Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    get in line - first we have to think of the
    -turtle movement
    -rivers movement
    -beaches movement
    -sandalwood incense changes its properties when packaged in plastic movement
    -51 million bag march movement
    -free dogshit bags movemnet
    -peoples front of judea
    -judean peoples front
    -the national senate inquiry to determine who came first the peoples front of judea or the judean peoples front, movement
    -the bowel movement

all wanting to be first
    you forgot those who are bowel movements how dare you miss them out lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    you forgot those who are bowel movements how dare you miss them out lol
    they had to run -
    they were relieved that their movement was released in its entirety prior to the court handing out their discharge papers - to a collective sigh
    Last edited by mello yello; 15-08-18 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks

So I been buying plastic bags at the checkout for 10 cents each.. And at every shop I go to I end up packing 50 percent of the stuff or all of the stuff because the checkout guy or girl can't keep up with the packing of my goods.

Anyone else having this problem?

Premium Member
    Thanks

they usually scan and pack each item the only problem i have is packing the bread most have no idea on how to pack it properly

Thanks

i only shop where they give free plastic bags - independent grocers, etc -
    where i used to get trolleys full of lollies at Coles, we now just get a handful of stuff you cant get elsewhere - and use a cardboard box to carry it in

I used to be happy paying more for V Power as i had convinced myself it was "better" for my car - have gotten over that and use Mobil, have not used a Shell servo since The Great Bag Ripoff - and thats a lot of lost revenue

Im happy with that -

they keep asking me if i want a receipt - i keep asking back if it is free or are you charging for it ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My Wife has always carried a couple of small material type shopping bags but now they are changing, she bought some made by one of the locals at the recent Daffodil Festival and uses them now.
    Some items like soft drink bottles we never bagged because it took 2 or 3 at best and was forever falling over so they went into the trolley 'loose' and laid on the bottom allowing other items to stack on top.
    She has it down to a fine art of either repacking from the trolley into a suitable bag while still in the shop or when she puts the groceries in the boot.
    For cold or frozen items, we have always carried at least one large thermal bag in the boot whether we're going shopping or not.
    I cant see what all the fuss and bother is about as we go back to long before those plastic bags were made available and everyone took their own bags shopping.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

a lot of the fuss is over the bullshit they are trying to feed us that they are "doing it for the environment" - thats part of it - the other part is the fact that they want people to fork money out for it - they caused the problem by going plastic because it was cheaper way back when, it caused some sort of environmentalist problem as far as they are concerned, well then , let them pay of it
    its like the captain of the Exxon Valdez charging the locals for the oil spill cleanup

• The Following User Says Thank You to mello yello For This Useful Post:

peteramjet (26-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default The great plastic bag debate

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    a lot of the fuss is over the bullshit they are trying to feed us that they are "doing it for the environment"
    That sums it up nicely.

A couple of shopping bags provided to each shopper is but a drop in the ocean when compared to the plastic or wax coated cardboard packaging in almost every product, and the plastic wrap used by the supermarkets to secure every pallet. If the supermarkets reduced those plastics at the same time they could rightly say it was for the environment, but only stopping the consumer side is nothing but a money grab.

I’ve been using reusable shopping bags for years, well before the self imposed ban by the supermarkets in NSW. However every now and again I would forget them or ask for the store bags, mostly because I used them for different things around the home, then as bin bags. Now I buy bin bags, which are solely single use, when before the store plastic bags at least got used for different things before becoming bin bags.

There is very good research conducted by the Dutch Government in relation to reusable bags. They have had to use them for years, and they have found that while plastic waste has slightly reduced, the overall environment benefit has been negative, due to the detrimental effects caused in making reusable bags. Effectively it’s a lose-lose situation. They also found that a ‘reusable bag’ had to be used for 7 years to get any environmental benefit. I don’t know about you, but my reusable bags barely last 12 months!

Edit: Essentially, claiming it’s ‘for the environment’ is a sham.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 26-09-18 at 04:05 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (27-09-18),mello yello (27-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Those plastic bags NEVER replaced any other bag in the shops except a very large brown paper bag and they were NOT supplied everywhere.
    Prior to them becoming available, people brought their own and most only bought as few items at a time, not like today when one trolley at least is required.......
    We used to shop at Jewels, a sort of supermarket and we used to grab the cartons the stock came in to carry away our purchases.
    We did the same at Food for Less, now known as Big W today.
    The plastic bags were really introduced because people were buying more at a time and often the store had nothing to pack them in.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Edit: Essentially, claiming it’s ‘for the environment’ is a sham.
    I have yet to see a single thing that isn't!

"The environment " is a great noble platform for big biz and gubbermints to brainwash the gullible with to get more revenue and profit out of them with minimal to no questioning.
    Show me one single thing to do with the " environment" that does not cost more money than something more effective that could be done for nothing.

Want to reduce plastic waste, emissions , landfill and use of resources? Easy!
    Stop Product Dumping.
    Brother in law ran a waste transfer station near the city. The amount of products that were perfectly good, safe and brand new that were dumped because they were the old model, last seasons, superseded etc but absoloutley nothing wrong with them, was criminal. TONS of stuff every day came in there. Every type of product from the smallest to the largest. Make up to furniture, tons of electronic, industrial products, machinery, furniture.... the list was endless and like a daily lucky dip of shame.

One of the bigger single disgraces I saw was Big W dumping 2 CONTAINER loads of mens shorts.... because they had the wrong bar code on the swing tag. That was it. Nothing else wrong and I can verify that from years of wearing a dozen pair that were salvaged. Still another 20 pair to go, be a life time supply. WTF they couldn't give some kid a job at $10 an hour replacing the swing tag beggars belief. Have to be cheaper than dumping them just on the tip fees.

But this is the same company who dumped perfectly good clothing that now tells us they want to do their Bit for the " environment" By making you pay for plastic bags to carry the shopping in. Bull shit!

If you want to do something meaningful, just pass a law that says unless something is faulty, it can't be dumped, it has to be sold, donated or otherwise put to beneficial use so the resources, energy and emissions from it's creation are not just pissed up the wall.
    That would cost NOTHING and do a lot for the cause they pretend to be so concerned about.

Of course we'll never see a worthwhile initiative like that because there is no money in it for big Biz and the bought and paid for gubbermints they own.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

mello yello (27-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default ALDI - Sneaky Pricks

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread

But of the 3 ALDI's i go to, not one of them run that trolley with empty boxes in it anymore!
    All ALDI's used to have that trolley somewhere around the store, generally up the front behind the Alcohol.

An obvious move to make people buy a bag!

So i take great delight in up ending a box on a shelf and using that

Really surprised ALDI have done this, after 15+ years of allowing their customers to use disused empty boxes and save them the cost of disposal.

Anyone else noticed this?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (03-11-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    So i take great delight in up ending a box on a shelf and using that

Really surprised ALDI have done this, after 15+ years of allowing their customers to use disused empty boxes and save them the cost of disposal.

Anyone else noticed this?

Been doing that for eons, while I rarely see a trolly with empty boxes.
    My kids usually wanted the boxes for projects anyhow or the cat goes crazy over them. After that they usually end up in the compost bin.

We also use the re-usable cloth bags and never had problems with that in the 30-40 years they have been around. They can be mashine washed.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-11-18 at 04:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (03-11-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

If there are no empty boxes in Aldi, I create them.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

ditto
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

My point was, ever since the Single Use Bag ban in other supermarkets....
    ALDI have taken away their complementary boxes.

Yes, you can make your own
    But seems sad / money making move to not to offer the boxes to shoppers anymore
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Like I have said before, all this save the planet / environmentalism is nothing but a money spinner cloaked in a virtuous excuse.
    As soon as push comes to shove and it costs a buck instead of making one, it's straight out the window.

I would like to see the REAL numbers on the amount of bags the supermarkets are still going through.
    I bet it's Bugger all different to what it used to be.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (03-11-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I guess in situations like this, which are annoying for most shoppers.
    Other people find oppertunity

I'm amazed now the amount of manufactures or importers that have added an insulated shopping bag to their range

Very clever to turn a problem into an oppertunity.
    $40 and up some of these bags are!

Fashionable and functional.... We all know women have an infinity with bags
    Last edited by ol' boy; 14-11-18 at 11:52 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-11-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

As of 1 Jan :

Penalties for Western Australia’s plastic bag ban come into effect on January 1 with retailers facing potential prosecution and fines of up to $5000.

Plastic bag suppliers and manufacturers who provide misleading information to retailers also risk being prosecuted and fined. The ban applies to all retailers, not just supermarkets, and all bags with handles with a thickness of 35 microns or less, even if they are biodegradable or compostable.

Wow, how brainy, ban biodegradable bags. Well done WA Government.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (31-12-18),hinekadon (31-12-18),Tiny (31-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

So, now that we no longer recycle plastic, not that we ever really did

Are we to ban all the 2ltr Single Use Milk Cartons?

Last edited by ol' boy; 17-08-19 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    So, now that we no longer recycle plastic, not that we ever really did

Are we to ban all the 2ltr Single Use Milk Cartons?

I thought we are making railway sleepers out of them:

• Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast