Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Can't install linux

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Loopy, there's a general introduction to Ubuntu Linux for new users at

A fully searchable manual in .pdf format can be downloaded from

(The manual is for v.16.04 but the version you are using will be very similar).

Do yourself a favour by downloading it and starting to learn the fundamentals in exactly the same way that you did with Windows.

Most of the better/larger municipal libraries also have Linux manuals available for borrowing.
    Cool...I'll check them out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-06-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

I wish i had seen this before ????would have saved me a lot of time wasted on finding things .page 16 for loopyloo problems , which is why i install lubuntu distro as it gets rid of the old system problems which you seem to have !!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (24-06-18)

Thanks

Have you seen Paint.net ?
    It's a really excellent program for windows that I have been using for years. I use it for sketching and 90 % of the time for editing photos. It will do most things that photoshop will do and is heaps easier to operate.
    I found out linux has a near identical app called Pinta. Looks great and works well. BUT, it has NO option to print....The mind boggles at that, how flamin' dumb ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

You can print pretty much anything that's on your monitor as long as you have the appropriate support for your printer installed. Some manufacturers have been very slow providing linux drivers for their devices because the market was so relatively small compared to win or mac but that's changing now. There's also a good chance that you could run that 'paint' windows program in Wine especially if it dates back to the days of XP or thereabouts.

I've used one called 'Paintshop Pro' (oldish version of it) for a very long time and that does all the picture editing I need to do without being a behemoth of a program plus it works perfectly in Linux via Wine. For more adventurous editing Gimp is more like the Adobe offering but open source.

Had a look for Pinta and the print option seems to have been removed until a later version fixes up some problems it had. Maybe just save your work and open it with image viewer which has the 'print' option for the time being.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 24-06-18 at 03:00 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (02-07-18)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    Thanks....Looks like it updated firefox ok with that sudo method.
    So what is the name of the folder with the programs in it ? eg at the moment firefox is only in the bar at the bottom of the screen, I would like an icon for it on the desktop.
    I can right click on the screen and go "create a new launcher here", and if I "browse" I'll then have to find firefox's executable.
    No probs.
    Welcome to the world of Linux, where you have control of your system not the other way around.
    What happens if you open the Menu, find what you want to put a launcher for on the Desktop & right click on it?
    I don't use Cinnamon as a Desktop environment either, only Xfce and with it you just open the Menu, find what you want to put on the Desktop then right click on it & you get the option of Add to Panel (Taskbar), Add to Desktop or Add to Favourites.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (02-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    No probs.
    Welcome to the world of Linux, where you have control of your system not the other way around.
    What happens if you open the Menu, find what you want to put a launcher for on the Desktop & right click on it?
    I don't use Cinnamon as a Desktop environment either, only Xfce and with it you just open the Menu, find what you want to put on the Desktop then right click on it & you get the option of Add to Panel (Taskbar), Add to Desktop or Add to Favourites.
    Ah is that how ya do it ... lol
    Yep right click on the item in the menu has it. I went the long way around. ha ha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    You can print pretty much anything that's on your monitor as long as you have the appropriate support for your printer installed. Some manufacturers have been very slow providing linux drivers for their devices because the market was so relatively small compared to win or mac but that's changing now. There's also a good chance that you could run that 'paint' windows program in Wine especially if it dates back to the days of XP or thereabouts.

I've used one called 'Paintshop Pro' (oldish version of it) for a very long time and that does all the picture editing I need to do without being a behemoth of a program plus it works perfectly in Linux via Wine. For more adventurous editing Gimp is more like the Adobe offering but open source.

Had a look for Pinta and the print option seems to have been removed until a later version fixes up some problems it had. Maybe just save your work and open it with image viewer which has the 'print' option for the time being.
    So what do you do if your printer manufacturer has no drivers available for linux ? I have an epson workforce 630, no linux drivers.

Sokay, I worked it out.
    I just went to printers in the menu and seen that I could search the network for it. Did a test print and came out fine.

Now if someone would add that "print" button to pinta. Surely that's not too difficult for the one who programed the rest of it.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 24-06-18 at 08:07 PM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

you will find it here

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (24-06-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If you can't find what you want as a native Linux app, there are ways to convince Windoze programs to run under Linux, WINE is one such emulator. Play on Linux is another, some people have managed to convince Photoshop to work under WINE. I've managed to convince Sketchup that it works in Linux, so it can't be too hard. It's just a matter of asking the right questions of the right people.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (24-06-18),loopyloo (24-06-18),Skepticist (24-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post

you will find it here
    Thanks but I already have it working.
    I think it must have already been in linux, just needed to find the printer on my network.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    If you can't find what you want as a native Linux app, there are ways to convince Windoze programs to run under Linux, WINE is one such emulator. Play on Linux is another, some people have managed to convince Photoshop to work under WINE. I've managed to convince Sketchup that it works in Linux, so it can't be too hard. It's just a matter of asking the right questions of the right people.
    Yep, Wine is in this linux.
    I installed everest yesterday using wine. Tonight I tried to install paint.net but something is wrong. I used wine windows program loader to install it, it came up in a box saying it will install paint.net and a version of .net. Next showed installing it. after a while a larger box appeared so briefly I couldn't read it. Even after a computer restart I can't find paint.net anywhere so I think the install was a failure. I think it should appear under wine in the menu.
    Any ideas on that ? or is there any checks I could do ?
    Last edited by loopyloo; 24-06-18 at 10:58 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

You could try changing the target version of windows in wine config but a lot of windows software just doesn't like the environment and in this case I suspect .net is the problem. I got around some of these problems by running a cut-down version of windows in a virtual machine (vmware) within Linux.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 24-06-18 at 11:22 PM.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Sometimes new Wine entries don't get put in the Menu, if Paint.net did install ok you should be able to find it in Wine's virtual C drive Program Files folder.
    Try launching it from there by it's .exe, if it starts up ok just create a shortcut to the .exe & use that for launching it.
    If your Menu doesn't have a Browse C: Drive option under the Wine heading look in your home folder for a hidden folder named .wine, it should be in there.
    On linux hidden files/folders have a . (dot) in front of their names, to hide or unhide it's usually Ctrl+H or using the Menu in the file manager View > Show hidden files.
    If you can't find it's .exe most likely the install failed.

Thanks

Not sure where to begin here.
    I've done so much mucking about and not got very far.
    Paint.net is not installed. To install the latest I have to install .net 4.7.1 which refuses to install.
    So I downloaded an older paint.net which will run on .net 4.5. The wine directory already has folders .net 1.0, .net 1.4, .net 2.0 and .net 3.0.
    Then I installed winetricks and used that to try to install .net 4.5 but that failed. Hells bells I can't remember all the crap I went through.
    .net 4.5 installed I think 2.0 first then attempted 3 and kept saying mono doesn't appear to be installed but there's a mono when right clicking on the file. Anyway 3.0 failed.
    Now if I try again to install say .net 3.0 is says I need windows 7 SP1 or higher and just quits. Crikey !
    Stuff about it on the net about it is either vague or contradictory.

How do I update wine to the latest ?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Seems Paint.net doesn't work on Wine -
    Click on the version numbers to see more info.
    When things like this happen it's usually easier to just use something else.
    Last edited by Jma; 25-06-18 at 03:40 PM. Reason: More info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post

Seems Paint.net doesn't work on Wine -
    Click on the version numbers to see more info.
    When things like this happen it's usually easier to just use something else.
    Yeah well forgetting the early versions there, you can see with the later versions all the problems stem not from Paint itself but from trying to install .net.
    .net will be important to me because of some of the stuff I do on computers, having access to some windows programs will make it worth using linux. and paint.net is one of my most used programs, in fact it prob gets a min of an hour a day's workout.

One problem I found for eg. is when trying to install .net 4.0 through winetricks, it tells me it clashes with .net 2 and won't continue.....what the hell ?

Oh and how do I check my wine version ? .... That first link might come in handy.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 25-06-18 at 09:15 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Updating is easy but not so sure it will fix your wine + .net problem
    sudo apt-get update - updates your list of available packages (seen in software manager)
    sudo apt-get upgrade - will upgrade all your installed apps to the latest versions detected by update so run them in that order (update then upgrade)

In the wine menu there's a 'configure wine' link and the about tab will tell you what version you have (mine is 1.6.2)
    Last edited by Skepticist; 25-06-18 at 09:40 PM.

hinekadon (25-06-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Original post deleted - could lead to a disaster

Other more trustworthy sources exist for later releases of Wine
    Last edited by Skepticist; 25-06-18 at 10:50 PM.

hinekadon (25-06-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

OOps it's not there any longer (Wine2) - needs a more in-depth search I think

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Updating is easy but not so sure it will fix your wine + .net problem
    sudo apt-get update - updates your list of available packages (seen in software manager)
    sudo apt-get upgrade - will upgrade all your installed apps to the latest versions detected by update so run them in that order (update then upgrade)

In the wine menu there's a 'configure wine' link and the about tab will tell you what version you have (mine is 1.6.2)
    Thanks. Yep mine's 1.6.2 also, so there's def an update for that.
    I'll check those others too.

• Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast