• There are quite a few but less than 50%

3 15.00%
  • There are quite a few bad apples but the majority are good

1 5.00%
  • There are less than 5 bad apples

0 0%
  • There's no such thing

6 30.00%

Thread: Do we have any good politicians?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Default Do we have any good politicians?

By a good politician, I'm asking mainly about integrity, not about particular political views. I watch most of our present lot interviewed and quite frankly if they said it was raining I would not accept it without checking personally. And by integrity I don't mean perfect. We are all only human and make mistakes, but I think people of integrity will eventually recognise and admit to them. And I don't mean never tell a lie. I don't think any of us ever meet that standard. It may be as simple as someone who's word you can trust and who you would trust to have your back in difficult situations. Who will really try to do the job they are given, and put aside their self-interest most of the time. Who you could trust to do important things on your behalf.

So, can anyone name a good politician in any Parliament in Australia, State or Federal? Why do you think they qualify?
    Last edited by DB44; 24-05-18 at 06:19 PM.

Look Here ->
    Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

No we do not.
    Occasionally a new one will turn up with genuine good intentions, but it doesn't usually take long for the rest of the parasites to quell that behaviour.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

allover (24-05-18),alpha0ne (24-05-18),DB44 (25-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    No we do not.
    Occasionally a new one will turn up with genuine good intentions, but it doesn't usually take long for the rest of the parasites to quell that behaviour.
    Once the 'party machine' has finished with a new recruit its all downhill

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

DB44 (25-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,476 Times in 1,535 Posts

There's no such thing

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

DB44 (25-05-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

I've known a few over the years. Don't know many of the current lot. Back in the day, Dennis Burke (fmr Chief Minister of NT) was as good as you would hope. He and his wife, were both friends. Of the current lot the only one I've spent any time with is Dennis Hood and he is a man of his word. I"ve also spent a little time with Mark Parnell, whilst a lot of Greens policy does not agree with my world view, he strikes me as intelligent and passionate.

I do believe most pollies enter the fray in the hope that they can make a difference. Many, however, either fall victim to the party machine, or they fall foul of the electorate.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Sir Robert Menzies, Joan Kirner, Gough Whitlam....see a trend???
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Sir Edmund Barton was the only good one

Thanks

There are quite a few but less than 50%

The good ones just don't get the publicity. So we can thank the media, the fifth estate and the conspiracy theorists for the negative perceptions.

IMO

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,101 Times in 9,098 Posts

On one hand............I put the ones that I consider "potential" that have been compromised in the bad apple bunch. Doesn't leave many.

That's the trouble with the political system. Compromise. But that is also it's strength as nothing would be done without it. Our political system has been hijacked by greedy opportunists who want power and money for it's own sake. More and more people see this and lose faith. One of the most disgusting things I've seen recently was on one of those bullsh!t morning shows that my daughter watches. Albanese and Abbott sitting side by side like good 'ol buddies defending politicians entitlements and pay rises.

The power of dullard independants is testament to the ever increasing lack of faith in mainstream politics by the public.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (25-05-18),eaglem (26-05-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I know of ONE now passed on who was an absolute Dinky Di ruler straight politician but on his personal side, he had an affair and they divorced I believe with bad feelings.
    But Politics is all about 'Wheeling and Dealing' and it stands to reason that sooner or later to get a resolution on a matter, some sort of 'Accommodation' may have to be entered into.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

DB44 (25-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    One of the most disgusting things I've seen recently was on one of those bullsh!t morning shows that my daughter watches. Albanese and Abbott sitting side by side like good 'ol buddies defending politicians entitlements and pay rises.

The power of dullard independants is testament to the ever increasing lack of faith in mainstream politics by the public.
    Agreed. I do not put Abbott in the good category partly because of this type of thing. He's involvement in things like fighting fires and surf lifesaving are admirable, but at the end of the day he is just another politician, prepared to defend the indefensible. I lost what time I had for Albanese with his behaviour on the citizenship issue. He is still under a cloud as far as I'm concerned and seems to be hoping it would go away. The media just seems to have dropped the whole thing.

The idea that politicians need to be paid more is spurious under this party system. Rather than attracting so-called "quality" candidates we would get the same old party hacks whilst paying even more.

@PZ. Thanks for presenting a contrary view. Personally I don't blame it on the press. I think our system attracts the wrong type of people.

@ISemmens. A thoughtful considered post. Many politicians are charming and great company, as is the nature of the game. Few of us really know them, so we can only judge them on their actions. I'm a little wary of passion. It too easily becomes zealotry. I also agree that many have what they see as good intentions when they enter politics. But they often believe they can make a difference because they know best and their own views are correct. Not the best starting attitude in a representative democracy. But ultimately I think all of them or nearly all of them are corrupted by the system.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

allover (25-05-18),alpha0ne (25-05-18),lsemmens (26-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post

@PZ. Thanks for presenting a contrary view. Personally I don't blame it on the press. I think our system attracts the wrong type of people.
    The trouble is that the 'right' sort of ppl would not sully their honesty/honor/conscience becoming an MP, especially with the now constant toxic environment that equates to lies, argument and point scoring as the norm over 'doing the right thing' and what is best for the country and ppl as a whole

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

allover (25-05-18),eaglem (26-05-18),enf (25-05-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    The trouble is that the 'right' sort of ppl would not sully their honesty/honor/conscience becoming an MP, especially with the now constant toxic environment that equates to lies, argument and point scoring as the norm over 'doing the right thing' and what is best for the country and ppl as a whole
    The problem with with thought is that the reason that the bad people succeed is because the good people do nothing.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

An interesting result so far. About 82% either think there are no good politicians at all or that they can count them on one hand (ie; 5 or less). Hardly surprising, but very disappointing.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The problem with with thought is that the reason that the bad people succeed is because the good people do nothing.
    Agreed, so its up to the intelligent and informed voters................ohhh wait !!!

With the constant barrage of outright lies, innuendo and disinformation, enabled by our bought and paid for media empires, along with the little free time available to said wage slaves/voters to verify said 'news', the majority of voters are easily influenced by said lies and disinformation