Thread: ACMA Holds Telcos Accountable To Ensure They Provide What They Offer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Default ACMA Holds Telcos Accountable To Ensure They Provide What They Offer

So good points here, including:

ACMA research found that almost one in six households moving to an NBN service was left without a working connection for more than a week. For almost one in 10 households, the interruption was for more than two weeks.

In response, new ACMA rules will require telcos to:

conduct a line test to check their customer’s new NBN service is working after installation
    verify that any existing copper line used to connect a customer to their new NBN service is capable of delivering the maximum data speed specified in their chosen plan
    offer an interim service or make another acceptable arrangement to customers where their new NBN service is not working and can’t be fixed within three days.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Keith (08-10-18)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I wonder how accurate the research is ? No doubt there will be problems changing a country the size of Australia from one system to another, but in general, people are generally clueless and as soon as they have a problem blame the NBN.

Reading comments in newspapers in columns about anything to do with the NBN are filled with comments from people who dont even have the NBN, yet are blaming it for everything from causing cancer to their cats pregnancy.

Having said that, I have no problems with the new requirement as it will give people less to whinge about when they find the only problem with their connection.....is their lack of knowledge with anything technical.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'll happily blame the NBN for the lack of speed at my place. I'm unlikely to see an improvement until they decide that our little town deserves a light pipe.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I would have thought that those 'new' requirements would have been in place from the beginning, not at this fairly late stage.
    The NBN has been fairly closed mouthed about what services are to be made available to each area or when they intend to start rather than a vague broad statement they will be 'Somewhere' in the 1st or 2nd half of 20XX.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Where does the old Telstra Universal Service Obligation fit in with a NBN phone service? If the power goes out you can't make a phone call where as with the current phone setup the power comes from the telephone exchange! So in an emergency you may not be able to make a call using the NBN!

.......Leroy

Thanks

The universal service obligation is specifically technology neutral, meaning THEY can choose the technology they use to supply the service. This effectively means they can supply a service by fixed line, mobile or even satellite phone. What is a requirement is that call costs are on the same basis anywhere in the country.

Thanks

telco's police themselves since acma wiped there hands of telecomunications in australia .the tio was the biggest stuff up in australia designed to cover up illegal activity by all the telco's . the tio is a telco union owned and opperated by telco's to cover up breachs by telco's from acma. acma is not interested in handling complaints directly without going through the currupt telco industry union the tio it's a sad day for communications when we can't ring the local acma office to sort out problems with telstra like the old days.