cheaper pricing, but most are OS models.

Banned
    Thanks

Yes you are quite right - the advertised material clearly says it works but comments I have seen online seems to indicates it may not. However I have not come across anyone who has one and can advise.

Garry

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Yes you are quite right - the advertised material clearly says it works but comments I have seen online seems to indicates it may not. However I have not come across anyone who has one and can advise.
    Garry, my point is that just because you find someone who has a dual sim model, doesn't mean it's going to be the exact same model as another one you may buy (unless perhaps it's from the same seller).

There's usually several different variants of the same model, depending on the country/market it's been built/marketed for.

eg: DS/Kogan sold an S8 model that didn't have the 4GX 700MHz band used in Australia... they said it worked on 4G LTE, which it does... but not that particular band in common use in Australia, as the model they sold was released for Europe.

I purchased a genuine Australian-released model.... which cost more than the import.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

garrycol (16-05-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I am pretty sure Samsung dont sell dual sim "S's" in Australia.

Hence mtv's comments, you would be buying a grey import with no Aus warranty.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

If its of any help gary, i grabbed a second hand Samsung S7 last week, it was 32GB handset and came with a 64Gb Micro SD card, plus a wireless charging pad and leads + 2 covers, all for $300.
    The thing like new, not a mark on it.

Very happy with performance and pics it takes.

Like you, a new S9 would be great, but the price made me scoff.
    Just a thought anyway
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Banned
    Thanks

Hi all and thanks for all the comments - I am glad I posted up and asked for advice.

Well, as was said, it seems that all the dual sim phones are overseas versions - may work fine and may not work fine - will probably work well most of the time but may not have all the Aussie frequencies covered so may have issues in some areas at sometimes. The same seems top apply with the simple sim S9s sold by the discounters like Kogan - they confirmed that their phones are not Ausse sourced but come from an International Warehouse so may work OK all the time but may not.

I am not prepared to spend about $1200 for what to me is really just a phone with extra features so I am going to stay with my old S4 and leave www stuff to the laptop at home - the S4 still provides the basic functionality I need.

The Google Pixle 2 was suggested to me as an alternative but the Samsung S9 issues also apply - expensive and the cheapies are overseas sourced models.

Why dont phones these days have radios and headset sockets - how are you supposed to listen to music privately - I think phones have lost the plot - yes I know my S4 doesnot have a radio and I miss it.

Thanks

Garry

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Why dont phones these days have radios and headset sockets ...
    Radios... I guess because you can stream most radio stations. Yes, it uses data etc.

Headphone sockets... many still have ability to connect headphones. My Samsung S8 has a 3.5mm socket and some others can use an adaptor via the USB connector.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Have a look at the heuwei mate series of phones, which have a second slot for micro SD.

The mate pro series are dual Sim not SD card capable.

All will cover au frequencies.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks

Ok after procrastinating for a while I bought a Google Pixel 2 XL 128gb - only because to get a Aussie spec phone from Samsung etc was going to cost around $1000-$1100 and The Google Pixel was on special for the same price.

So the question is?

What the best App to copy across every thing from my old Samsung S4 Android 5.0.1 to the Google phone and does it copy everything including the SD card (as the S4 only had 16gb where possible I had the Apps or their data on the SD Card) or does the App just copy what is on Internal memory to internal memory?

What are the tricks for new players?

I am now just deleting stuff from my old phone that I dont need - moving pics and music to my laptop so it is not on the phone.
    As well I will do a full copy/backup of everything on the Samsung to my laptop just in case things go wrong.

Thanks

Garry

Thanks

Have a read and click on "Make the switch from your old phone to Pixel" no app required.

Banned
    Thanks

Yes as I unpackaged it and followed the instructions - they were all about the transfer that basically went smoothly - however as I am starting to play around with the apps there are some missing and some have not got the data that the old phone had in it that was attached to the apps. I had finance related information and some passwords locked in an App and while the App copied across the information in it didn't but I will open the App on the old phone and copy the information across.

So I think a aftermarket file transfer App may have worked better.

Cheers

Garry