Thread: Foxtel Modem Router Disconnecting when it detects VPN download

Thanks

Default Foxtel Modem Router Disconnecting when it detects VPN download

I have a full Foxtel internet / sat /phone NBN package .
    I also have NORD vpn package .
    In the last week each time I load Nord p2p and access an Australian Government blocked IP address, the vpn allows me to access the site however as soon as I attempt to download a file the download starts, gets up to 1 or 2 mbps then decelerates and then disconnects the modem .
    I have used the trial version of AVG vpn and the same thing happens .

If I access an IP which is not Aus Gove blocked then the accessed file downloads normally.

Does any one have a clue whats going on or, better still , a solution ?

Cheers,

Ramp

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Your post arouses my curiosity as I am not aware of any websites, which are blocked by the Australian government or any of its agencies.

Can you be more specific?

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-07-18)

Thanks

Tristen

Try https:\\1337x.st

This is one of many

Cheers

Ramp

Premium Member

Thanks

I have accessed the 1337x.st website without any problem and have downloaded several files via their respective torrents as I normally would using uTorrent. (I sometimes use other torrent clients also).

Of course, 1337x.st merely point you to a torrent file. They do not host the wanted software etc. on their server.

The torrent file is not the desired software/program/movie etc. either. The 'seeders', located in many diverse locations around the world provide small portions/bits of what you are downloading via a torrent. The torrent client puts all the 'bits' together so that you end up with what you want on your computer.

Torrent downloads are subject to many factors, which affect YOUR download speed e.g. number of seeders, geographical locations of the seeders, their upload speed restrictions (depends on their ISP, plan they are on, network congestion at the time and whether they have limited their upload speed for a particular torrent etc. (Yes, I sometimes limit my upload speed in my torrent client in order to allow me to preserve my upload bandwidth for other purposes).

Additionally, the internet speed in your location will vary according to time of day, the particular plan you are on, your ISP's available bandwidth (varies according to bandwidth they have purchased from NBN Co), number of users connected at any one time and their particular activity, i.e. whether they are downloading stuff or merely browsing etc.).

As I have recently indicated in another thread, the path that your downloads take in getting from one part of the world to your home computer is akin to a highway with many vehicles, sometimes speeding along at 180 km/h and at other times slowing to a crawl, due to lane reduction, lane narrowing, accidents, roadworks and other speed restrictions.

Also, remember that daylight in Australia will be night time in UK, Europe etc.

Internet congestion locally will be least during night time and before local school children get home and start playing their internet-based games etc. Adults arriving home from work and wishing to use the internet will result in more demand on available bandwidth and so on.

Having the NBN does not mean that you will always have exceptionally fast download (or upload) speeds. This is due to many factors, some of which I have mentioned above.

It is stated that some ISP's 'throttle' users' speeds, particularly if they think that you are downloading torrents. They do this in order to preserve their available bandwidth for other users. (Think of your own frustration when you encounter somebody in front of you 'hogging the road').

I use Exetel and have not experienced this but I cannot comment concerning other Internet Service Providors (ISP's).

As a matter of interest, which ISP do you use?

Incidentally, I NEVER use a NordVPN server located in one of the 'Five Eyes' countries for obvious reasons to those familiar with which countries they are. If you don't know what this means, use a search engine to find out.

I always use a server located in some obscure part of the world such as Bolivia, Moldavia, Romania, Cuba etc.

If you are using a VPN, the Australian government do not know what you are downloading anyway as all your internet traffic is passing through the VPN's servers.

If you don't know much about VPN's it will pay you to do some research on their pro's and con's.
    Last edited by tristen; 14-07-18 at 09:06 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I tried to connect to the site you listed and it timed out then tried again using express VPN no problems.

I tried a 1.3 gig file and got 2+ mb/s for the entire file using uTorrent.

ISP here is iinet NBN FTTN on a laptop connected via 2.4g wireless

Maybe the seeders don't have the complete file.

SS Dave

Thanks

Tristen
    Thank you for your detailed response .
    Whilst I understand what you mean and how the Torrent system works this was not my issue .
    My issue is that :
    When I log on to that site through a Nord vpn located in the Ukraine, Iceland, or some such obscure place , it does indeed log on , it does commence the download and then decelerates and finally disconnects my PC from the internet completely not just that site . I am totally disconnected . and , as I habe my laptop and my PC operation from the same modem and my telephone , all of that is disconnected as well .

It seems that I must re boot the Modem, as well as my PC and Laptop to re connect with the modem.

maybe there is some weird malware in my systems doing this but I cant find them with pretty heavy scanning .

Any way hope someone can find an answer for me as it seems it must be in my systems here as no one else is having the problem?

Cheers,

Ramp
    '

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampant1 View Post
    I have a full Foxtel internet / sat /phone NBN package .
    I also have NORD vpn package .
    In the last week each time I load Nord p2p and access an Australian Government blocked IP address, the vpn allows me to access the site however as soon as I attempt to download a file the download starts, gets up to 1 or 2 mbps then decelerates and then disconnects the modem .
    I have used the trial version of AVG vpn and the same thing happens .

If I access an IP which is not Aus Gove blocked then the accessed file downloads normally.

Does any one have a clue whats going on or, better still , a solution ?

Cheers,

Ramp
    Disconects the modem? do you mean that your network drops off? which torrent client are you using? it could be that you are flooding the conection and your firewall or antivirus is the real culprit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to apsattv For This Useful Post:

tristen (15-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I see what you are getting at though it seems highly improbable that Foxtel (ie; Telstra) is disconnecting you for using a VPN. I have a Telstra cable plan and routinely use a VPN without problems. Nor is it likely that Telstra is somehow detecting the torrent traffic and then completely disconnecting you. Are you able to download using a torrent obtained from another site? Do you have another machine you can try to use to download using a torrent? Or perhaps a live Linux distro? Or even a different torrent client? apsattv has made some good suggestions. It seems sensible that if you are being disconnected from the Telstra network something unusual is happening with your traffic. Trying without your firewall and/or antivirus may be useful if you are prepared to take the risk.

My suggestion is that you call your ISP after one of these disconnections and have a technician look at the log and explain why you were disconnected. There is nothing wrong with using a VPN, particularly now the Aus Government has these draconian data retention requirements. You can certainly download, say, a Linux distribution or two via torrent over a VPN without any question of you breaking the law. This option is going to be time consuming whilst you wait forever in a telephone queue and annoying as you painstakingly try to understand the Indian, Filipino or other accent of whoever you get and persuade them to drop their script and transfer you to someone who knows what they are talking about, but this does seem to be the best option.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

tristen (15-07-18)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    I have accessed the 1337x.st website without any problem and have downloaded several files via their respective torrents as I normally would using uTorrent. (I sometimes use other torrent clients also).

Of course, 1337x.st merely point you to a torrent file. They do not host the wanted software etc. on their server.
    My ISP (iPrimus) blocks that site and many others in one of those blocklists the idiot govt. forced on ISP's, they redirect you to the standard dribble about infringing copyright.
    Only DNS filter so it's an easy circumvent.

Here's what I get if I use the ISP default DNS to try & access 1337.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

i would suggest that you download tor and place youself in iceland thats going to stuff them up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I downloaded 2 torrents from that site and both downloaded the content very quickly using a VPN. Using Telstra. Unfortunately it was just a test and I'm not interested in keeping the things I downloaded. I rarely use torrents these days.

Premium Member

Thanks

What are you using for your DNS Settings? The ones provided by your ISP or something like Google?

The blocks are pretty crude from what I've read and if there's some sort of leak it might just be freaking out the ISP software and crashing your connection.
    Last edited by pete123; 16-07-18 at 02:32 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

VPN connections do not use the ISP's (or your allocated) DNS servers.

The NordVPN application will add their DNS to the network settings and use that.

Thanks

try this

Thanks

i know when i setup the nordvpn in my asus
    i had to select not auto for dns and instead
    use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and all works perfectly

Thanks

Do you have a secondary router you can use for testing?

Not sure how an NBN modem works as I'm on cable, but wondering if it can be put into bridge/passthrough mode with a less restrictive, more powerful router on DD-WRT, Tomato to handle VPN, routing, etc.

Thanks

I think you will find the issue is your torrent client flooding the connection and then router dropping you off.

Tell us which torrent client you are using?

Thanks

Guys thanks for all the information.
    I finally found a mirror site aand am using this sucessfully.
    I still do not know what was going on however so far so good on the site I wanted and its full stream ahead !

Thanks
    Ramp