View Poll Results: Would you like to fly IN a Windowless Plane ?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 40.00%
  • Only if I can't find a real windowed flight

3 15.00%
  • No

6 30.00%
  • Never

3 15.00%
  • I would also fly in an autonomous plane

1 5.00%
  • I would only fly in an autonomous plane with windows

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Would you like to fly IN a Windowless Plane ?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Would you like to fly IN a Windowless Plane ?

I reckon this will be the future for all flights one day after we have been conditioned accordingly.
    The planes will be a lot cheaper to build and lower runnings costs. Budget airlines probably won't even bother with the fake screens.
    I mean everybody is staring at their smartphone everywhere they go anyhow.
    Maybe give them an app where they can select a view out of the cockpit window with HUD and a view of the wing with the engines and after your bored with that
    you grab the complimentary Google Cardboard kit for your phone so you can enjoy a 3D surround view of a luxury spacious cabin with huge windows and pretty ladies 'serving' you in selectable attire.

Alternatively the planes (for the rich and our politicians) could still be as heavy as always but the structural integrity of the cabin then hugely reinforced, making survival in a crash more likely, especially after watering. Imagine you could make an aircraft hull as solid as a submarine. That could be possible if they also remove the cockpit windows as well.

While we are at it, remove the pilots. If cars will become all driverless why can't planes be pilotless.
    There is actually far more margin for error in the air than on a road and already lot more experience with autopilots.
    In an emergency a ground control pilot could still manually control the aircraft with FPV goggles for difficult approaches/landings, landing gear failures, etc.

Therefore I jumped ahead and asked if you would also like to fly in autonomous plane. Hope I got all the combinations right

There is already an autonomous passenger drone available. I posted a while back: 
    where they still have to figure out the licensing of such a craft.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-06-18 at 11:05 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->

Thanks

I ticked never for safety reasons. If there's a crash and no power you need the light from the windows to navigate to the emergency exits. It's one of the reasons they dim the lights prior to landing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

mtv (07-06-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Good thought.
    However self luminous guide lines and even Tritium tubes (that glow on their own for 25years) could solve that.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    I ticked never for safety reasons. If there's a crash and no power you need the light from the windows to navigate to the emergency exits. It's one of the reasons they dim the lights prior to landing.
    It's also the same reason why window shades are required to be open on takeoff and landing.

Not only so passengers and crew's eyes are adjusted to ambient light outside the aircraft in an emergency, but also so passengers and crew can see wings, engines etc and are then able to report anything unusual, as the flight crew can't see a lot of the aircraft from the flightdeck.

When pilots receive warnings relating to a control surface or engines, a pilot and often cabin crew are asked to check for any visible signs of malfunction through the cabin windows.

The 'view' you might see on a display could be very different to what you would see with a conventional window, as angles of view will change with every individual window.

I would consider flying in an aircraft with only some 'real' windows, that permitted optical views of wings, engines and the outside in general (in an emergency, you don't want to be leaving the aircraft and finding yourself in a more-hazardous environment, which can happen if you can't see what's out there).

I've voted No, as opposed to never, based on those conditions.

Thanks

With so many cameras installed on such a plane to provide the passenger views one would think the pilots get a view of the engines and critical surfaces too.
    I would be astonished if that is not already available on modern Aircraft like the A380 and 787.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    With so many cameras installed on such a plane to provide the passenger views one would think the pilots get a view of the engines and critical surfaces too.
    I would be astonished if that is not already available on modern Aircraft like the A380 and 787.
    Yes there are.

The problem though, is the potential to lose those cameras (and displays) when systems fail.

That's when you need to revert to good old reliable methods of looking out of (real) windows.

Thanks

as the current commercial flying busses are replaced by modern, upmarket, new windowless planes, we, the passengers, will have no choice if we want to fly, we will start to get use to the changes (albeit complain for a bit at first, but get used to it) and each airliner will start to see the benefit of the fuel savings............and get more windowless planes
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Onefella (10-06-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

It may be inevitable, but f*ck that! No way......not by choice.

Flown across the country in a composite tube like Johnny Cab? Never willingly.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Seriously, how many of us look out the window, anyway? As the OP has observed, most will have their noses in their phone, tablet, computer, book, or newspaper. The rest will be sleeping. Plane travel is already automated. The pilot programs his destination and the autopilot does the rest. Flying in an automated tube will still be far safer than crossing the road.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Seriously, how many of us look out the window, anyway? As the OP has observed, most will have their noses in their phone, tablet, computer, book, or newspaper. The rest will be sleeping. Plane travel is already automated. The pilot programs his destination and the autopilot does the rest. Flying in an automated tube will still be far safer than crossing the road.
    Plane travel is NOT automated and I for one will never totally trust a machine in such circumstances. I look through the windows all the time in daylight. I have no problem with YOU trusting your existence to a machine at all. That's your choice. After all, nothing can go wrong...go wrong...go wrong

People have to intervene when things fail ALL the time. Even trains with tracks fail.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Tiny (08-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Plane travel is NOT automated and I for one will never totally trust a machine in such circumstances. I look through the windows all the time in daylight. I have no problem with YOU trusting your existence to a machine at all. That's your choice. After all, nothing can go wrong...go wrong...go wrong

People have to intervene when things fail ALL the time. Even trains with tracks fail.
    Then you might have to avoid trains too
    Here is a massive list of Automated trains:

Sydney will be introducing them some time soon too. AFAIK their tram disaster will be running without driver too, if it ever gets finished. Should have just left the Monorail and expanded it, those idiots.

When you are in a subway train there is nothing to see out of the window either(while it is travelling).
    I am actually a bit paranoid about tunnels where there is no where to escape, although I don't mind the subway.
    I would never go in the Channel Tunnel or those really long alpine tunnels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Yes there are.

The problem though, is the potential to lose those cameras (and displays) when systems fail.

That's when you need to revert to good old reliable methods of looking out of (real) windows.
    There are parts in an aircraft where you can have a lot of redundancy. Cameras with individual back up battery power are one of them. There are at least 4 main displays in the cockpit that can be adjusted to display everything that is going on in the system. I hope they also have backup battery power including at least one of the 4 board computers.

Where you don't have redundancy are the vertical and horizontal stabilisers. Loose connection (Digital fly-by-wire)to those and you loose control of the plane. Looking out of the Windows won't help here. There is also no manual control any more when the computers freeze, hence my often repeated joke never to use a Microsoft Windows operating system to control a plane, that is literally the Blue Screen Of Death...oops sorry, it doesn't freeze any more, it is just updating

As for my(crazy) idea of not even having a cockpit window, that would be only probable if there were actually pilotless planes.
    You would probably never get a REAL pilot to sit INSIDE a plane with no real cockpit window, at least not for the current generation of pilots.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-06-18 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I fly windowless aircraft already. It's a bit hard and pointless to put windows on a hang glider.

Ok.. you mean no windows in a commercial aircraft. No that would make my list of "THINGS THAT SHIT ME".

I want window seats. I like to see the planet and I like to navigate.
    When I came back form Malaysia last year I had a two leg flight. I always ask for a window seat. I got one for the 30 minute trip and then center seat of the center section.
    Did I say THINGS THAT SHIT ME !

I've just booked a flight with to see Uncle Sam... good thing that I have been able to book my seats. Yessss, window seats!
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

I even look out of the window when I am in a train.
    ...and when I look inside again and walk up and down I can see that I am the only one.

But give me a FHD screen where I can select live cameras from all over and even under the plane including the cockpit/cockpit displays, then I might be entertained.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Onefella (10-06-18)

• 20-06-18, 01:47 AM