Thread: Skymuster outage.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Skymuster outage.

I was going online around 9pm last night (Friday) and it didnt want to open the browser and when I looked, my Modem was flashing a white light instead of a nice steady blue.
    As it wasnt important I went and watched TV instead.
    Thought the night during one of my 'calls', I saw the ring of light was still flashing white and then orange, white then a briefly lovely RED which means things aint good and back to white so off to bed and back to sleep.
    I checked again after 8am and its still flashing white so around 10.15am turned the Modem off for a few minutes and rang my ISP when it still flashed white.
    15 minutes later they answered and details exchanges and it appears there is 'an Outage'....however the Tech support had no information as to when it might be restored.
    Now its been out for 15 hours, still happily flashing away........fortunately I kept my Teltra wifi dongle and it still has 9GB of Data left on it so that will keep me running for a while.
    I have had hiccups before but this one is excelled all the others.

Btw, how long does it take a Tech to suit up and reach orbit to use a bigger hammer to restart everything?
    Rang after 6pm and by now there was a recorded message saying that there was an outage affecting 'some Skymuster customers' .................
    Looked in at the Modem just after 8pm to see a nice BLUE light indicating that it was now connected to the satellite, close enough to 24 hours.............
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 30-06-18 at 09:27 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

when this happens to me I usually turn ntd off for 1/2 to 1 hour then turn it back on , it usually works and internet is restored

Premium Member

Thanks

After the third attempt and ringing my ISP and going through their routine only to be told the NBN was aware of 'an outage', There is little else one can do but wait for the 'Blue Circle of Life' to appear again.
    I had to prise the Modem off the wall so I could read the serial number to them, not that it did any good.

Actually I have some life left in a Telstra Eliite modem so that and whats on the Mobiles allowed me to get done what I wanted until the system was fully restored.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

there is a group on facebook that help people with nbn problems (BIRRR)

Premium Member

Thanks

Unhappy

I have received today an email from my ISP that the NBN is advising they plan to do an 'Outage' overnight to correct an ongoing problem they believe was caused last month during some 'Software Updates'.

Whatever is to be done appears not to be a 'One off, all OFF line' but will affect Regions, areas, locations at varying times of the night.
    In the advisory it states this problem has stopped customers from using the Internet even though the 'BLUE ' light of Life is showing on the Modem..........
    Your on line, on a website etc and suddenly you realise nothing is happening and then after few minutes up pops the message that the connection has 'Timed Out'.
    So you check the Router, Green, Green, Blue there and a steady BLUE on the Modem but you aint surfin', Baby.
    Power everything off and restart and hope for the best........

So let's hope this will eliminate what ever is wrong.

Despite this I MUST say that SkyMuster is a damned sight better than the previous (Ipstar) satellite Internet and CHEAPER.
    Most people (me included) are never happy unless they have something to whinge about
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-07-18 at 04:27 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

When does yours go green Gordon??
    It only has white, red, yellow & blue.

yes I received an email that they are updating the software in the modem over the next 2 weeks & that the modem must be powered from 11pm over night as the update is starting at that time & as it's incremental to subscriber no one knows exactly what date you will get updated.

Found the email;

NBN have advised they will be performing an update to their satellite modems to fix a widespread issue affecting all providers that causes modems to lose connection for short periods of time and fails to connect to the internet.

Starting Monday 16th July and continuing through till Friday 27th July, at 11pm AEST each evening, NBN will be updating customers satellite modems across Australia. The update to your modem will only occur once during this two-week period and should take approximately 30 minutes. When completed the modem issues some customers have been experiencing should be resolved.
    What do I need to do?
    Ensure your modem is switched ON every evening from 11pm AEST from Monday 16th July until Friday 27th July. The update will take place automatically and no customer interaction is required.
    When will my nbn modem be updated?
    Services across Australia will be updated in a staggered approach between Monday 16th July and Friday 27th July. After this 2-week period nbn is confident all modem problems will be resolved.
    Will there be any downtime to my internet connection?
    There may be a short period of downtime when your modem is being updated. The expected downtime is 15-30 minutes. During the update the modem may not be able to connect to the internet.
    How will I know if my modem has been updated?
    NBN has confirmed all modems will be updated as long as they are connected and turned on over the 2-week period of Monday 16th July to Friday 27th July. As this is an automatic update, no completion notification will be sent. To ensure this update occurs, please make sure your modem is switched ON from 11pm AEST for the 2-week period.
    My modem isn’t connecting to the internet?
    If you are having issues connecting to the nbn satellite service, please turn the nbn modem off at the power point for 30 minutes and then back on allowing 15 minutes to establish a connection.
    If you have questions or experience any technical issues affecting your connection to the nbn satellite service, please call our Australian based Customer Care team on 13 22 88.
    Kind regards,
    Activ8me
    Last edited by Tiny; 17-07-18 at 07:56 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, Green is one of the three lights on the Netgear28 Router, from Left to right Green for Power, Green to indicate Router and modem are 'talking' (goes 'Brown' when not talking) and Blue is the WiFi connection.
    The Router has 4 lights but as one is for ADSL, that doesnt light at all obviously.
    So, I look at the Modem first and if its Blue, then the Router and what its displaying and after that, its kick the shit out of the Dog if I am still not surfing..........(not realy, SWMBO would kill me if I did that !!).

Everything was up and running by the time I came on line after 11am so presumably all went well overnight with their 'Outage'.

Premium Member

Thanks

Hmmm, everything was 'Blue', 'Green', 'Green and Blue ' but couldnt surf the net when I turned the Computer on at 4pm today..........Power the Router OFF then ON, waited for the lights to reappear and here we are.......
    I just LUV technology.......