Thread: To WAN or not to WAN?

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Default To WAN or not to WAN?

Well, that is my question.......

I have just got the NBN and My provider supplied the router.

It has 4 LAN ports and a WAN port.

I have simply plugged in my home network into one of the LAN ports but now I am wondering if there is benefits to having my home LAN plugged into the WAN port?

Does it offer me a different level of security?

Thanks for looking in.

Porkop
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Have you plugged the Wan port of your old router into a Lan port on the new router? If everything is working and is satisfactory with this configuration then the main disadvantage I can think of is double Nat. Some people are apparently using this setup with Telstra as a work-around to use their own router for internet. However, without the Telstra provided router NBN home phone won't work. Telstra is refusing to give out VOIP passwords to set it up on other devices. Apparently this setup works surprisingly well but can cause problems with some services, including at least some VPN's. If you're using wireless you now have extra wireless networks, which can theoretically cause problems but probably wont.

Unless you have some good reason for wanting to keep your old router I'd personally recommend you retire it and just move your network to the new one. However, if you can't be bothered and dual Nat is not causing you problems there is no compelling reason why you can't leave your setup as is. Having said that, I've plugged my old router into the modem (cable in my case, not NBN) because I use features which are crippled or not available on the one provided by Telstra.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Thats the reason I went NBN in the first place. The old ADSL2+ router started playing up and as our area was to be switched off of copper in the next 6 months, I decided to just make the move.

Well if there is no valid reason, I will just stay with the LAN<>LAN.

Thanks DB44
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!