Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goverment Morons - Amazon new restrictions on Australian customers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Default Goverment Morons - Amazon new restrictions on Australian customers

This was widely reported today but I've tried to find a link not behind a paywall.

Thanks Harvey. And the politicians in your pocket.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

bss904 (03-06-18),eaglem (01-06-18),Keith (01-06-18),Mr 672A (01-06-18),OSIRUS (31-05-18),softel (03-06-18)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,109 Times in 9,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post

This was widely reported today but I've tried to find a link not behind a paywall.

Yep....They're all in it. No trouble getting THIS legislation passed.

Expect a growth in the circumvention business. Expect Gerry Harvey to continue to decline. Sigh!

I don't buy from Amazon much anymore so I don't know how much it affects me....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

amazon aus sucks big time, i was looking for a product and found
    it on their site and ended up buying it from the same company they
    source it from cheaper with free delivery.

All they will do is push more traffic onto ebay by stopping buying
    from the usa

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (01-06-18),eaglem (01-06-18),OSIRUS (31-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

They want 12.95 to post a cd. Joke.

Thanks

Amazon's Australian site is well below par at the moment. I am expecting to see a big improvement as they introduce some of the services they offer in the US and UK. They're starting very slowly and not doing their reputation any good in the meantime.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (31-05-18)

Thanks

The Chinese Government subsidise export post. China will always be cheaper

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

Ridiculous decision by the Government.
    Even with the GST added, Overseas suppliers are still way cheaper.
    It will backfire big time.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-06-18),eaglem (01-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    Ridiculous decision by the Government.
    Even with the GST added, Overseas suppliers are still way cheaper.
    It will backfire big time.
    I agree. They are not getting to the root of the problem, wages, manufacturing technology, Australian made and manufactured goods (even if the government has to fund it for a bit) The Politicians can afford to shop local but the normal person and family can not and have to find the cheapest option. The tax small business have to pay is outrages and that is probably a good start for the government to fix to promote growth for employment and manufacturing and service. If it wasn't for our mining resources we would be f*&ked.

Don't import skilled workers in the mining sector.. Start up training courses for mining jobs for the young people and give them the direction for a stable income when they finish school or finish half way between high school because they are more mechanically minded. Direction and pathways is what we need for our society to prosper.
    Last edited by cobra679; 01-06-18 at 12:25 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Well blame Jerry Harvey - and boycott Harvey Norman and Domayne stores.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garrycol For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-06-18),gamve (03-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post

Did that years ago when they argued with me at the cashier about needing my details
    for warranty.
    ME = i asked if they honored the warranty or if i had to send it to where
    the manufacturer states
    THEM = you do as they instruct you and no you dont contact us first but we need your details
    for proof of purchase
    ME = well thats what the receipt is for
    THEM = yes but it is our policy and we have to get your details
    ME = ok no probs ring it up and
    they did as i walked out the door leaving them there loosing a 2k purchase
    and i refuse to set foo in there since

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (01-06-18),DB44 (01-06-18),enf (01-06-18),gamve (03-06-18),Mr 672A (01-06-18),Onefella (02-06-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobra679 View Post
    I agree. They are not getting to the root of the problem, wages, manufacturing technology, Australian made and manufactured goods (even if the government has to fund it for a bit) The Politicians can afford to shop local but the normal person and family can not and have to find the cheapest option. The tax small business have to pay is outrages and that is probably a good start for the government to fix to promote growth for employment and manufacturing and service. If it wasn't for our mining resources we would be f*&ked.

Don't import skilled workers in the mining sector.. Start up training courses for mining jobs for the young people and give them the direction for a stable income when they finish school or finish half way between high school because they are more mechanically minded. Direction and pathways is what we need for our society to prosper.
    Much of the mining sector is being automated like everything else, so there's probably limited future there for bulk employment on previous scales.

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    They always had one use for me. Go there because they have everything, or used to. Find what you want and then leave and buy it at half the price from somewhere else and have it delivered to the door.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (01-06-18),DB44 (01-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I cannot see the problem.

Amazon will direct Aussie buyers to the site containing US sellers that comply with the new rules.

Or is the issue here that buyers are not happy that they need to pay their due in Australian taxes?

Wait there is more coming.....just the other day there was a article making it illegal in Victoria to hand over a car, for cash to scrap metal merchants.

Apparently X amount of stolen cars are disappearing never to be seen again.

So the law will state it will be illegal for wreakers and scrap metal yards to deal cash so they have a complete paper trail for the goods.

You can see where this is heading right?

A completely cashless society that is taxed to the limit with no cash to hide........

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

enf (01-06-18),Mr 672A (01-06-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have been wondering how many of those who sold products on line would handle the changes to having to charge GST on the items they sell.
    I dont blame Amazon in the least for choosing this method which at least still allows the possibility of being able to purchase On Line.
    A large number of items I have bought from Overseas where purchased NOT because they were cheaper but NO Australian retailer had the item I wanted.
    A classic example were 3 DVD's of Australian Films, Bush Christmas (1949), Their a Weird Mob (1960's) and I think one of the 'Smiley' series.
    I paid no less for them On Line than if I had purchased them here plus postage on top, I believe they are available here now but not then.

I dont know what the value for a car is for scrap but I believe here in NSW, they are worth a $100 provided YOU get it to the wrecker otherwise they will pick up but pay nothing for it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I couldn't give a damn about Amazon. Every single thing I have ever tried to buy from them I had to fill out all the details and then at the very end got the " Sorry we can't send to your region" or some such bullshit. My region is suburban Sydney. Gave up on them as a a bad joke a long time ago.
    I wonder what sites like banggood and alliexpress will do?

The whole thing is a crock. I bought something the other week, Cheapest I could find it for was $84. Online, $13.80. Delivery was supposed to be 5 weeks. It was here in 9 days. YA!
    What difference is an extra 10% going to make? Certainly not enough to turn me to paying $84 locally!

Germmy Hardy is another little whining sook that needs a kick in the arse. There is no more expensive place to buy than his franchises. He's not selling anything except rental space. They are just like little shopping centres where every type of goods is owned by a different company. My father nearly got Lynched by security there a while back when he walked out the electrical goods department and over to the furniture dept because he was interested in getting a new coffee table and thought he'd pay for it all together at the checkout closer to the door.
    After they virtually straight up accused him of trying to shoplift, he told them where they could put their kettle and everything else in the store. Bing lee has got 100% of his business ever since and he couldn't care less if they were cheaper or not. I think they are way better than Hardly Normal.

This was discussed some years ago and the verdict was then it would cost more for the gubbermint to collect the tax than it would be worth. Seems they have foisted that off onto the sellers somehow now.
    There will be an outrage if all the non conforming sites are blocked or refuse to sell. Really can't see the Chinese based ones doing that. They don't care about copyright, can't see them worried about the 57 cents the Oz gubbermint is owed when they are making about 6 cents on a sale.

Here in NSW, it has been illegal for scrappys to pay cash at all. Has to be a cheque or deposited direct into a bank account.

They always had one use for me. Go there because they have everything, or used to. Find what you want and then leave and buy it at half the price from somewhere else and have it delivered to the door.
    Dick smith when they actually sold electronics was the same for me and so are a lot of others. Regularly go shopping with the mrs for homewares and it's the same thing.
    If it's got made in china on it I know I can get it online and can often look it up when I'm standing in the store. the thing about putting australians out of work by buying online is Baloney.
    Often you can get stuff from local importers and Oz post and courier companies have never been busier.

It's not taking work or money from anyone, just shifting who gets the work and the profits now.

An extra 10% will make Zero difference to what I buy online because most of the time I'm saving 500% to begin with.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (01-06-18),Godzilla (01-06-18),Onefella (02-06-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

A completely cashless society that is taxed to the limit with no cash to hide........
    Absolutely. Except there will be a solar flare one day and they'll wish they had a system of manual exchange......i.e money!

I prefer to buy locally if it's A) a reasonable price...and B) decent quality. I'm not going to quibble over a few dollars. The problem Harvey has is the excessive price gouging. That's the ability that he wants back!

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post

An extra 10% will make Zero difference to what I buy online because most of the time I'm saving 500% to begin with.
    Exactemondo! And that is where many local retailers fail.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (01-06-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post

And doesn't it really piss off the sales leech's !!!

I love getting all the BS sales spiel, then thank them and walk out saying I'll now buy it from XXXXX

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    And doesn't it really piss off the sales leech's !!!

I love getting all the BS sales spiel, then thank them and walk out saying I'll now buy it from XXXXX
    I don't blame the sales staff, they are just doing a job as instructed. It's the gouging ethos of Harveys business that was built on having a virtual monopoly. Now, with competition he "squeals like a pig".

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post

Talk today whilst I was picking up my daughter at Uni with a friend that all the young there in droves are going to boycott Harvey Norman. This can be very serious for Harvey Norman if this goes ahead.. One girl there whist talking to about 12 youths said People "Power Against Harvey Norman", She said, Tell this to everyone.

Hummmm Interesting!!
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 01-06-18 at 05:17 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-06-18)

Thanks

It's not about money, except perhaps for a very few. We are talking about goods costing under $1,000. To buy something from the US you have to convert the currency and pay charges to the bank, and you have to pay for postage/freight. In many cases this will cost far more than a little bit of GST. And then there are the potential warranty problems. The least you will wear is the cost of sending something back to the US and having it shipped back. And of course you have to wait for delivery, a huge disincentive for those of us who want our toys now, not in several weeks time. The correct question to ask given these disadvantages is why so many Australians do buy overseas. The answer is ridiculous Australian prices including price gouging, sometimes by everyone involved in the process. Remember Apple and Adobe's appearance before the Parliamentary enquiry? Nothing has changed. Also availability. There are so many products simply not available here, and many more that are scarce and carry a huge premium over the cost of buying overseas.

GST is minor. What will not be is the added hoops to jump through and the added waiting time, and of course the cost to taxpayers. It may be news to some, but the Government wasn't allowing these small purchases to escape GST out of the goodness of their hearts. It was uneconomic to collect then, and is uneconomic to collect now. All for nothing. I for one doubt that my buying habits will be affected. If this change has any impact on sales by Australian retailers at all, it will because of the trouble and inconvenience caused to purchasers.

Godzilla (01-06-18)

Thanks

FYI from Shopmate Website:

From 1 July 2018, each time you check out a ShopMate parcel and declare the value of the goods, you will be asked to provide payment for your ShopMate shipping and the applicable GST all in the same transaction^.
    The rate of GST is 10%.

GST will be payable on:
    The value of the item(s) you are shipping into Australia via ShopMate including any shipping fees or local taxes paid to the USA retailer, and
    The value of the ShopMate shipping and service fee (including Extra Cover if applicable)
    Within 48 hours of providing payment, for each ShopMate transaction you’ll need to email Australia Post a copy of the USA retailer invoice.
    The invoice must include the price of all goods which you are sending to Australia via ShopMate and the shipping fees of these products from the USA retailer to the ShopMate USA warehouse.

Onefella (02-06-18)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast