Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me replace my freeview sat setup with terrestrial

Thanks

Default Help me replace my freeview sat setup with terrestrial

Hi All

I live in the central of the north island of NZ, and want to go from sat to terrestrial, mostly for the picture/audio quality.

I'm currently running an ultraplus X-9200 and I want to retain a lot of the functionality it has, like recording multiple channels, output 1080P hdmi, etc. It must be able to decode multichannel feeds which the X-9200 never has for some reason. And skip the adds!!!! which the "approved" ones can't do...

I have 10m of coax up to a suitable place on the roof, and would rewire this for a (to be purchased) UHF antenna.

Ideas??
    Could I replace the sat tuners in the ultraplus box with terrestrial tuners or is there a better way....

Look Here ->
    Thanks

according to this site terrestrial tuners are available. ultrapower.co.nz/product_receiver_hd_satellite_pvr_ultraplus-x9200hd-pvr.html

Thanks

I forgot to mention anything I get MUST be able to receive the MHEG5 EPG.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Freeview here in OZ is simply a name used by the Broadcasters to make it appear like your getting something special and if you didnt have a 'FreeView Compliant' TV, you MAY not receive all the channels available.
    Our Consumer watchdog here forced them to withdraw this requirement because it was illegal to imply or deny access to the reception unless the receiver was 'Freeview Compliant'.
    I did get caught out when we went from Analog to Digital by buy TV sets whose Tuner's were unable to receive MPEG4 when it was introduced a year or so later.
    I had heard of MPEG4 but not that it was going to be introduced any time soon and TV's with it were more expensive.
    We got around that by adding a STB because it was too expensive to throw away and replace the Flat screen TV's, many of which were less than 2 years old !!

This was a bit like when they started to broadcast here on the UHF band and very few TV's back then only had a VHF tuner.
    By then most people had a VCR so they used the Tuner in that to receive the Channels.

I have never heard of anybody swapping Tuners and and doubt anybody does so my suggestion is to look at adding a suitable STB to receive the terrestrial channels.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have never heard of anybody swapping Tuners and and doubt anybody does...
    You must have missed all the times this has been discussed here over the years, as a number of decoders have such capability of interchangeable sat/terrestrial tuners, including the one in this thread.

Some Austech members sell (or did sell) them.

floatingkiwi,

Just a thought before you go to this effort and expense.... can terrestrial FTA signals actually be received at your location?

Thanks

Freeview here in OZ is simply a name used by the Broadcasters to make it appear like your getting something special and if you didnt have a 'FreeView Compliant' TV, you MAY not receive all the channels available.
    Our Consumer watchdog here forced them to withdraw this requirement because it was illegal to imply or deny access to the reception unless the receiver was 'Freeview Compliant'.
    I did get caught out when we went from Analog to Digital by buy TV sets whose Tuner's were unable to receive MPEG4 when it was introduced a year or so later.
    I had heard of MPEG4 but not that it was going to be introduced any time soon and TV's with it were more expensive.
    We got around that by adding a STB because it was too expensive to throw away and replace the Flat screen TV's, many of which were less than 2 years old !!

This was a bit like when they started to broadcast here on the UHF band and very few TV's back then only had a VHF tuner.
    By then most people had a VCR so they used the Tuner in that to receive the Channels.

I have never heard of anybody swapping Tuners and and doubt anybody does so my suggestion is to look at adding a suitable STB to receive the terrestrial channels.
    I think you might have mis-red: I have an STB as above, but need to change that over to a terrestrial version, somehow either by changing the 2 tuners in it or a new STB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    You must have missed all the times this has been discussed here over the years, as a number of decoders have such capability of interchangeable sat/terrestrial tuners, including the one in this thread.

Some Austech members sell (or did sell) them.

floatingkiwi,

Just a thought before you go to this effort and expense.... can terrestrial FTA signals actually be received at your location?
    Yes I can see the tower 13 km away in a straight line.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    I think you might have mis-red: I have an STB as above, but need to change that over to a terrestrial version, somehow either by changing the 2 tuners in it or a new STB.
    No, I didnt misread as you have replied with what I was suggesting and that is to add another STB capable of receiving Terrestrial TV but doesnt your TV have a tuner built in and a connection for an external antenna?

I have my TV connected to an external antenna via the fitted PAL socket on the back along with one Foxtel satellite receiver, one V.A.S.T satellite receiver along with another stb also connected by HDMI to receive FTA Digital reception for the channels using MPEG4 that the TV tuner cannot receive.

Correct me if I am wrong but based on what I was told by a NZ friend a few years ago, NZ had the usual Terrestrial FTA Television however some crowd (Freeview?) opened up a Satellite service and took away some of the programs from the FTA service. (like Coronation st and others).
    If I am correct, my guess is unless you only have a MONITOR and NOT a Television, all you need to do is connect to an external antenna which again I am guessing you dont have to pick up the signal from that tower.

Again it was my understanding that the Terrestrial FTA service was to be kept operating for those who for any reason could not subscribe to the Satellite service.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-06-18 at 05:04 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I use an UltraPlus 9200 with a sat and terrestrial tuner. You can also use with 2 terrestrial tuners. As for the EPG I'm not sure. It works fine with the system here in Oz.
    What are multichannel feeds?
    Now as for obtaining the DVB-T plugin tuners, I don't think I have any. You could email UltraPower but I don't think they have any either so maybe email Mediastar in Sydney.
    I still think they are a great box so would be nice if you could get tuners to keep using it!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    Yes I can see the tower 13 km away in a straight line.
    If this is a FTA Transmitter, why not just connect a suitable antenna (indoor or out) to the TV and use the tuner on it?
    Adding another STB or altering one seems to be a waste of money to me.

Administrator
    Thanks

If this is a FTA Transmitter, why not just connect a suitable antenna (indoor or out) to the TV and use the tuner on it?
    Adding another STB or altering one seems to be a waste of money to me.
    The OP said in their first post.

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
    I want to retain a lot of the functionality it has, like recording multiple channels.

Premium Member

Thanks

I read that.

Administrator
    Thanks

I read that.
    And it still doesn't occur to you that just connecting an antenna to a TV won't achieve what the OP wants... eg: recording multiple channels, etc?

Thanks

No, I didnt misread as you have replied with what I was suggesting and that is to add another STB capable of receiving Terrestrial TV but doesnt your TV have a tuner built in and a connection for an external antenna?

I have my TV connected to an external antenna via the fitted PAL socket on the back along with one Foxtel satellite receiver, one V.A.S.T satellite receiver along with another stb also connected by HDMI to receive FTA Digital reception for the channels using MPEG4 that the TV tuner cannot receive.

Correct me if I am wrong but based on what I was told by a NZ friend a few years ago, NZ had the usual Terrestrial FTA Television however some crowd (Freeview?) opened up a Satellite service and took away some of the programs from the FTA service. (like Coronation st and others).
    If I am correct, my guess is unless you only have a MONITOR and NOT a Television, all you need to do is connect to an external antenna which again I am guessing you dont have to pick up the signal from that tower.

Again it was my understanding that the Terrestrial FTA service was to be kept operating for those who for any reason could not subscribe to the Satellite service.
    No my TV doesn't have any freeview functionality, hence the need to replace the tuners or a new stb.

Freeview terrestrial now has more channels than sat here and is the only service that has the occasional picture and audio quality better than SD. THey say Sat HD might come this year but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I use an UltraPlus 9200 with a sat and terrestrial tuner. You can also use with 2 terrestrial tuners. As for the EPG I'm not sure. It works fine with the system here in Oz.
    What are multichannel feeds?
    Now as for obtaining the DVB-T plugin tuners, I don't think I have any. You could email UltraPower but I don't think they have any either so maybe email Mediastar in Sydney.
    I still think they are a great box so would be nice if you could get tuners to keep using it!

Leroy
    I think freeview terrestrial in NZ has gone with some funny epg format that can only be received by some boxes, including all the "official" ones. Which can't ad skip and are horrible, slow and clunky.

Premium Member

Thanks

So 'Freeview' is some kind of Terrestrial encrypted signal eh??
    I think they would have liked to do that here but either stuffed it up or didnt read the Broadcast rules properly.
    I am sure back when it was proposed we close analog and switch to digital, one of the blurbs intimidated this would allow a form of PPV to be offered.
    I have no idea how this would be archived but there are STB's and TV's that can use a SMART card so anything is possible.

We cant 'skip' ads here, thats one thing NO Broadcaster on Satellite or Terrestrial would EVER EVER agree to.
    Except for Ratings, you cannot 'Block' any channels you would rather skip over, in my case its those Infomercials and the Holy Roller, Hell Fire and Brimstone spruikers !!
    I also think they responsible for the way most TV's record using the USB port, the TV must be on the channel and turned on at the time you want to record.
    I wanted to record something overnight, set up the timer and turned the TV off which promptly cancelled the setting........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 06-06-18 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks

So 'Freeview' is some kind of Terrestrial encrypted signal eh??
    I think they would have liked to do that here but either stuffed it up or didnt read the Broadcast rules properly.
    I am sure back when it was proposed we close analog and switch to digital, one of the blurbs intimidated this would allow a form of PPV to be offered.
    I have no idea how this would be archived but there are STB's and TV's that can use a SMART card so anything is possible.

We cant 'skip' ads here, thats one thing NO Broadcaster on Satellite or Terrestrial would EVER EVER agree to.
    Except for Ratings, you cannot 'Block' any channels you would rather skip over, in my case its those Infomercials and the Holy Roller, Hell Fire and Brimstone spruikers !!
    I also think they responsible for the way most TV's record using the USB port, the TV must be on the channel and turned on at the time you want to record.
    I wanted to record something overnight, set up the timer and turned the TV off which promptly cancelled the setting........
    When I say skip ads I mean the variable forwards skip that the ultraplus allows, which is 10, 30 sec, 1 min etc...

Premium Member

Thanks

Others can correct me but I think here to skip ads on recorded FTA, you hit the FF button and hope you can stop it when the program restarts.
    Not having an IQ/Mystar stb (Foxtel) that allows recordings, I dont know what features those stb's have.

I only record occasionally on FTA using a stand alone HD/MPGEG4 STB using an SD card and dont find it as 'user friendly' as the VCR's were.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

just take a looky at this UltraPlus X-990HD maGic PVR Satellite & IPTV Receiver

Thanks

Why? I'm trying to get a terrestrial setup. Plus the 990 is only a single tuner.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast