Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Delay number 4 on nbn rollout

Thanks

Have unlimited NBN 50mbs here only $69 a month, lucky I got FTTH what the NBN should have been everywhere.
    Any rolled out NBN today is a bastard child that could never reach its potential.

I don't see why anyone thinks 5G will save us towns in Australia have poor 3G and plenty of blackspots.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I got a letter from TGP on Monday advertising NBN services. According to them, the NBN should be here on 22 of Feb. That will be close as dammit, IF it's actually available then, to 3 years since they had a booth in the local shopping centre advertising " NBN is in the area NOW!" Call me a pessamist but this being about the 6Th "It's coming soon" BS Notification we have had, I'd put $10K on the fact it wont be available till at least may and I'd put a good amount on it being here latrer than that. They were woking in the street about 3 Months ago and a neighbour whom enquired was told a few weeks and it would be on so ......
    The only advice on date I would be taking note of is from the actual NBN website. TPG and various other providers letter box drop for no particular reason, I can remember seeing their crap in my letter box nearly 2 years before NBN came here.

I see they aren't even offering anything above 60 MBS. I had 100MBS and got well into the '90s with my cable connection 8 years ago. Still run in the street here but you are not allowed to connect to it now.
    Have to use this Bullshit far slower NBN which costs more as well. So much for technological Progress and what's more, I wonder how much longer this NBN crap will prevent faster and better technologies being made available? It's already well out of date and holding back better, faster and far more reliable services.
    How do you know they are not offering anything above 60 MBS if it isn't connected ? The only service around that speed is fixed wireless which is 50Mbps or Satellite at 25Mbps. I presume neither would be what you are connecting to given you have old Telstra cable in your street. If its HFC, which is very possible given the Telstra cable in the street, speed is up to 100/40.

And with any NBN connection, you would be amazed at how much more you get out of your connection with a bit of tweaking. I started a thread on FTTN when I got connected, and am now getting 90Mbps down despite being 350 meters from the node.

If you think its holding back faster and better technologies (love to know which ones, other than FTTB (thats Fibre To The Bathroom at a cost of 1,0000000,0000000,0000000,0000000 dollars to supply the entire country including every remote hut that someone lives in but demands the best) I doubt you are ever going to be happy. Current NBN prices are possibly higher than an old cable connection from 2011. Having said that, 12/25/50/100 have a lot of different price points so maybe not. Given you have said 200 gb would be plenty for your household, I cant really see you having a problem. I dont think anyone needs a sub 3.0 second super car with 200 milliliter fuel tank.

If we stuck to Labor's roll out, we would be up to about 5% connected at a cost of 450 Billion dollars. Regardless, 5G will in the future start being used by a lot more people when there is more coverage and price drops with bigger allowances.

Thanks

5G can NEVER compete with fibre. It's like being in a crowded bus compared to a private limousine. Unfortunately we have been saddled with an abortion designed by Liberal Party bean counters instead of a properly engineered design.

Anyone who thinks that 5G is going to be cheaper than the NBN is living in cloud cuckoo land. The amount being spent by the Telcos building it is far greater than the cost of the NBN, and that will only be passed on to the gullible customers who are sucked in by their ads.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

How do you know they are not offering anything above 60 MBS if it isn't connected ?

That is the highest listed on the letter I got. 64 Mbs to be precise.

If its HFC, which is very possible given the Telstra cable in the street, speed is up to 100/40.
    Yes, the old " Up to" . But speeds in my area may be slower right? The arse covering the all use.

When I moved here and had the ADSL connected it was done by an NBN bloke. Apparently they sub contract at times.
    He told me not to even bother with anything above 50 as I was too far away from the node at the end of the street to get anything faster no matter what I paid.
    Meanwhile, the Optus cable in the street is bound to give me faster speeds given how well spaced out the houses are round here and the relatively low loading.
    That WAS a far faster technology than I'm likley to ever see here.

Of course with the amount of money the Gubbermint have put into the NBneveready and they fact they have outlawed being connected to anything else, I'd say there is a real good chance when anything faste comes along, they will not allow that to be set up in the first place let alone anyone to connect to it.
    The fact I have cable in my street and am not allowed to use it is complete and utter bullshit and rubbish only a gubbermint could get away with. WTF aren't I allowed to stay with cable if I so choose and am presently being denied a much faster service than the shit ADSL I have at the present time and will still likely be denied at very least the freedom of choice to use the service I want.

I can choose the energy provider I want, WTF can't I have the internet service I prefer instead of being forced to Use some Fk up of a system that offers sub standard performance and DOES cost more than I was paying for far slower speed and certainly far less reliable as far as the present ADSL goes over the cable I had. ?

I started a thread on FTTN when I got connected, and am now getting 90Mbps down despite being 350 meters from the node.
    I'm about 850-900M from the node which the guy said is worst possible scenario. He said he had severe doubts whether they would put another one closer given the low density of the houses. Apparently they are supposed to have them every KM but at the end of the line, the speed is total shit which is why he said don't even bother thinking of anything over 50 and he thought I'd be real lucky to get that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Ummm, This decade has weeks to run mate. I think your expectations are HIGHLY unlikely.

Next decade, being that we are just at the start..... Well, you -might- be lucky... but I wouldn't count on it. Most likely it will be superseded before it's available in a LOT of not so remote places.
    I forgot that we are at the end of this one and meant in the next year, supposedly in the 1st quarter of next year . Its fibre optic so should last a while with only some hardware upgrades.

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345