Thread: Samsung Galaxy S9 Dual Sim

Thanks

Default Samsung Galaxy S9 Dual Sim

My old Samsung S4 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I need to upgrade. I am happy with Android and Samsung so I think a basic Samsung Galaxy S9 (64gb) will suit my needs. I have noticed that the dual sim versions are a bit cheaper than the single sim version at around $900 if you shop around.

However I am getting mixed messages on the use of the second sim slot - some say you can put in a sd card up to 256gb and others so in theory yes but in reality no.

Now I do not need a second sim but I do want a sd card slot. The single sim with sd slot S9 is about $50 more expensive than the dual sim version so if the dual sim version can use use a sd card in the second sim slot that is great.

So will the dual sim version work Ok with an SD card in the second slot? And if so, any reason why the dual sim card version is cheaper than the single sim version? What am I missing?

Thanks

Garry

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Anyone know?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,507 Times in 2,356 Posts

Double check but I wonder if the Dual SIM will still work now 2G has been turned off.
    I bought an Aldi Medion phone with the Dual SIM and it says the 2nd SIM was for a 2G service only.
    When I bought this phone 4G was only being introduced and as such this model cant use it.
    Correct me but I am under the impression that 3G is also slated to be 'Turned Off' by 2020, which will make this phone useless.

Unless I have been looking in the 'wrong Hole', the second SIM will NOT accept an SD card, they are totally different.
    Some phones have the SD card slot near the SIM while other are inserted externally.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-05-18 at 12:29 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Thanks for the comments - I am getting mixed messages on this hence the question - I was hoping someone might have actual experience with the dual sim S9.

cheers

garry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,325 Times in 5,153 Posts

Samsung specs state:

Single SIM model: one Nano SIM and one MicroSD slot (up to 400GB)

Dual SIM model (Hybrid SIM slot): one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM or one MicroSD slot (up to 400GB)

*May differ by country and carrier.

*Availability of Dual SIM may vary by country and carrier.

You need to be wary of the seller, to ensure you are getting an Australian model and not an OS model that may not work on some Australian bands.

Dick Smith/Kogan are notorious examples of cheaper pricing, but most are OS models.

Thanks

Yes you are quite right - the advertised material clearly says it works but comments I have seen online seems to indicates it may not. However I have not come across anyone who has one and can advise.

Garry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,325 Times in 5,153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Yes you are quite right - the advertised material clearly says it works but comments I have seen online seems to indicates it may not. However I have not come across anyone who has one and can advise.
    Garry, my point is that just because you find someone who has a dual sim model, doesn't mean it's going to be the exact same model as another one you may buy (unless perhaps it's from the same seller).

There's usually several different variants of the same model, depending on the country/market it's been built/marketed for.

eg: DS/Kogan sold an S8 model that didn't have the 4GX 700MHz band used in Australia... they said it worked on 4G LTE, which it does... but not that particular band in common use in Australia, as the model they sold was released for Europe.

I purchased a genuine Australian-released model.... which cost more than the import.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

garrycol (16-05-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 5,348 Posts

I am pretty sure Samsung dont sell dual sim "S's" in Australia.

Hence mtv's comments, you would be buying a grey import with no Aus warranty.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,482 Times in 3,961 Posts

If its of any help gary, i grabbed a second hand Samsung S7 last week, it was 32GB handset and came with a 64Gb Micro SD card, plus a wireless charging pad and leads + 2 covers, all for $300.
    The thing like new, not a mark on it.

Very happy with performance and pics it takes.

Like you, a new S9 would be great, but the price made me scoff.
    Just a thought anyway
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!