Thread: W10 HomeGroup Removed in 1803 Update.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default W10 HomeGroup Removed in 1803 Update.

As the title says they have finally banished HomeGroup from W10 which has hopefully solved some minor networking issues I've had, that I made my own shortcut to fix previously.
    Wont know if the new 1803 feature update has completely solved my issues yet, as my Lappy hasn't received the update yet & my PC only got it yesterday.
    Just noticed in notifications that it had a message telling me that HomeGroup had been removed, cool I'll throw a party cause even though I haven't used it since W8 due to it failing miserably at it's job, it was causing some network hiccups. Here's hoping now that it's gone I can network peacefully.

HomeGroup removed from Windows 10 (Version 1803)

Applies to: Windows 10

HomeGroup has been removed from Windows 10 (Version 1803). However, even though it has been removed, you can still share printers and files by using features that are built into Windows 10.

• To learn how to share printers in Windows 10, .
    • To learn how to share files, see .

Here's more info about what's changed and what hasn't.
    What’s changed?

After you update your PC to Windows 10 (Version 1803):

• HomeGroup won’t appear in File Explorer.
    • HomeGroup won’t appear in Control Panel, which means that you can’t create, join, or leave a homegroup.
    • HomeGroup won’t appear on the Troubleshoot screen when you go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot .
    • You won’t be able to share new files and printers using HomeGroup.

What hasn’t changed?

Any folder, files, printers that you previously shared using HomeGroup will continue to be shared. This means that:

• Shared network folders will still be available. You can open them in File Explorer by typing the name of the PC and the shared folder name in this format: \\homePC\SharedFolderName.
    • If one user account was set up on a PC for sharing, you can continue using that one account for sharing.
    • You can still get to any shared printers through the Print dialog box.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If you want to force the update on the lappy follow the link "post #10"

• The Following User Says Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

Tiny (25-05-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joezep View Post
    If you want to force the update on the lappy follow the link "post #10"

Yeah thanks, but I'm in no hurry, it will come when it's ready.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Why would you continue with this madness? One of the threads on a Linux forum that I inhabit is called "Boring Mint?" Need I say more?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Why would you continue with this madness? One of the threads on a Linux forum that I inhabit is called "Boring Mint?" Need I say more?
    because several of my best programs are Windows only.

& really what madness, I'm celebrating that HomeGroup has been sent down the chute.
    Cheers, Tiny

LSemmens
    Thanks

FWIW tiny, I had a couple of those, I've just managed to ditch Accsux for good, I'm in the process of convincing FreeCAD that it want's to talk with Sketchup, then I am totally free!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

OK so Feature Update 1803 was delivered & installed yesterday on my laptop, so now both PC's are running it.
    As expected the HomeGroup Network path problem I had before (even though I wasn't using HomeGroup) disappeared, however although I could now network from laptop to PC without using my DIY shortcut that I set up about a year ago, I couldn't go the other way.
    The laptop was in discoverable mode, yet at first I couldn't see it from the PC, then after a few settings changes from the videos below, it showed up but I was not able to connect at first until all the settings were completed.

Anyway these videos are very helpful; the second part of the first one solved the connection problem by turning on some services that were not on & setting them to turn on automatically so it won't happen again.

this next video helped me get access to some folders that I had been having trouble accessing recently via the network, as it appears that when Windows does a Major "Feature Update" it turns a lot of, if not all, sharing permissions off, including media streaming DLNA.
    This shows how to turn it all back on for those that get lost in all the different settings.

Cheers, Tiny

LSemmens
    Thanks

Turning off those features was the nail in the coffin for me. If I want them off then I will turn them off!