Thread: Foxtel rant !!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Foxtel rant !!!

Moderator, move to another section if you think it should be there.

Tonight I spent over 40 minutes trying to get the operator at FOXTEL to understand one of my three STB's is defective.
    When ever the Big changeover happened years ago I was given THREE TITAN brand STB's to self install and return the previous PACE models.
    A few months ago one of the TITANS gave up the ghost so I got it exchanged for another (PACE) with not too much difficulty but not now.

One of the 2 remaining TITANS has decided it does not want to work when the Remote is operated.
    I actually have a swag of Remotes I bought at an Auction but the TITAN just ignores them all.
    You can change channels and turn the Volume up and Down on the STB but thats it.

The first help center operator took me all through the rubbish of testing this and that but could not grasp the concept that the STB was NOT responding.
    So it appears I will have to have a visit from a Tech to check that the STB is stuffed and I am not trying to 'do a runner' with their lousy gear..............

I had hells own job with that 'Voice Recognition' system and I was ready to throw the STB and the phone out the window.

A very exasperating evening let me tell you.

I posted this in the Foxtel Community Forum but I doubt it will achieve any results.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (31-05-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Foxtel? Do people still subscribe to that? :P

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

DB44 (31-05-18),shred (31-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Foxtel? Do people still subscribe to that? :P

Leroy
    Yea I do its still worth it for the sports, and I have bad digital TV reception

I had to ring tech support recently one of the IQ2s power supply was crackling and hissing and shutting down, and had a replacement on its way in about 10 minutes. I was offered IQ3 but declined.

Gordon just wondering why u dont take the opportunity to upgrade unless u are still using the old tv output ? In my area Kilmore has terrible Digital Tv and the IQ2 gives me Melbourne TV 7, 9, 10, 7Mate etc so I no longer have to stuff around with the Vast Box.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I got a free "upgrade" to an iq3 as my cable iq2 died and they are moving everyone from cable to sat. But talking to them on the phone is one of life's more painful experiences. Why you can't send them a simple email is beyond me - they hide email addresses so the only course of communication is one or more long phone calls. Having said that the new box is impressive.

Thanks

Community forums, Facebook or Twitter are the only ways to get somebody from Australia to help you.

Defiantly a pain though, I need to cancel soon and I'm dreading that phone call.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Moderator, move to another section if you think it should be there.

Tonight I spent over 40 minutes trying to get the operator at FOXTEL to understand one of my three STB's is defective.
    When ever the Big changeover happened years ago I was given THREE TITAN brand STB's to self install and return the previous PACE models.
    A few months ago one of the TITANS gave up the ghost so I got it exchanged for another (PACE) with not too much difficulty but not now.

One of the 2 remaining TITANS has decided it does not want to work when the Remote is operated.
    I actually have a swag of Remotes I bought at an Auction but the TITAN just ignores them all.
    You can change channels and turn the Volume up and Down on the STB but thats it.

The first help center operator took me all through the rubbish of testing this and that but could not grasp the concept that the STB was NOT responding.
    So it appears I will have to have a visit from a Tech to check that the STB is stuffed and I am not trying to 'do a runner' with their lousy gear..............

I had hells own job with that 'Voice Recognition' system and I was ready to throw the STB and the phone out the window.

A very exasperating evening let me tell you.

I posted this in the Foxtel Community Forum but I doubt it will achieve any results.
    Gordon, this has happened to me before twice. The first time I got the "we will have to send a tech around" was for the same remote problem. I told "ABU" that I was a retired installer and that there was a definite problem with the STB. When he insisted, I just said that I couldn't be bothered upsetting my sick wife and that he should begin the process of cancellation of service....and hung up. An hour later I rang again and got a different "ABU" and told him that I was an ex installer and that I needed the box replaced and that I would self install it.

No problem. It arrived within the week and I put it in and activated it over the phone. They sent a return slip for the old IRD (and instructions for returning at their expense) via email. Done.

The second time they didn't even question it. I told them that I had replaced the box with the other working one and that it worked fine. It DEFINITELY was the IRD. They just sent me a new one using the same procedure.

Bottom line. When you ring them begin by telling them that you have already done all the obvious tests....then hope you are lucky and that the "ABU" has a clue.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks

Firstly being in an old Austar area, we do NOT receive FTA TV from the Satellite as you do in the Capitol cities as that would be a breach of their Broadcasting license. This is why VAST was introduced to provide a 'quasi' FTA Television service to those areas not covered by Terrestrial Television.

FTA television can be connected THROUGH the MyStar or IQ series but the signal must come from a suitable FTA TV antenna which if you cant receive such a signal in the first place, wont happen.

The annoying thing is I have already replaced one of the Titans a few months ago and while it was like getting a tooth pulled, it was a lot easier than the garbage I went through yesterday.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 31-05-18 at 01:30 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean. The only FTA via Foxtel for me is ABC and SBS. I never watch them anyway.

I never watch Foxtel either...well, maybe the odd footy game. I'd ditch it in a heartbeat but the females in the house insist I keep it.....and pay for it of course.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. The only FTA via Foxtel for me is ABC and SBS.
    A Foxtel Satellite subscription also includes the FTA channels 7,9,10, 7mate, 9Go and Eleven for Sydney Melbourne & Brisbane subscribers

(And the above can also include the surrounding areas of Sydney Melbourne & Brisbane thought to be in their broadcast area .... )

Generally those that were in an old Austar area are thought to be outside the Sydney Melbourne & Brisbane broadcast areas ... but their are a couple of exceptions too)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The Austar Mystar decoder was replaced with the iQ3.

In regional areas, only ABC and SBS are provided from the Foxtel satellite service, but there is provision for a terrestrial antenna to also be connected to the box to watch/record those FTA channels.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    but the females in the house insist I keep it.....and pay for it of course.
    Haaaaaaa. The same things in our house but its not Foxtel but I have to pay for it. It shows you the Brain of a woman.

Thanks

Suggest those needing 7,9,10 FTA's get a Metro address and the commercial channels will be validated for the box. I see many caravan'ers usuing Foxtel box and not VAST, but it costs monthly.

Cheers
    Hos Here

Premium Member

Thanks

I rang Foxtel this morning (Monday) and managed to bypass some of the crap but still had to wait 20 minutes before anyone answered.
    This time I told them the STB was DEAD, NO Lights, NO Action, NOOOO NUTHIN....... and it was eventually agreed to replace it with another.
    The operator told me that I do NOT have to return the STB to Foxtel as they are now considered redundant and of no use to them so that saves my daughter sending it back to me for me to send to Foxtel.

Now to wait between 2 and 7 days for it to be delivered by COURIER which I am NOT holding my breath about because of some delivery problems I am experiencing presently but that's another RANT altogether.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (04-06-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

New Pace STB arrived and installed, its a joy to be able to change channels, sound and view the EPG and not have the damn box try to load the remote setup or the Box Office option or just plain freeze up.

Now to 'deep six' the other STB and get it replaced as its refusing to acknowledge the Remote now. Tried 4 remotes, all work but not on this STB.
    BTW, anybody want a dozen or so Remotes, going cheeeeep...............