Thread: Help pulling in Optus D1 in western PNG

Thanks

Default Help pulling in Optus D1 in western PNG

Hi all. I'm looking for help trying to figure out how to pull in some English language signals in western PNG. I have an unused 1.8m fibreglass dish that used to be used for a VSAT internet connection to use. The terrain is flat so almost all of the sky is in view, the Satfinder app shows the Optus D1 satellite might require some tree trimming, no problem. I can not however, understand what LNB and receiver would be best to allow me to access the FTA signals. I"m not hoping for any specific chanels, just some english language anything to have on at the end of the day to feel connected to the outside world. That is why I think the D1 is the best option, but I'm open to any suggestions. I can order parts off of Aliexpress and they will arrive, so that would be my preference for sourcing, but if you are in Australia and can ship into PNG or at least to our head office in Cairns that would work.

With Thanks,
    highflyer

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Optus D1 carries SBS and ABC, you should be able to get the feed.... but make sure.

You'll need an ku-lnbf, and the only receiver I know of that can get the Optus D1 channels is an UltraPlus X1000HD.

I'd just get a ex-Foxtel Sharp LNBF, the trouble is you're quite far away so I'd recommend you go for a Inverto Black Ultra Universal LNBF to get a better signal however the UP doesn't support a universal LNBF with blindscanning so just know that wont work. And they refuse to fix it as of now.

It's up to you, but I'd probably grab the Inverto, and deal with the extra headache with the UP.
    Last edited by nullb; 12-06-18 at 07:07 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Apart from the possible problem with the satellite being 'LOW' on your horizon, you will need to see if the beams from D1 etc are directed at you.
    Consider mounting the dish on a building if one is available and is strong enough to carry the load, its not just weight that counts but able to hold the dish securely in strong winds to stop it flying off or being twisted away from the incoming signal, a major factor in minimal signal locations.
    There are FTA channels available in English, many are run by US based Christian Church groups preaching the western christian Bible.
    Many of the channels on D1, D2 and D3 are encrypted and can only be accessed by paying a subscription to but generally not to anyone living outside Australia.
    Dish, LNB, cable, decoder, connections etc.

You could consider the VAST service on D3, it does require a specific STB and a SMART card to receive the channels, but other than the purchase price, there are no fees to receive the programs.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-06-18 at 07:08 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I really don't like your chances of receiving the D1 channel 9, ABC and SBS multistream services, as they are comparatively difficult to receive within Australia.

If possible, I would expect a very large solid dish would be needed.

The D1 footprints do cover PNG and depending where in Western PNG, you may be on the fringe.

Gordon must be confused with either your location or the satellites, as all the Optus sats will be quite high elevation from your location, around 60 deg, nowhere near the horizon.

As mentioned, VAST on C1/D3 would be your best bet, which has ABC, SBS and the 3 commercial networks, but in addition to purchasing the decoder and smartcard, you have to register to have the service activated.

As VAST is only available to Australian addresses, you would need to get someone in Australia to activate it.

Be aware that if you email VAST from a non-Australian IP, they may remove your access.... another Austech member recently had this happen to them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

highflyer83 (12-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

Gordon must be confused with either your location or the satellites, as all the Optus sats will be quite high elevation from your location, around 60 deg, nowhere near the horizon.

As mentioned, VAST on C1/D3 would be your best bet, which has ABC, SBS and the 3 commercial networks, but in addition to purchasing the decoder and smartcard, you have to register to have the service activated.

As VAST is only available to Australian addresses, you would need to get someone in Australia to activate it.

Be aware that if you email VAST from a non-Australian IP, they may remove your access.... another Austech member recently had this happen to them.

You are correct with the elevation for D1, I think it was 65-70 deg, quite high when I was checking with the app. I would do the VAST but for the reasons mentioned, AUS address and such, I don't think it is the best, I'm not Australian. What about looking more to the west, Indonesian satellites, looks like there is a good amount of channels around but not really much in English?

Thanks

Well there's plenty of English stuff on the c-band satellites up there provided you have a PowerVu capable receiver. Asiasat5 and Measat come to mind. You'll need a larger dish though and a c-band LNBF.

• The Following User Says Thank You to nullb For This Useful Post:

highflyer83 (12-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highflyer83 View Post
    Hi all. I'm looking for help trying to figure out how to pull in some English language signals in western PNG.
    With Thanks,
    highflyer
    Speak to John at they have all the gear you need for D1 ABC/SBS channels and also Channel 9 of I19.