Thread: ADSL woes and NBN available to all in the estate apart from about 10 properties.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default ADSL woes and NBN available to all in the estate apart from about 10 properties.

And of course I'm one of those properties so some of us still have to use ADSL

This has been going on for a few weeks and with drop outs as well. But it's intermittent.

I got a new Telstra modem last Wed the size of something that you'd get in the 70's that's supposed to have 4G backup and it didn't flip over to it yesterday.

Forgot how much time I've wasted calling them and or the chat support.

If there was an alternative I'd be there in a flash.

oh the fun.....Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

eaglem (18-06-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

after being on the phone and on hold for over an hour I now get this

Got me buggered how they can keep doing this when I ring up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

eaglem (18-06-18)

Thanks

A lot of people around here found their ADSL became really flakey when NBN Co started dragging fibre down the street. We suspect their activity moved and “upset” the 60 year old copper cables and terminations.

Do you have a neighbour with a fast connection who might be amenable to sharing their connection with you. Ubiquiti in particular do inexpensive, but good point to point wireless network gear.
    Last edited by shred; 17-06-18 at 08:11 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I used Optus mobile for a few months until NBN was connected at my new place.

140 gig a month for $70....

I was getting 140mbps+ Download speeds...

Tower is 2 blocks away though and most people here are on Telstra mobile....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 17-06-18 at 08:05 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eaglem (18-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    A lot of people around here found their ADSL became really flakey when NBN Co started dragging fibre down the street. We suspect their activity moved and “upset” the 60 year old copper cables and terminations.

Do you have a neighbour with a fast connection who might be amenable to sharing their connection with you. Ubiquiti in particular do inexpensive, but good point to point wireless network gear.
    We're all at the end of the cable. Apparently we are 6km via cable from the exchange!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    I used Optus mobile for a few months until NBN was connected at my new place.

140 gig a month for $70....

I was getting 140mbps+ Download speeds...

Tower is 2 blocks away though and most people here are on Telstra mobile....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    I'll reassess after the tech visits again. Incidentally the tech that came last Friday thought the old RJ11 looked like it could be corroded so instead of replacing he installed a new wall plate right beside it. The screws he should have used should have been countersunk so the cover is not clicking in flush either. WTF????

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

eaglem (18-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

@Leroy. Very annoying. Out of 5 properties owned by various members of my family only 1 has NBN available. Two have been on Optus cable for years. The other two were on TPG ADSL until I discovered that I could get Optus Cable for one and Telstra for the other. If you haven't checked recently whether cable is available it is worth doing. You probably have checked and even if you haven't it's a long shot. But 5.03 is barely acceptable. Your two speed tests look very similar to my results with TPG adsl about 18 months ago. To their credit, after spending far too long on the phone with them one day, they sent a technician out the next and it was quickly fixed. The problem was the line was very noisy and they applied a filter or some other device at the exchange to clear it up. This brought the speed test up from looking like your first test to looking like your second. With Telstra cable I just did a speedtest and am getting 52Mbps down and about 4.7 up through a VPN connection. They just increased my speed from 30 to 50 at no extra charge. I've had a lot of bad experiences with Telstra over the years, and didn't deal with them at all for a long time. They've still got their drawbacks, but this time around I'm pretty happy with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Apparently we are 6km via cable from the exchange!
    You’re doing very well to get those speeds if you are that far from the exchange. My current place has/had 4.5km of copper to the exchange and only got ADSL connected because of lobbying by the local community. According to Telstra, back in the ADSL 1 days, it was “too far from the exchange”. We started out with 0.6Mb/sec download speeds. I managed to get it up to 4Mb/sec with some tweaking.

Installing a central filter, so that the high frequency ADSL signal only goes to the wall outlet with the ADSL modem helped. Getting a Billion modem/router with a Broadcom ADSL chipset (known to perform better on long runs and also the same chipset maker that my ISP was using at the exchange) brought the speed up to 3Mb/sec. The last tweak was to change the SNR margin setting in the Billion modem and sacrifice a little stability for better performance.

[EDIT: Mb, not MB]
    Last edited by shred; 18-06-18 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks

Hey Leroy,

I have 2 Friends in Metro Syd that dont have access to NBN and less than usable ADSL... so they both subscribe to Vivid wireless..

i know they do use it for Netflix and Gaming ( Xbox & world of tanks).

Not sure what your budget is and how good Optus Mobile is where you are but its a option... at $99 unlimited, a bit pricey but if you get good stable sig....

Just a thought if can help...

• The Following User Says Thank You to snacker For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (18-06-18)