Thread: How they discovered the TITANIC

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default How they discovered the TITANIC

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

allover (17-06-18),shred (17-06-18)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

There was a National Geographic or PBS/Ballard documentary on this years ago. Including extensive footage from the Thresher and the Scorpion.

The techniques used to research these tragedies (following the debris field) allowed Ballard as part of the deal, a small amount of time to look for the Titanic.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

I never knew that.

For a fascinating cold war espionage story, watch the two part series “The Raising of the Azorian”. SBS showed it about ten years ago

Short version: in 1968, the Soviets lost a submarine carrying nuclear weapons and had no idea where it went down. The Americans knew exactly where it was and spent US$2 billion in 1970 dollars (gulp) to raise it, enlisting Howard Hughes to provide a cover story for their activity. When interviewed for the documentary, the CIA representative wouldn’t say what they had learned, but he did say “it was worth it”.

The dead submariners were secretly given a proper military burial at sea, with the ceremony filmed, because the CIA knew the story would come out eventually. In the mid to late 1980s Mikhael Gorbechov was given the film.

This appears to be a short promo for the documentary on YouTube:

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (17-06-18),Godzilla (18-06-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

The project was called “Azorian”, the submarine raised was K129.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (17-06-18),Godzilla (18-06-18),shred (18-06-18),VroomVroom (18-06-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    The project was called “Azorian”, the submarine raised was K129.
    Excellent two part PBS documentary....torrents all over the place.

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (19-06-18),Godzilla (18-06-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The one on the classified navy operation by Ballard before he found the Titanic as part of the deal....

National Geographic: Titanics Nuclear Secret

Again torrents all over the place....

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I remember reading an article about the construction of a ship that was going to 'Mine' for 'Nickle' or 'Chromium' I think they said was.
    This was to be done 'Off the Coast of Africa'.
    Either or both are not common metals and lie deep underground like the Diamond mines in South Africa.
    They were ball shaped nodules lying on the Sea bed at a previously unreachable depths but this ship was being built to reach the deposit.
    I do remember it had a 'Moon Pool' from where the apparatus could be lowered from.

To make it look like it was just another commercial venture and NOT a TOP Secret Military exercise was that Howard Hughes was a prime investor in the scheme.
    At the time, Howard Hughes was a Billionaire, a Pilot and had been heavily involved in many military projects during WW2 building aircraft and other vital war equipment.
    He was a total oddball seemingly willing to go where others wouldnt like the building of the 'Spruce Goose', a massive many engined, made entirely out of wood, Flying Boat.
    This and other 'eccentricities' made him the perfect cover for this project.
    Long after his death, the 'Spruce Goose' FLEW proving Howard Hughes was a visionary.

We now know of course this ship was built and operated to find and inspect the sunken Russian submarine and the the 2 US Subs, 'Thresher and ???

As the program tells us, Bob Ballard was put in charge and promised that once the search and locate projects were completed, he could then conduct a search for the Titanic, and the rest is History......

With his Billions, Howard Hughes was 'Eccentric, you and I with the arse out of our King Gee's would be held at the Governors Pleasure in a Rubber room wearing the latest version of that long armed tied behind the back jacket........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-06-18 at 12:26 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The ship was called the 'Glomar Explorer'. It was built by Howard Hughes and funded by the CIA solely as a ruse to raise the K-129.

The hunt for the Titanic was from a different ship. The French research vessel 'Le Suroit' was the vessel that Ballard borded after finding the subs. He had navy funds for the underwater rover for about 2 weeks after the submarine mission. It was the Navy that funded the building of the rover "ARGO" and Ballard was told that if he had time after the sub survey he could use the equipment to look for Titanic.

Premium Member

Thanks

Yes enf, I didnt add that part as I really didnt take much notice of which ship did what but as Bob Ballard said, it was the search for those Subs that made him aware of just HOW a ship sinks and how debris ends up on the Ocean floor.
    That show done by James Cameron on his follow up on how the Titanic sank was very interesting as he showed how it sunk and debris fell to the Ocean floor and changed many of the ideas people had on not only how on it sank but how a ship can sink in general.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-06-18 at 04:57 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (18-06-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Be nice if they could figure out how to find a plane.....

Premium Member

Thanks

Its not finding it thats the biggest problem, its where the damn thing (MH370) actually crashed so a smaller area could be more intensively searched.
    If as claimed MH370 IMPACTED on the Ocean, being more fragile than an Ocean Liner, it would have broken into much smaller pieces which because they are smaller, could be more affected by undersea currents and float off in all directions unlike that a ship plates and boilers.
    Was the ore Manganese the 'Glomar Explorer' was supposed to be mining for???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah, I think so. Hughes and his company agreed to put their name on the whole thing, but it was a full blown CIA project.

And they only got half the submarine IIRC, as the cradle they held it in failed prior to reaching the surface and half went back to the bottom.

Thanks

A fair bit of information here, if you don't have access to the documentary:

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (20-06-18)

• 20-06-18, 01:37 AM

Premium Member

Thanks

While the discovery of the Titanic alone is fascinating, its when you see what took place in the years before that led to its final discovery thats equally as interesting.
    I dont think any one gave Ballard a snow balls chance in Hell of locating the Titanic and at times I wonder if he had doubts he would BUT he did and History was made.

I dont think anybody who saw the bow of the Titanic looming out of the gloom could ever forget it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-06-18 at 01:28 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (20-06-18)