Thread: Australia Post Office , Parcel delivery protocol.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Australia Post Office , Parcel delivery protocol.

I take this protocol to include all who deliver the Mail and Parcels.

This reply is the result of a complaint I made about being 'Red Carded' instead of an item being delivered by our RMB carrier.
    According to the email, Parcels are taken from a local Distribution Centre and carried to a Post Office.
    Items that require a SIGNATURE or are of a 'Large' size, (unstipulated), a Red Card will be written out and placed in your letter box advising you its at a specific Post Office for you to collect.
    Items NOT requiring a signature may be left but only if its considered 'Safe' to do so despite any instructions to leave it at the gate etc that may be on the item.
    Size again may play a part here in the item being Red Carded.
    Those using any form of road vehicle are not to sound the Horn to attract you attention nor are they required to operate ANYTHING to attract your attention.
    Basically anything bigger than a standard envelope that will fit through the slot of a letter receptacle is subject to this delivery protocol.

So now you know...........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,095 Times in 9,097 Posts

There's a protocol? F*ck me, you learn something new every day.

I was under the impression that each courier made it up as their limited time allowed. At least that's been my experience.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    There's a protocol?
    Yes. My experience indicates that whether an item gets left at the gate, delivered to the door or we get carded depends on:

* The phase of the moon
    * Whether it's raining
    * How many parcels have to be delivered that day
    * The courier's dog's menstrual cycle
    * How close it is to knock off time
    * Is it Friday yet?

... and many other inexplicable factors.

It's not unusual for "signature required" items to be left at the front door or at the gate. Frequently small items that don't require a signature get taken back to the post office and we get carded.

Sometimes we just get carded with no attempt at delivery - even when we're home. I think (and the guy at the post office basically admitted this happens) when the courier is busy, he just sits in his van at the start of the day, writes out all the cards and then delivers the cards.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

enf (07-06-18),Godzilla (07-06-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

shred, once you read the email I got from APO, this is exactly what it says is to be done with parcels.
    whether it is a Postie on a Bike, a walker or contractor, the protocol says a Parcel comes to the Distribution Centre, then it is carried from there to a Post Office.
    From what I gather, the Contractor is NOT the prime source of delivery to my nearest Post Office but that Post Office is used by the Contractor to hand off anything they cant or wont deliver along their route.
    This makes you wonder why the item isnt sent directly from the Distribution centre to that Post Office directly rather than being sent by the 'Scenic Route'...........
    One of the may imponderables of Life it seems.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

My father runs a business from home on his own.

I send stuff to him to the business address which is Rear, xxx, wherethefukarewe st. and write on the package/ express envelope DELIVER TO BUSINESS AT REAR OF ADDRESS but nope, they leave a card at the box or front door saying he has to drive into town, with a 30 min window between the package being available and their closing if he wants it that day (Even though courier may have come before 10 am) and pick it up because the lazy bastard courier wont go 20M up the 4M wide concrete clearly posted driveway to drop it off to him where he always is.

Funny enough, there has NEVER been a problem with the private couriers going up there to pick up and drop off as several courier's do multiple times a day.

Makes the point of a postal service pointless when you have to go get something from them yourself every bloody time.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Our local postie is great, If he can possibly deliver it, he will. If he sees me down the street, he'll even give me my mail there if I'm expecting something urgently and he's aware of it. Of course, I wouldn't expect that sort of service in a bigger community, but, here, everyone knows everyone. Our problems is couriers from out of town who have NO IDEA, and can't Read the Address on the label!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I get (almost) daily deliveries - my postie gives me 2 little beeps, and if I don't come to the door, he slips the parcels in my delivery locker (Pakman Post box) We have an understanding - and he is awesome

He red carded me once, when he first started - and the Post office lost it for 6 weeks - so if it is a big package he just hangs onto it and delivers it the next day if I haven't gone to his house and picked it up

f
    有段者

Premium Member

Thanks

George65, I take it that walkway is a private driveway and not a Public Lane,Path, Road or access despite the fact he is running a Business from there which is why the mail is not being delivered to your Father.
    As for the others who have posted, none of what they do is required of them under the protocol APO sent me.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Aus post are fantastic here too, a knock on the door, carrying quite heavy discs into my garage, no cards left, he sees the cars outside and knows we are inside.

Besides it may be the 2 cameras looking over the letter box and one at the front door........no hope of talking your way out of just popping a card in the letter box and claiming no one was home.