Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm rooted!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I am pretty sure I am defying logic by not having a stroke after running this site for 20 years
    Must be my positive outlook on life

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (23-07-18),Learjet (23-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I am pretty sure I am defying logic by not having a stroke after running this site for 20 years
    Must be my positive outlook on life
    Then explain your hair loss Andrew

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Then explain your hair loss Andrew
    I did have hair when I started mate, you could be on to something

Edit : I forgot just how many smilies we have on here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

I've only been on here for 15 years and I didn't have any hair then either. Damn genes. At least I save money not needing a barber.

Statins are making me sick. The booze is looking better.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    You got me wondering now if I'm at risk of stroke. The hypochondriac that I am. I had something weird happen a few years where the right side of my body went partially numb. The doctors said not to worry about it!
    That worries me, as it is indicative AFAIK of a stroke/almost stroke??

I empathize with you my friend, been watching this thread not knowing what to say, i have the dreaded gene according to my elder brother who has already had a stent last year.
    All male family members in my line had a heart attack mild or critical by 60.

I'm hoping to break that record, if not I'll die without breaking that record I guess.
    I'm fit, no blood pressure issues , no pain, no problems with stress testing, have my own Omron blood pressure monitor & test regularly.

I always life every day like it's my last, so I'm OK with what life has for me.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Learjet (24-07-18),Rick (23-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I always life every day like it's my last, so I'm OK with what life has for me.
    Spot on live like you were dying!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Learjet (24-07-18),Tiny (24-07-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

Yep, you never know whats round the corner.

My sister has been living in China for the last 2-3 years and is currently back in Australia after contracting medical problems that Chinese doctors were clueless on.

She has some pretty bad neurological issues and my mother has had to move in with her to look after her. She is 48. Doctors here appear stumped as well, however my wife and my daughter both think its and my sister is now hounding doctors here to test her for it. Testing is complex and apparently expensive. Unfortunately if thats what it is she has had it for a while and has the most severe of symptoms some of which will leave her with ongoing problems.

My wife and daughter (who both work in health, one a nurse, one a care worker) are now even more convinced as apparently my sister adopted a stray cat while in China.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    My wife and daughter (who both work in health, one a nurse, one a care worker) are now even more convinced as apparently my sister adopted a stray cat while in China.
    I'm off topic admin but Lyme Disease is got by tick bites, not cats...Unless the cat had some on it when she adopted it and they bit her. Nasty disease if she has it though.
    Last edited by mandc; 24-07-18 at 03:09 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

Learjet (24-07-18),Tiny (24-07-18)

Thanks

I'm somewhat familiar with Lyme disease. I read up on it once. I'm still subbed to the Lyme disease association of Australia. I could probably pick it up with my microscope.

Good luck Tiny. Just keep it in mind and if you have pain, you know what to do.

I had a good day today. No angina for once. I carry my bottle of gtn spray everywhere. Apparently there were also tablets to put under the toungue, but every chemist is out of them. The bottle is a bit cumbersome. Strange thing to run out of?

Thanks

removed
    Last edited by mello yello; 24-07-18 at 11:55 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Every now and then there is an issue with the manufacturers of a particular medication and they cannot supply. We've had this on odd occasion with wife's meds. Sometimes a key ingredient is not available, sometimes, the manufacturer just decides that they are no longer supplying said product and it is then up to the doctors to find a suitable alternative. The poor chemist, then, is the meat in the sandwich because they, to the average noddy, are the suppliers.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Learjet (25-07-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

When I had a recent breathing (Spack attack) problem, the Ambo's gave me a tablet to place under the tongue which I think was Glycerine? and intended to act on the heart.
    I wasnt having a heart attack but protocol is at my age and condition to stick those damn contacts everywhere before they do anything else.
    I have however appeared to have had a 'stroke' since then as about 2 months ago I woke up and there was something not right with my vision.
    It was like I had someone else's glasses on or the lens had water on them.
    Went to an Optometrist then an Ophthalmologist and the verdict was the muscles that move the eye (right) weren't doing their job.
    Oddly enough this does NOT affect your vision in general but sitting in a car, the left eye sees the white curb side line goes straight ahead but the right eye sees this same line as going off to the right by some 30 degrees.
    I am 'long sighted' and wear Multifocal lens glasses 24/7.
    It is weird to sit following a car to see a second car beside it which doesnt exist !!!
    Close either eye immediately removes the effect.
    Last tests showed this problem has almost vanished.

I was talking to the doctor attending to my Late Mother when she was recovering from what she thought was her first stroke and he said had already had a number of episodes but they were so minor that she was totally unaware they had occurred.
    From then on it was only a matter of time for the last episode to happen.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-07-18 at 01:07 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Learjet (25-07-18)

Thanks

I'm back, with a couple of extra parts! Angiogram, 3 hours on the table, 2 stents and one exhausted cardiologist. It was a long and complicated procedure due to the position of the blockages. I was 90% blocked in one and critical in the other. Had to stay an extra two nights in hospital due to elevated troponin levels. The entry point was through the wrist. I am battered and bruised but I have survived. Getting stronger everyday.

• The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

alpha0ne (19-08-18),dashinson (18-08-18),enf (18-08-18),Godzilla (19-08-18),Keith (18-08-18),lsemmens (20-08-18),mkhannah (18-08-18),mtv (19-08-18),Skepticist (21-08-18),SS Dave (18-08-18),Tiny (21-08-18),WhiteOx (19-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Don't fvck off yet Learjet

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

allover (18-08-18),enf (18-08-18),Learjet (18-08-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

I've been down the stent road, so I wish you all the best. Can be like a new lease on life.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Learjet (18-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    When I had a recent breathing (Spack attack) problem, the Ambo's gave me a tablet to place under the tongue which I think was Glycerine? and intended to act on the heart..
    Nitroglycerin. It's a vascular dilator.

Typical side effect is that it causes some nasty migraines.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Nitroglycerin. It's a vascular dilator.

Typical side effect is that it causes some nasty migraines.
    Yeah. Lowers blood pressure and will hopefully prevent some damage to the heart muscle.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    I'm back, with a couple of extra parts! Angiogram, 3 hours on the table, 2 stents and one exhausted cardiologist. It was a long and complicated procedure due to the position of the blockages. I was 90% blocked in one and critical in the other. Had to stay an extra two nights in hospital due to elevated troponin levels. The entry point was through the wrist. I am battered and bruised but I have survived. Getting stronger everyday.
    They stopped the entry point from the groin area as what use to happen to men your dick would go on strike for 80% of men and considering the operation was 2 to 4 hours on most most men would have to stay in hospital for over a week because they cannot pee.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (20-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    They stopped the entry point from the groin area as what use to happen to men your dick would go on strike for 80% of men and considering the operation was 2 to 4 hours on most most men would have to stay in hospital for over a week because they cannot pee.
    I'm glad they used my arm then!

Yeah the nitro spray under the tongue and diltiazem, (which is a CCB / vasodilator) kept me going until I could get the procedure done. Don't need them now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Yeah. Lowers blood pressure and will hopefully prevent some damage to the heart muscle.
    The lower blood pressure is a side effect, not really the way it works. Lowering blood pressure can make the bad situation worse.

If you've ever been on nitroglycerin or handled it as an explosive, the migraines it causes at the thing you notice most. (apart from the ease of chest pain).
    The last time I was given it, I was ill from some kind of virus which caused me to vomit. Trying to throw up nothing first thing in the morning caused an esophageal tear and I started throwing up blood. Of course this also cause some chest pain when your own body is trying to tear itself apart from the inside out.
    I also had a terrible headache which was also probably an effect of the virus.
    So I decided to drag my arse to the local hospital where I got the express treatment because of chest pain even though I told them I seriously doubted any cardio problems. They gave me some pills, which I always ask what they give me... Nitro.... err... you're treating cardio? What's the risks if I don't have cardio?
    "Your blood pressure is good, so there is no worry. Take the pills now just in case."

I joked... I already have a shocking headache, another one isn't going to matter.
    "So you've had nitro and heart problems before?"
    Err, no ... but I'm familiar with the side effects... lets just say I pay attention more than most people.

Half an hour later my headache was gone. Thinking it was caused by vascular constriction and higher blood pressure.

Nitro usually gives you a migraine going on and coming off.
    Miners and blasters that used nitroglycerin used to wear head bands with nitro on them.
    It's easily absorbed transdermally so handing it caused nasty migraine when they started work and when they stopped.
    To avoid it they would keep in contact with it permanently wearing the head band.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast