View Poll Results: What's The Best Way To Break In A New Cell Phone Battery?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use up the battery first before charging the first time.

0 0%
  • Charge up the battery first, even though it already has 50% life showing.

7 100.00%

Thread: What's The Best Way To Break In A New Cell Phone Battery?

Thanks

Default What's The Best Way To Break In A New Cell Phone Battery?

I've always read that you're supposed to fully charge and then fully use up a new battery 3-4 times to condition it in a way that will make it have the best capacity and useful life. But the issue is, when you get a new battery, it will often have a partial charge already. So you unwrap the new battery, slap it in the phone, and it shows like 40-50% battery life, even though you haven't charged it yet.

So, are we supposed to go ahead and use up the battery down to like 5-10% first before charging the battery for the first time? Or, do you go ahead and just charge it first all the way up to the full 100%, even though it already has a 50% charge out of the wrapper? And then you use it all the way down to 5-10% and fully re-charge it 3-4 times?

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I just plug it in and use it as I would normally, never had any issues. Certainly, if the batteries were NiCd, then you'd need to be waaaay more careful. But, that is just me. There will be many dissenting opinions.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Reprise (26-07-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
    I've always read that you're supposed to fully charge and then fully use up a new battery 3-4 times to condition it in a way that will make it have the best capacity and useful life. But the issue is, when you get a new battery, it will often have a partial charge already. So you unwrap the new battery, slap it in the phone, and it shows like 40-50% battery life, even though you haven't charged it yet.

So, are we supposed to go ahead and use up the battery down to like 5-10% first before charging the battery for the first time? Or, do you go ahead and just charge it first all the way up to the full 100%, even though it already has a 50% charge out of the wrapper? And then you use it all the way down to 5-10% and fully re-charge it 3-4 times?
    Li-Ion batteries do not need to be conditioned or 'broken in'
    The software in you phone however needs to be 'trained' to the capacity of your new battery.
    Therefore it is advisable to do one full charge and discharge cycle and back to full.
    After that I suggest to only charge up to around 90% if possible, as this will prolong the cycle life of your battery considerably.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (25-07-18),Reprise (26-07-18),tristen (25-07-18)

Thanks

I always tell customers to charge the battery to 100% and then some - think of it like a night charge

batteries when flat can go below threshold and the thing wont charge or turn on (3.06V for iphones) and then the battery needs to come out and placed on the
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Reprise (26-07-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

[QUOTE=freakee1;781319]I always tell customers to charge the battery to 100% and then some - think of it like a night charge

/QUOTE]

Never charge batteries unattended.

Fast asleep at night = unattended !
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (26-07-18)

Thanks

[QUOTE=nomeat;781326]
    Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    I always tell customers to charge the battery to 100% and then some - think of it like a night charge

/QUOTE]

Never charge batteries unattended.

Fast asleep at night = unattended !

I said think of it "like" a night charge......... nothing about being unattended......... or asleep............... you know, when you charge your device when you aren't playing games, facebooking or watching youtube - leaving the bloody thing alone while it's charging......
    有段者

Thanks

You talk in strange riddles

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (26-07-18)