Thread: N9ZN has arrived.

Thanks

Default N9ZN has arrived.

Greets to fellow repair enthusiast.

My name is Monty and I reside in Tampa, Florida U.S.A.

My background is as follows. Found a self-interest in Amature Radio while in Elementry School around age 10. Between ages 11 - 16 I spent hours fixing anything small and electrical I could get my hands on including TV, Radios, Clocks and learned how to solder pretty well. From 17 to 26 I complete my High School and College education where I learned Computer Science and the basics of Electronic Engineering Technology. Since these life landmarks, I have continued to dabble in fixing anything electronic I could get my hands on. My life was spent working in the Computing and Telco fields where I progressed up the ladder to senior management levels grabbing the titles of Director, V.P., and CIO. prior to retiring around age 55. Retirement years have been enjoyable, plenty of time to travel and time to invest in the things which interest me all of which have to do with electronics of some sort.

Due to the long-term working in computing and telco, much of my electronic engineering knowledge has evaporated from memory. This leaves me turning more and more to groups such as this now that I have time to dabble with things needing repair. My assumption is I like the same things most of you enjoy. specifically TV, Radio, and other small electronics repair.

As in the title, N9ZN (my Amature Radio Extra Class License Callsign) has arrived to see what I can offer and find to advance knowledge.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

welcome cool bananas to you, vk6zrm don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Welcome to Austech, Monty.

Great introduction!

There's several amateur radio operators among members and other like-minded people, so you'll fit in well.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Callsign not found on the ACMA database, Don?

Banned

Thanks

gone cold from 1979/80
    Last edited by hinekadon; 20-07-18 at 01:13 PM. Reason: wrong

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon
    Quote Originally Posted by mtv
    Callsign not found on the ACMA database, Don?
    gone cold from 1979/80
    Sorry Don, but you implied you still hold the callsign.

I appreciate you have previously held the call, but given it's a legal identity, you can't imply you currently hold that callsign if you don't.

If you said 'formerly/previously licensed as vk6zrm' or similar, that would be OK.

Banned

Thanks

havent checked ?? was unlisted!!!

Administrator
    Thanks

Sorry for this going OT.

Don, if you haven't been paying your amateur apparatus licence/callsign renewal every year, then you lose it.

You could get it back as it's not currently allocated... paying a fee of course.

If you have been paying and it's not listed, you need to contact ACMA to sort it out.

Banned

Thanks

we shall see at 70 who knows may be dead tomorrow ?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

BOT welcome to Austech, Morty, You'll fit in well here!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I don't know what all the discussion over MY CALL SIGN IS ABOUT?

I have this call sign, it is mine and mine alone but was previously held by another AR licensee and CANCELLED. After my first period of licensing I renewed the call sign and license as per FCC regulations. It is listed on the Federal Call Sign Database in the United States.

Does someone have a problem I could help resolve for them? I would be happy to show them my credentials on the Federal Database of Licensed Amature Radio Stations. :-)

I might add over the years I have held the following call signs, KG4WZN, AI4EQ, and currently N9ZN.

You can go here to see I am ACTIVELY LICENSED ->
    Last edited by n9zn; 22-07-18 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Providing PROOF OF LICENSING!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n9zn View Post
    I don't know what all the discussion over MY CALL SIGN IS ABOUT?
    You misunderstand, mate.

There is no issue with YOUR callsign.

It was hinekadon, who gave HIS callsign as vk6zrm

And his callsign appears to have expired many years ago.

gone cold from 1979/80

Thanks

Default In the U.S we pay license renewals every 10 years.

I thought I would add this to the discussion. Since this forum is primarily a European forum I will be the first to admit I know little about over the pond licensing requirements. I would assume they are similar to ours in the United States because of International Conventions Governing them but I suppose you might have differing licensing period renewals.

In the United States, we must renew our licenses every ten (10) years or face forfeiture/cancellation of our license. It is a shame all nations do not allow lifetime licensing terms. Present renewal requirements probably serve at least two useful ends. 1. It brings new monies into the licensing system. 2. It helps Government weed out those who lost interest to remain current and or those who are deceased.

I have not been active recently but that does not mean I am any less an Amature Radio Licensee than someone who is on air 24 / 7, the Governments recognize all of us equally. At some point in the hopefully near future, my intentions are to erect a 100-foot tower with at least 3 or 4 antenna systems place on it to handle differing frequencies and purposes. I will do this after relocating from current residential areas into one which is less restrictive on antennas etc. Federal law in the U.S. allows us rights to antennas but we still are faced fighting lawsuits the courts will dismiss and it eats away at the time for other things. All of us have neighbors who would put an end to our hobby and thankfully many nations adopted laws to prevent that.

I have been a Volunteer Examination Coordinator (VEC) and in that capacity arranged for testing of applicants, and secured other volunteers (VE's) to assist in the testing ensuring we met ALL legal requirements. Not once during my licensing tenure have any restrictions or loss of privilege been placed against me, I keep it, legal gentlemen.

If enough people in my area request a licensing session I will have my credentials for VEC once again reinstated with the F.C.C in America. Overseeing testing of new Amaturesor upgrading Amateurs has always been seen as an honor for myself and those who assits. Most testing is accomplished via the bigger AR clubs in the area given their broad base exposure to those wanting licensing. Sitting for one or two applicants was not worth the effort or time getting everyone together for exams and why I stopped testing licensee hopefuls. After all, it is not who conducts the test that matters, it is the person passing the exams that rightfully benefit most, they earned their place in the ranks of fist pounders everywhere ( a few will disagree on the merits of the statement).

Hugs and Kisses to all and to all a 73's good day! (just humor boys and girls)

Thanks

Default Thank you beloved Administrator 'mtv'

I agree I assume radio talk as normal was occurring. :-) Which I have no problems with.

Now there is a little more background placed for the ranks to devour at leisure. The saying is "More IS Less" right (chuckling)? I know the real saying. :-)

Honestly, I had rather share as much as I can now instead of sharing it all later where it is separate and context gets lost.

Thanks, MTV, I am Happy as a lark to be chirping as a newbie here.

N9ZN - Tampa, Florida U.S.A.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Actually n9zn, the majority of us are based in Australia, a few degrees further south than Europe. 'Tis not an issue. As you may have already found we will challenge anything that may be classed as inaccurate. In this case, that was not directed at you, so, hang on, and enjoy the ride!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...