Thread: NSW to Vic Vehicle Sale and Rego Transfer

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default NSW to Vic Vehicle Sale and Rego Transfer

My brother has a family NSW registered vehicle he wishes to give to his daughter who lives in Vic. The car still has 6 months rego.

I have checked some details on the internet for both Vic Roads and NSW RMS ....my thoughts are that it may need to happen like the following:

1. Formalise a vehicle sale from the Family to my niece who obviously resides in Vic - the ideal time to do this would be close to the end of the NSW rego (we assume that the NSW Rego refund will to advantage of NSW RMS no matter when this is done)
    All formal NSW RMS paperwork Seller to Buyer etc to be completed, signed etc

2. Arrange for a Vic RWC to be completed in Vic.

3. Make arrangements at a Vic Roads office as per an interstate Rego transfer with Buyer and Seller details (item 1 above) and Vic RWC documentation (item 2 above) to suit.

4. Vehicle Insurance also to apply at all times

Has anyone here had experience doing this and if so can they can recommend the easiest most efficient way to do this?

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have transferred vehicle regos interstate from time to time, but only between SA and NT. None of them entailed change of ownership, though. Every time it was relatively painless and I got a refund from the appropriate state rego authority at the time. I just rocked up at the motor registry with the relevant paperwork and they did the rest. In SA the only inspection that was required was a copper to check the engine number on the car.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

It varies....they all have ways of extorting cash from you.....

I bought a new car in November at a dealer in Ulladulla NSW. They arranged for a temporary permit to drive to the ACT. I then had to pay a tax AND have the vehicle inspected ($65) by ACT Rego because even though completely new, I had bought it from an interstate dealer. Extortion!

Don't expect it to go as you would deduce it should with logic and common sense.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

yes you will need to get a vic RWC to reregister the car in vic. You will also need to pay stamp duty. Prob get a receipt for a very low amount as the stamp duty will be based on this. If it is too low you can be questioned. Being a family member might be a good excuse but then vic roads might go by red book value. You should be able to cash in the nsw reg.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

It certainly will need a VIC RWC. (at minimum)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,922 Times in 1,283 Posts

Years ago transferred bike rego to Qld from ACT they wanted to charge me a sales tax for a bike I already owned and 3 years later changing to ACT from Qld the same again.
    Both times i stated that the tax had bean paid with proof on the 1st rego and charging me again was double dipping.

SS Dave