Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delay number 4 on nbn rollout

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    been given an install date 4 of october
    We have an install date of 26th Sept. Getting mail drops from almost every provider although we wanted Telstra for a number of reasons.
    1. Smart modem is brilliant. Went to the Telstra shop and they gave us one and then Telstra sent us another, this one with a "voice extender". It's so you don't need to plug your home phone into the modem but can have it anywhere.
    2. Smart modem has a sim card so if the net goes down it switches to 4g, 6mbps up, 1 mbps down.
    3. Don't want to go through the change the email address with so many people, companies.
    Good luck with your install.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Premium Member
    Thanks

i went with aussie broadband will have to see what their router is like

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    We have an install date of 26th Sept. Getting mail drops from almost every provider although we wanted Telstra for a number of reasons.
    1. Smart modem is brilliant. Went to the Telstra shop and they gave us one and then Telstra sent us another, this one with a "voice extender". It's so you don't need to plug your home phone into the modem but can have it anywhere.
    2. Smart modem has a sim card so if the net goes down it switches to 4g, 6mbps up, 1 mbps down.
    3. Don't want to go through the change the email address with so many people, companies.
    Good luck with your install.
    I think this is the router I have. Telstra gave it to me because the ADSL connections seems to be dropping out frequently. It doesn't switch to 4G instantly though.

Leroy

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I think this is the router I have. Telstra gave it to me because the ADSL connections seems to be dropping out frequently. It doesn't switch to 4G instantly though.

Leroy
    It takes a minute or two to switch over. When I tested my one. it sent an email telling me the service was down once the sim cut in. When I reconnected the modem, I received another email telling me the service was restored. I ran a Netgear Nighthawk modem which cost me around $400 last year, and I believe the Telstra modem is better in wifi and speed than the nighthawk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    It takes a minute or two to switch over. When I tested my one. it sent an email telling me the service was down once the sim cut in. When I reconnected the modem, I received another email telling me the service was restored. I ran a Netgear Nighthawk modem which cost me around $400 last year, and I believe the Telstra modem is better in wifi and speed than the nighthawk.
    We get those emails frequently lol
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, the NBN was connected today. I received a text from the modem telling me it was running 4G when the workman disconnected my ADSL and once they hooked me back up, I received a text from the modem telling me my connection had been restored. Speeds are good, around 48 down and 18 up. Very happy.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

dai (26-09-18),william10 (26-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

i hope mine goes as smoothly as yours

Premium Member
    Thanks

they connected and activated mine today been losing sync and speeds not that great range from 7 to 17 cannot get the image uploaded

Premium Member
    Thanks

they connected and activated mine today been losing sync and speeds not that great range from 7 to 17 cannot get the image uploaded
    Wow, not good by the sound of it. Two weeks down the track I'm still getting 46 to 48 down, 16 to 18 up consistently. I'm about 200 metres from the node. The Telstra smart modem is brilliant. I have 3 wifi cctv hikvision cameras, as well as 8 poe, and the wifi camera that was in my back garage would drop out all the time, sometimes after one day or a couple. It required a turn off/on at the powerpoint to reconnect. That was under a Netgear nighthawk modem. With the Telstra modem, I haven't had a single drop out. I'm a happy camper. I hope dai you find an answer.

Premium Member
    Thanks

consistent dropouts but their support is good they are monitoring it getting 17/15 at present they suspect a faulty modem my nighthawk 7800 will not work at all i think it needs a firmware upgrade,but the updates brick it and i have to flash it back,netgear will not do anything to help unless you pay them although it has been a brilliant unit with crap support they have lost me i am looking at a tplink one as i have no confidence in the isp sending out a replacement

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,947 Posts

Keith, what's your sync speed?
    Those speeds your getting look like you are on a throttled plan.
    At 200m from the node you should have at least 100mbps sync.

If not, I'd make sure modem is corrected at the lead in point and any other wiring is disconnected.

The netgear modem will work with ..22 firmware.

Or you could try latest firmware on USA site.....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 06-10-18 at 05:41 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi hoe
    I am thottled. Is this the sync speed 54.17M/20M ? Because I'm still in a contract until March next year (I have Foxtel through Telstra) they said for me to upgrade now to 100mbps, there would be a payout for the Foxtel side, not the Telstra side. The girl at the store said for me to wait until March. I also believe from Whirlpool that because of complaints to the TC Ombudsman of speeds not being attained that is being paid for, carriers must throttle you for one month until they work out your line speed. Don't know if this is true.

Premium Member
    Thanks

To get sync speed you need to log into your modem and check the sync or line speed.

I have a sync of 91:34, at a line length of 710m. Which is pretty good.

Yesterday I watched IPTV in full HD including some at 4k with no problems.

However around 10.30 pm it started cutting out and I had no internet on any device, but still had a VDSL connection.
    This congestion is the problem with the nbn, not enough capacity when too many people start using it....

Last edited by hoe; 07-10-18 at 12:22 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    To get sync speed you need to log into your modem and check the sync or line speed.

I have a sync of 91:34, at a line length of 710m. Which is pretty good.

Yesterday I watched IPTV in full HD including some at 4k with no problems.

However around 10.30 pm it started cutting out and I had no internet on any device, but still had a VDSL connection.
    This congestion is the problem with the nbn, not enough capacity when too many people start using it....

Yep, it's a sync of 54:20. I find I can watch 4k on youtube with no problem.

Mind you the NBN has only been available here for about 4 weeks. So it will most probably slow once the street gets hooked up.

Premium Member
    Thanks

i ended up buying a dlink Taipan it was not easy to setup as it froze and i could not get enter setup eventually got it set up and the speeds jumped to 48/17 but i have still had a dropout so it looks like there is another problem beside the crap isp modem they were going to monitor it over the weekend and if problems continued send out another modem i could not see the point in waiting for another sub standard one

Keith if the paid for speed is not achievable or close to it i would think the contract should be void as the service is not fit for service,i would think that they would check your line speed so they could point to that to void their responsibility for the problem

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

Keith (07-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

i ended up buying a dlink Taipan it was not easy to setup as it froze and i could not get enter setup eventually got it set up and the speeds jumped to 48/17 but i have still had a dropout so it looks like there is another problem beside the crap isp modem they were going to monitor it over the weekend and if problems continued send out another modem i could not see the point in waiting for another sub standard one

Keith if the paid for speed is not achievable or close to it i would think the contract should be void as the service is not fit for service,i would think that they would check your line speed so they could point to that to void their responsibility for the problem
    Yeah dai, that is what I believe happened. People paid for the speed from the start, never got near it and complained first to the provider and then to the ombudsman. Hence why they say on Whirlpool that providers only sell the 50:20 and wait a month to see if increased line speeds are possible. No idea how they do that though.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Isn't there like 6 or 7 people in the town where you live?

Premium Member
    Thanks

35,000ish.....

There is a nbn satellite ground station down the road, so you think they would have a pretty serious back haul and even a pol here....

It'd good most of the time, just peak periods when everyone is netflixing....

Connection is to katanning in Perth....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

WhiteOx (09-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

well after a week of endless dropouts after it was connected it has been stable for the last two days speed 48/13 don't say this often but aussie broadbands techs were a pleasure to deal with no fobbing off with the problem is at your end which is the reply you usually receive from isp support very happy with them as a isp

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

Keith (16-10-18)

Thanks

been a bit of activity in my street of late. Guys trying to make sure ducts/piping clear. Apparently fibre is coming and about 400m hauled from where the node is this week. Yes we are getting fibre to the premises!! Someone came earlier today to ask permission to install it. They need to because the installers have to come on to your property. Silly question really since I'm too far from the node to use copper! But the fella said in some places people have said no! He said he'll be finished mid Nov and then commissioning and then however long it takes for NBN to update their system so ISP's can see we can connect which has said can take up to another 8wks!!

Leroy

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast