Thread: Reinstall BIOS on Dell XPS-L501X laptop.

Thanks

Default Reinstall BIOS on Dell XPS-L501X laptop.

Hi all. I'm seeking a bit of help here with an issue I have with my old laptop running windows 10.
    I use the computer mainly to control my bike power trainer using Ant+. The reason I use it is because it sounds good and it's a 15" which is good while I'm suffering on my trainer.

I tried updating the bios the other day and it froze not long after it started updating the bios. I downloaded the correct bios version from the dell website.

Now, nothing happens when I press the on button until I press the "end" or "page down" button. When I press the buttons the fan starts spinning at full speed and the screen stays black. I can't turn it off unless I take out the battery.

I tried resetting the cmos by removing the coin battery but that didn't seem to do anything.

My question is, where to from here? Can I buy a new bios chip and solder it on the board or is it not worth doing?

No big deal if nothing can be done about it but I would like to because it is a good laptop for my bike trainer and general stuff.

Cheers all

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

why did you flash, theres only 1 bios for it, anyway
    it froze on my computer too, altho i shouldnt open it, its not for my computer
    seems thats a exe bios, the only other way is to put bios on a floppy drive & do it

can you boot into bios at all, maybe you can roll it back, soldered bios chips are a pain

there is another,

maybe try it thru windows
    Last edited by Philquad; 24-06-18 at 01:18 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Thanks mate. Not exactly sure why I wanted to update the bios. I bought a new battery and it only charged to 76%. After a bit of reading it said it could be because of the bios needing to be updated.

I downloaded the bios from dell website and to answer your question, yes, it was a .exe.

No, I can't boot into bios st all. Black screen and fan goes full speed. Wont do anything after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

sounds like the bios is borked
    its not good those exe bios's, windows sucks enough without running that on it
    best way is through bios in a usb or file
    it does say you can do it by floppy, but i doubt its got one
    you could try putting that 06 bios i linked on a bootable cd, make that with power iso or such, as it emulates a floppy, then run the exe
    worth a try
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

slick1 (24-06-18)

Thanks

Thanks. Oh think it will be easier to buy a new bios chip. Not too sure I have a computer with CD /DVD drive.