Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The great plastic bag debate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post

Just another greenwashed sook to be seen to be doing something rather than actually putting in the effort to do anything effective and worth while.
    they had one job,
    just one job, to do in their whole lifetime - they didnt even have to be on time every day,

just one job to do - all they have to do is save the planet - and they couldnt even get that right

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I don't give a f**k about the plastic bag debate either way but I did find this amusing when I had some things delivered by Coles last week.
    I was putting the groceries away when I picked up one of their 15c bags.
    Inside this 15c bag was another 15c bag tied in a knot.
    I opened the bag and inside was another plastic bag containing 6 tomatoes.

So 3 plastic bags for 6 tomatoes lol.

Thanks

3 BAGS for 6 tomatoes ? somebody call the Green Police

a diesel VeeDud with emission cheating software spewing NOx was "good to go" - sort of like this plastic bag ban - total BS!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mello yello For This Useful Post:

enf (03-08-18),lsemmens (03-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I don't give a f**k about the plastic bag debate either way but I did find this amusing when I had some things delivered by Coles last week.
    then you do give a f**k, you witnessed how totally useless it is

join us!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 578 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    ~ those who bitch at Aldi for their coin in the slot trolley deposit but are quite happy to leave the one their using anywhere they like and then complain when the trolleys arent removed.
    The kids around here are right onto that, seems like a real easy way to make a few quick bucks every arvo!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

What ever happened to the old paper bag for the biscuits? Wrapping your meat and stuff in old newspapers? Time was when NOTHING was pre-packaged, even our milk and soft drinks came in glass bottles that were returned and re-used. And we "recycle"??????????
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

All that was too expensive, so the Supermarket Cartel got rid of all that and gave us enough plastic to glad wrap the entire globe 50 times over (note to Greenputz, i just made that figure up, dont quote me - i picked it out of my backside, just like the 50 million plastic bags at Bondi figure) - and now, now that they have pillaged every possible cent, they now want and expect us to pay to keep a few greenies happy

Exxon Valdez and Mobil were made to clean up their spills - get down to Bondi and save a turtle - and pay for it yourself!!!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

lol, was just in Woolworth's here & they replaced the wooden park bench near the checkout with a recycled plastic bag seat,
    It's obviously for publicity/image about this plastic bag shit.

Looks like they're doing everywhere
    I wonder what they did with the perfectly good wooden one??

Last edited by Tiny; 03-08-18 at 04:45 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Having once worked in a plastics factory I can tell you the recycled plastic in that seat would be no more than 20%.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

enf (03-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

If you are really THAT environmentally concerned, you shouldn't be doing your shopping in a supermarket to start with IMHO.

I saw some Vids about a guy in india who was paying for plastic which the locals went out and picked up in the form of plastic bottles and other rubbish there. Wasn't too fussy about it, just fed it all into a big extruder and made fence posts with it and was selling those. Very simple and basic to make but were in demand there and could be nailed like wood and of course last an eternity.

Then the guy got the idea with the stuff being so strong to make replacement beams for building houses etc out of it. Big timber ( or any timber ) is hard to get and exy in India so this guy was soon doing well and looking for another extruder to keep up with demand.
    Mean while, every kid and peasant in town is running round finding all the plastic they could. Place went from being buried in plastic bottles particularly to not a one to be seen. Town had never looked so clean and tidy.

That's real recycling, doing something useful, not putting energy and resources in for the sake of appearing to do something to appease whingers and gain social acceptance by looking like you are drinking the Koolaide as prescribed.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (04-08-18),hinekadon (04-08-18),lsemmens (04-08-18),mello yello (04-08-18)

Thanks

so what happens when these recycled plastics burn?

this road for instance, is smack bang in the middle of bushfire central

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Burning may be an issue, I would hope, however, that it works for them. I've seen other products made of recycled plastics, If they are as durable and strong as the material they are designed to replace then it may well be a good thing. Personally, I tend to think that roads made out of concrete are the winners in durability. There was (and probably still is) a section of road just out of Cairns NQ, that was laid by the Americans in WWII that was still in use in the 1970s.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    so what happens when these recycled plastics burn?

this road for instance, is smack bang in the middle of bushfire central

Wood and other materials burn and give of fumes/smoke which even if their NOT toxic will kill you because they contain little or no oxygen so while this is a concern, hopefully preventing those plastics used in buildings from catching fire in the first place would be the way to go.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

mello yello (10-08-18)

Thanks

Mrs and I went out today and ended up going where we didn't plan, not that there was a real set plan in the first place.
    Got hungry so went to have a look at a new shopping centre in a new estate. right near where we ate there was a Wollies so knowing milk and bread were getting short an thinking we'd go shopping tomorrow, we went in while we were there.

I was thinking of this thread and looking round at all the plastic. It's effing incredible. 80% of the fruit and veg is plastic wrapped and as mentioned, if it's loose, you get yourself a plastic bag off the roll and put it in there. You cannot buy any meat that's not plastic entombed either.

We got a bunch more stuff, as one does and of course got to the check yourself out ( they are too tight to even be bothered to take your money off you now!) and saw that bags were .15c and there was a printed speil about saving the planet and the usual green washing. I don't like these self serve things very much but given the length of the lines where they did offer the bare minimum of service, on 2 aisles about 8 deep each, I opted for the shorter que.
    Having never been trained as a check out chick I'm not very good with it and the goddam pedantic machines throw me off as well. I'm not sure I actually scanned everything in the trolley but ya know, I'm not trained in this skill set so if I stuff it up, that's their loss. Literally. Couple of friends always say they think they deserve tips for the good work they do for the supermarkets when they act as checkout chick for themselves.

Call me sexist but I NEVER go to a bloke on the checkouts if I can help it. The majority of them are Slow as and frigging useless. The girls have it all over 90 % of blokes.
    There is the one .... person.... that wears a lot of makeup and has a speech impediment but seems to wear male clothing but is female in every other way and mannerism. Surprisingly, it does seem to be rather proficient at it's job.... No matter how confused it is about being Authur or Martha. I can only Imagine what my Country born and bread Dad would say if he got served by that in his local supermarket. Probably ask if he was wearing fancy dress or his nuts had fallen off or something.
    Dad's very old school.
    Always asks the question why the " cripples" need parking close to the door if they are then going to walk or wheel themselves round the shopping centre for an hour and cover hundreds of meters. Ponders what difference does another 30 Meters to a normal car park spot make?

Got to the car with everything in the trolley to the mrs dutiful supply of bags. I looked at what we bought and EVERYTHING was plastic encased bar a small glass bottle of Eucalyptus oil ..... which had a plastic cap. Not that we try to buy plastic, more like you can't avoid it! There was a cardboard box of baking soda or something but that too has wrapped in a cellophane like plastic so 100% plastic strike rate.

And they mean to tell us that not having the Plastic shopping bags is going to make a difference to the rubbish in the environment? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed which means when my intelligence is insulted, I get real annoyed that the excuse is so lame that even a twit like me can work it out.
    I was thinking about how if one weighed our small shopping total, or any other, and added up the plastic packaging of the products by weight or volume and compared that to the plastic in the bags, what the ratio would be? I reckon 1-2% at the absolute most. The 3 x 3L milk bottles we bought would make a bunch of bags for a start.

As we got down to the car park I noticed a couple of people coming in to the centre with a bunch of bags. I made note to Mrs, next time we come to Wollies we are going to be carrying COLES bags in a way to display them best we can and when and if Coles stop free bags we'll take in the wollies ones.
    We are not brand Loyal to them at all, They are both there to screw you over so we go to which ever one is closest if there isn't an Aldi in between.

We prefer when we have time on a weekend to go to the awesome independent place 2o min away that makes Shopping a pleasant experience with their old time, have everything under one roof, truly fresh and diverse range.
    And... every checkout has someone pleasant there to ring things up for you.

Will be interesting to see if they stick with this or it turns out to be more trouble or costly than it's worth.

I wanted to have a bit of sport with returning the bags to the big 2 but the Mrs has no sense of Humour. I thought some dirty Jocks, a " Marital Aid" maybe some strategically smeared Vegemite or Rubber Dog dodo or a toy snake " accidentally" left in the bags we returned might add some entertainment to an otherwise mundane task but she's a bit on the straight side for that unfortunately.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Yeah, I reckon the best way is to shop at each and get a shitload of Woolworths bags to use at Coles and a heap of Coles bags to use at Woolworths

Of course, every one reckons Aldi is the golden child for no bags but of course they are the only ones that sell lettuces in sealed plastic bags.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Speaking of Single use bags

Ever looked in the confectionary section....
    A wall of plastic bags, holding 20 individually wrapped chocolates inside each.

A bag, in a bag, that might get placed in a bag at the check out.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-08-18 at 01:15 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Ever looked in the confectionary section....
    A wall of plastic bags, holding 20 individually wrapped chocolates inside each.
    They may be a reason for that.

Technically you are not allowed to offer " Naked" sweets say at a kids birthday party or a function of some kind. By health regulations all sweets that are offered around or placed in a bowl for people to help themselves must be individually wrapped. Bag of Loose sweets, obviously not much they can do about how you distribute them at home or in private but if you have a party at home and put them out for guests, they are by law supposed to be individually wrapped or in a semi enclosed cabinet with Tongs to pick them up and place them on a plate or in a bag much like a help yourself Smorgasbord arrangement.

Thanks

same reason we had single use plastic bags - hygiene

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    same reason we had single use plastic bags - hygiene
    Waiting for the health professionals to scream for single use plastic bags to be brought back due to a huge increase in gastro/bugs due to unhygienic packaging ppl now use............................ohhhhhhhhhh think of the whales !!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Waiting for the health professionals to scream for single use plastic bags to be brought back due to a huge increase in gastro/bugs due to unhygienic packaging ppl now use............................ohhhhhhhhhh think of the whales !!!!!!
    get in line - first we have to think of the
    -turtle movement
    -rivers movement
    -beaches movement
    -sandalwood incense changes its properties when packaged in plastic movement
    -51 million bag march movement
    -free dogshit bags movemnet
    -peoples front of judea
    -judean peoples front
    -the national senate inquiry to determine who came first the peoples front of judea or the judean peoples front, movement
    -the bowel movement

all wanting to be first

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mello yello For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (15-08-18),lsemmens (14-08-18)

• Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast