Thread: Very white screen on TV.

Thanks

Default Very white screen on TV.

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine was away for a week and came back home to turn the telly on to a very white picture. There is still some colour but the picture is so white that you can hardly watch it!

Just wondering if the telly is dying or if it may improve with a tweak of the picture ADJUSTMENTS? Has anybody had a similar problem? Funny thing the telly was all okay with no sign of problem a week ago?

The TV is a Samsung (approx 26") Model LA26A459CIQXXY.

Any help please!

Regards
    David.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

David071, in the 'Good Ol days' when something of this nature occurred you either blamed the On/Off switch because 'it was alright when I turned it off' or a 'Valve must need replacing'..........
    I cant help you with this problem but there are some factors to consider, its age, how much use it has had and if being left on since this happened, does the screen stay basically the same or get better or worse?
    Another factor is what the area is like where the TV lives, warm,cool, cold now its winter, dampness in the air etc.
    Back in the Valve days I found that after a year or so, during this cooler period, the dust that had collected inside the TV would tend to make 'sparkly' sort of noises if the TV had not been used for a few days.

Is it worth repairing or better to replace when you look at a coming Aldi Catalog where they are selling a 40 Inch TV for $299 !!!
    I dont know if the Aldi chain has arrived in WA but I am sure you have other outlets to offer readonable deals today on a new TV.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Hi Gordon,

As I said in the first post - the TV seemed to die pretty quick from a good working colour tv of I think about 8 years of age to this problem where the screen is very very white - pretty much overnight!? The screen stays very white and does not change.

I tried to adjust all the usuals - but no cigar!

I will tell our friend that she is up for a new tv. As you say $300.00 and you have a reasonable new telly. We do have Aldi here in the West as well.

Regards.
    David.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Post your message in the section of the forum as this is a typical technical problem concerning a television receiver, not really a Sound, Visual or Digital Multimedia query/discussion (where you are at present).

TV technicians and other electronics types (currently over 40 viewing) spend some time there and one of them will probably post some relevant information, which will shed more light on the current problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

Firstly I must apologise as I did not intend to take away any responses from those technically able to advise you nor deprive anyone of a repair job but I meant it as an option.

In your first post you didnt mention it was 8 years old unless it was in the link to the model your friend has.
    Although you say it seemed to go 'suddenly', any number of factors could have caused that to happen as I gather no one was home during that week.
    Personally I feel its purely old age after being used I guess on a regular basis ( was the TV turned OFF at the Mains while your friend was away?) to be allowed to 'cool down' and everything discharged and on your friends return, turning back on was too much for it.
    The whole point with repairs are, is there anyone local, and then you have to get the TV to them, last contact I had with a repairer was an $80 upfront fee just to look at it and then was it repairable and at that age, how reliable was the rest of the set?
    I would guesstimate around $200 at least plus getting to and fro and no TV while your waiting to buying a brand new one with a warranty for $300............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

You need some tac glasses..........

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks

AS 15 chip needs changing smd about $15 it is covered somewhere this forum.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Mix For This Useful Post:

David071 (02-06-18)

Thanks

Yes. Thanks Tom.

I googled the problem and i had seen that it was a chip that has failed. Seems to be a fairly common fault.

Thanks everybody.

Regards.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

im kinda with gordon also and was thinking just chuck and buy a new one. I just tossed my 46"samdung. New 65 are $600ish now
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I understand the not wanting to toss it. I still find it difficult to come to terms with today's throw-away society.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

David071 (02-06-18),Rick (02-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

i used to be a try and fix it person but it's just uneconomical and not to mention your own time, the time without it working....

Premium Member

Thanks

Add to that is is that every 12 months or so, additional features are included so that even this $299 Aldi has that ARC (Audio Return Channel) that was previously only in the pricer sets.

I am sorry but based on the CONTENT of a lot of TV shows and the plethora of mind numbing ads, we are still being ripped of paying $299 for a TV to watch them.........