Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ace Tone Guitar Amplifier

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    They become scratchy when the internal wiper starts to wear through the carbon track.
    Or when the carbon track has contamination on it, especially from the wrong kind of lube, and when the wiper tension gets too soft.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (21-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Or when the carbon track has contamination on it, especially from the wrong kind of lube, and when the wiper tension gets too soft.
    Yep all true.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    No nothing's mixed up at all.
    Pots DO need lubrication. The carbon element in a pot is quite hard and is a poor lubricant. Using a light lubricant does not affect the electrical characteristics of a pot (or switch) except to enhance the conductivity between contacts. This has been proven with lower and much more stable millivolt readings.
    Inox is not like an oil and it never dries out. WD40 will clean a pot but when it drys it leaves crystals on the surface which add to the wear factor. I too would not use oil in a pot.

Look here :

If you had used Inox on those pots in the studio, they might have thanked you.
    There are certain pots that do not have a graphite based resistive track that may require a special lubricating surface including the wire wound pots mentioned in your links but graphite is an excellent lubricator.
    I am not talking about the bearing grease in a pot or the inner conductive metallic ring.

Inox (I use the standard MX3) IS an oil, so is Lanolin but firmer at room temp, but I doubt that is the main ingredient and you must be related to the inventor to know that because just like Coca cola and WD-40 nobody knows what is in it, despite the B.S. found on the Internet.
    You will not find the composition of MX3 on the official Inox site. They have a special Lanolin based grease but I doubt that is what you are talking about.

So like you said above I will also not use oil (or grease) in a carbon pot.

In the 40 odd years I have been servicing electronic equipment I never had and have always done very well.
    If a pot could not be successfully cleaned then it got replaced and cleaners were mostly used as a temporary measure anyhow. If I did a job for a customer, scratchy pots and sockets were ALWAYS replaced.

...and while we are at disposing myths here is for entertainment something I found about WD-40:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-06-18 at 06:26 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (22-06-18)

Thanks

Seems different caus!es for scratchy pootsI. I think oxidisation features big.Thing is though that Inox works.Had Pana plasma about 2 yrs ago with half screen b/w roll pic. Removed many plugs inside used Inox replugged perfect pic still 2 yrs on. My Inox has PTFE added. Point is this STUFF WORKS! AND OBVIOUSLY prevents. Oxidisation reoccurring!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Just don't spray it in pots LOL

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12