Thread: Do schools think you are made of money?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,981 Times in 1,289 Posts

Default Do schools think you are made of money?

A friend’s 13 year old daughter came home from school saying the school is organizing an excursion to the USA for the 2020 school holidays here’s a flyer.

Great 20 days for $6765 + travel insurance $130 + government tax $190 + passport + medical insurance + flight to and from Sydney + spending cash all subject to change. ½ the trip billeted with a host family the rest of the time is 3 star quad share motel rooms with 2 double bed including breakfast.

Sure It sounds good but she has 18 months to get the cash together not easy for a single mum.

Me I’m the Debbie downer telling the daughter if she wants to visit the USA start saving and go for it when your 18.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

dashinson (11-06-18),eaglem (11-06-18),enf (11-06-18),mtv (11-06-18),VroomVroom (13-06-18)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Maybe it won't be so bad by the time the trip comes around.

The way things are shaping up... USA might even have to pay people to visit.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-06-18),enf (11-06-18),Godzilla (11-06-18),SS Dave (11-06-18),Uncle Fester (11-06-18)

Thanks

I'd be asking where this fits into the curriculum. Can't see any benefit in 2 years time.

I'm with you on that if you want to go start saving

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (11-06-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    A friend’s 13 year old daughter came home from school saying the school is organizing an excursion to the USA for the 2020 school holidays here’s a flyer.

Great 20 days for $6765 + travel insurance $130 + government tax $190 + passport + medical insurance + flight to and from Sydney + spending cash all subject to change. ½ the trip billeted with a host family the rest of the time is 3 star quad share motel rooms with 2 double bed including breakfast.

Sure It sounds good but she has 18 months to get the cash together not easy for a single mum.

Me I’m the Debbie downer telling the daughter if she wants to visit the USA start saving and go for it when your 18.
    Don't forget that your friend Daughter might be Shot too. That also will have a Charge too that you missed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (11-06-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,981 Times in 1,289 Posts

I would hate to think of the phone bills while OS we just whet to Batemans Bay as soon as the phone lost reception it was worse than are we there yet. And i also don't think the teachers will be put 4 to a room in 2 beds and i don't think they will be paying that much for travel as well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,115 Times in 9,104 Posts

I know what my wife and I would have told them.....especially next time they passed the hat around for money. Sounds to me like they want the parents to pay for THEIR holiday!

I can't imagine a better way to divide kids either....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (11-06-18),Tiny (11-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I know what my wife and I would have told them.....especially next time they passed the hat around for money. Sounds to me like they want the parents to pay for THEIR holiday!

I can't imagine a better way to divide kids either....
    Exactly, sounds like our politicians when they vote themselves a pay rise, just this time the teachers have voted in a holiday to the US, now all they need is enough students to pay for it.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,424 Times in 2,523 Posts

The head misstress of our local school goes to the USA to visit her grandkids months at a time OUTSIDE of the school holidays, even missed one presentation day.
    The (overworked)deputy and other teachers never say a thing.

We get almost every second day a contribution note from the school. It is little stuff $10-20 but this adds up.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (11-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I'm guessing your daughter is going to a private school.
    It's the best junket you can organise as a teacher. Think about it. You're on the books, you're getting paid to look after the brats and go on holidays while avoiding work and
    anything you do actually spend your own money on you can claim on petty cash or write off on tax.

By comparison, I just booked a flight to USA for myself and my son. $1800 for both of us return and I could have got it for as cheap as $1300 if I wasn't limited when I flew or wanted to fly via Port Moresby with a 36 hour stopover.

I'd tell your daughter that to go to USA when she is 13 and Trump is president with you school friends being babysitted by your teachers.
    NO, FVCK THAT SHIT.

Listen up chick, ya uncle trash is gunna learn ya a thing.

Wait until you finish school, and then you can visit uncle sam on your own terms, you can party hard.
    Though because USA has under 21 laws, you'll do better to finish uni and then go and party hard enough to be remembered for your effort decades later.

---

But having said that I've looked at the 'fees' from my son's public school.
    Generally it's not unacceptable, but my ex is not the brightest crayon in the pack so she doesn't stand up to the stupid shit or hand them their arses for stepping out of line.

I cracked up when I saw $5 for a fee labeled "Aboriginal".
    "Did you buy an abo?"
    "what?"
    "You know, one of those black dudes with a spear?"
    "wtf?"
    "Well it says her you bought one for $5, personally I think you've been overcharged."

Obviously the Yothu Yindi side show was in town and it cost $5 for a performance.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

gulliver (11-06-18)