Thread: SCART to RCA to HDMI

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default SCART to RCA to HDMI

Over the weekend my Daughter's TV died apparently and her partners brother has bought them another sold by Kogan.
    I checked on-line to see what he has bought and if I am correct, it has NO RCA inputs and therein lies a problem.
    It has both USB and HDMI inputs but she needs one set of RCA's to connect the Foxtel Pace STB to the TV.
    The Foxtel Pace uses a SCART out connector to RCA (supplied).

I see on ebay a plethora of 'convertors' between $10 and $20 and I as I have never used this combination, I am hoping one of these will do the job.

Her partner works near Gosford, does Jaycar still have a store there at Erina and is this in their catalog if it turns out this TV doesnt have a RCA input?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The simplest, free and best solution is for them to have Foxtel upgrade their box to one with HDMI output.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The simplest, free and best solution is for them to have Foxtel upgrade their box to one with HDMI output.
    Sorry but that's not quite convenient to do and after the palaver I went through to get the old Austar STB's replaced, I shudder at the thought of having to call Foxtel ever again.
    After Ebay I went onto Jaycar's listings and was blown away by the price differential, ie $25 to $150............and of the two, I am not sure the more expensive one is what we need.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

This will work but the picture will be Horrible and look crap ,I have yet to see one work correctly. (also I have found a lot dont pass the audio correctly) As suggested maybe bite the bullet and talk to foxtel

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats not the kind of news I want to hear but first we have to see what Inputs the TV does actually have.

The worst is I am doing this by 'Long Distance' and neither of them are really savy on setting things up but I had to learn so can they.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

It should have a component input. If it does, then the yellow (video) RCA should be able to be plugged into the Green (Y) component input.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks

According to the advertising of the TV it has USB and HDMI with NO mention of RCA/Composite connections.
    All we can do is wait and see just exactly what connections are on the TV.
    Taking a 'punt' there are none (RCA) I posted the query now rather than later.

If this is the TV that was chosen for them, its a Kogan 55" 4K LED TV (series 8 MU 8010 10) with an LG panel and 2 X USB and 3 X HDMI connections.

It doesnt mention having a PAL TV socket in the specs so fingers crossed with the others.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-06-18 at 02:15 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

From the pdf manual for that TV.......although I dunno how accurate Kogan manuals are......

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-06-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for that emf, I did a more though search of the specs and found both RCA and Composite connections are available which if correct, solves all our problems.
    Now all we have to do is wait until it arrives to make sure.
    I was not surprised to see them NOT listed because like the SCART and that 5 pin, VGA, SGA etc have all had their day as now its all HDMI until something else is devised.

Premium Member

Thanks

TV arrived and it does have all the standard types of connections available.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (02-07-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Too easy...this time. For the future, another way to connect could be to use an intermediate device like a DVD player or VCR. I've had to do that in the past when component video (RCA) connectors were not available.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...