Thread: Why are we still in the commonwealth?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Default Why are we still in the commonwealth?

Just watching Harry and Meghan tying the knot tonight and it got me thinking why I am strangely allied to the UK despite being an advocate for an Australian republic.

Apart from an obvious cultural bias, I still objectively think the British system of government that we have adopted, is in fact, a pretty good one. I don't mind a largely symbolic Royal family supposedly representing our head of state. The position has no real power, (not after the Whitlam fiasco), yet is a binding symbol of good governance and democracy. I think the American model of an "Executive Branch" of government with a potentially non-elected cabinet, and the whole "Electoral College" system is seriously flawed, as demonstrated by the current administration.

I know our parliamentary system is far from perfect, what with the ability for minor parties to end up with the balance of power etc., but on the whole, I think we are far better off as a democracy, than the vast majority of countries in the world.

Peace and prosperity to Australia and its Commonwealth allies.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (20-05-18),eaglem (20-05-18),enf (20-05-18),gordon_s1942 (20-05-18),Keith (21-05-18),mkhannah (20-05-18),peteramjet (20-05-18),tristen (20-05-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Yes I think for all its flaws I'm happy the way things are. No system is perfect but when you look around the globe ours is pretty damn good. It's hard not to like Harry, I think every family has someone with a bit of Harry in them.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-05-18),enf (20-05-18),Onefella (20-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Your post Onefella goes a good way towards explaining why republicans have difficulty gaining wide-spread support - why change a system that isn’t broken and has proven to work over 100’s of years?

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-05-18),enf (20-05-18),Keith (21-05-18),lsemmens (20-05-18),tristen (20-05-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Your post Onefella goes a good way towards explaining why republicans have difficulty gaining wide-spread support - why change a system that isn’t broken and has proven to work over 100’s of years?
    As much as I agree with this sentiment, there will always be those that seek to meddle, to tinker. They can't help it.

We aren't perfect, but people seem desperate to come here.......funny that.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Our legal and parliamentary systems are both based on the English (British) system, so I guess that makes it familiar, there by easy to relate to? Don't forget they drive on the correct side of the road as we do
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

enf (20-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Belonging to the Commonwealth is no different to belonging the ANZUS treaty or any others that have come and gone.
    I cant see any benefits in changing from our current political system when you see people like the Russian President electing himself to office for Life along with a few others who have done the same thing.
    Read back into English History and see that even when the Monarch was being less than desired, (The Madness of George 111) and it seems Parliament kept the Country on an even keel as it where.
    Its hard to beat a THOUSAND years of consistency and I for one see no sense in doing so.
    Lots whinge about the cost of having a monarchy but I doubt many Presidencies are cheap to run either.

It was estimated 1.9 Billion people saw the Telecast of the recent Royal wedding and over 200,000 were around Windsor. How many DOLLARS did that event generate in tourism,travel,accommodation,food,souvenirs etc ???
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Lots whinge about the cost of having a monarchy but I doubt many Presidencies are cheap to run either.
    I wonder how much the monarchy actually costs us, the Australian taxpayer. I know we stump-up when they visit us, but do we contribute in any other way? I always thought the poms shoulder most of the cost for the royal family. I would imagine the 'Windsors' have their own money invested wisely around the place, and they probably get a bit of rent from property and holdings too.
    Last edited by Onefella; 20-05-18 at 03:30 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

enf (20-05-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    I wonder how much the monarchy actually costs us, the Australian taxpayer. I know we stump-up when they visit us, but do we contribute in any other way? I always thought the poms shoulder most of the cost for the royal family. I would imagine the 'Windsors' have their own money invested wisely around the place, and they probably get a bit of rent from property and holdings too.
    I've said this in threads here before. The monarchy is cheap at TWICE the price.

I doubt we would even spend as much as just one presidential election (assuming we even HAVE an election), let alone the ongoing costs. Then there's the political b*llshit and lies we would have to go through every time....we get more than enough of that already.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Onefella (20-05-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

A few years ago I would have said that Charlie was the best advert for a republic that we had, either I have aged, or he has matured. His kids are the best advocate for retaining the Monarchy that the monarchists have, so.... if it ain't broke...
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    A few years ago I would have said that Charlie was the best advert for a republic that we had, either I have aged, or he has matured. His kids are the best advocate for retaining the Monarchy that the monarchists have, so.... if it ain't broke...
    IMHO, the royals took a transformation after the death of Diana. They had to or they would have died. And to Charlies credit, he stepped up and became the father he should have been all the time.

I watched a little of the wedding and though that walking her down the isle and taking the hand of her mum were two of the best parts. It showed me that Charlie is human.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (20-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Who is Harry and Meghan ???

Sorry, haven't watched TV in over 15 years

The only ppl wanting to change to a republic is those grasping for yet more power/control over us, along with satisfying their own inflated ego's

A certain banking overlord with the initials of MT knows exactly who should be the first president of Australia

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

Jma (20-05-18),Keith (21-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

alphaone :A certain banking overlord with the initials of MT knows exactly who should be the first president of Australia
    This was one of the reasons I voted a NO in the referendum was the way it was worded that only a sitting member of Parliament could be chosen to be President/Head of State and as Johny Howard was Prime Minister at the time, no chance !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Who is Harry and Meghan ???

Sorry, haven't watched TV in over 15 years

The only ppl wanting to change to a republic is those grasping for yet more power/control over us, along with satisfying their own inflated ego's

A certain banking overlord with the initials of MT knows exactly who should be the first president of Australia
    True...and so does Republican Bill and the entire ALP.....they've said so publicly and raise the issue whenever they are having poll trouble.....AND they publicly oppose a popular vote.

I always remember John Howard at the Press Club prior to an election, referring to Paul Keating "You can always tell when Pauls in trouble. He cranks up the republic."

Banned
    Thanks

A country does not have to be Monarchy to be a member of the Commonwealth of Nations - a number of the members are Republics and the Head of the Commonwealth is not necessarily the King or Queeen - yes it is the Queen and Prince Charles has just been voted in as to be the next Head of the Commonwealth but it is a voted in position so in theory can be anyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Our Constitutional Monarchy is far from perfect, but it is much better than any of the alternatives. I shudder at the the thought of the sort of people our Politicians would either foist upon us as President of a Republic, or who would stand for the position. I'm no fan of the Monarchy but why change a system that is working? Before I would even think about supporting a Republic I would have to be convinced that the proposed model was going to be an improvement on what we have.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

As has been said above - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When it comes to Whitlam and Kerr, this was not the action of the monarchy. It had the Queen's okay dokay but basically it was Kerr acting on behalf of the Australian people.
    A president by any other name.

As Malcolm found out the hard way like Keating. Don't think because you want something that the Australian people want the same thing.
    The Lizard of Oz wanted to be Grand Poh Bah of Australia and his dreams for Australia were only exceeded by his contempt for it's citizens.

An Malcolm made a similar mistake. He decided that the people were not smart enough to elect their own head of state. Just look at the lousy job they do electing their politicians.
    The vote was split three ways and the voters weren't as dumb as they looked. They understood that this was a one way decision, you can't un-ring that bell.

So when they get it right, and not before, then Australians will support it.

It's like Keating wanting to change the flag. Didn't that shit backfire on him. The very bogans who he claimed to represent took back their flag from the extreme left and wrapped them selves up in them like Pauline hanson who was more representative of them even if she wasn't as smart as them.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

enf (20-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    I think every family has someone with a bit of Harry in them.
    Yes, even Meggsy's family...
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....