Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default F1

just watching the Hungarian race from sunday. Geez Ricardo is a good driver. Just imagine if he got a seat in a Ferrari or Merc?

Not much chat this season about F1, wsbk or motogp!!

Leroy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

DB44 (04-08-18),kclar (01-08-18),Uncle Fester (01-08-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Think the reason for him staying where he is, is a new power pack for next year?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Think the reason for him staying where he is, is a new power pack for next year?
    Yeah Red Bull F1 will be running Honda next year for both the Teams as it's been running successfully in the Toro Rosso this year.

Ricciardo hasn't signed yet though.

I think he's waiting to see if Raikkonens seat at Ferrari is available, I have a feeling it's not.
    Rumours are that Leclerc will get that seat.

McLaren have a big money offer on the table for Raikkonen, with rumours that Alonso is going to retire.
    Ricciardo also has a big money offer from McLaren, but I don't think he even considers going there.

Some interesting (funny) speculation at
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (01-08-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Ricciardo and Verstappen are the only reason F1 is still interesting.

Vettel is losing it a bit IMO and everybody is getting sick of Hamilton's dominance(excepts his fans).
    Ferrari always lets Vettel win and gives Raikkonen the team orders. Yeah I know, the points but this sucks and it is pretty much the same with Mercedes even though Toto tries to conceal it.
    Look at last race, it was really all about Ricciardo and if Verstappen was also there it would have got even more exciting.

Not saying that I like Verstappen that much but he pulls the masses. Dutch fans are crazy and great their support for Daniel even though Verstappen DNF.
    So if F1 continues to be worth watching we need the Ricciardo<->Verstappen scraps in the same car(performance wise).

I think RB14 is a great chassis, outperforms others with it's tyre management and Renault makes the shittiest engines in the world, reliability wise.
    Honda is a big gamble possibly being the second shittiest but they have motivation unlike Renault, who have now their own team so why would they put further effort in the Rebbulls.

Ricciardo would do best to sign with Redbull another 2 years. If less he might be REALLY treated as the 'second' driver, which he surely will be next to Vettel and Hamilton.
    I don't see a better place for him with any other team and from what I have read, I see no chance of him becoming a Merc or Ferrari driver.

For me Ricciardo is an Aussie hero and I wish he would get here more of the public acceptance he deserves.
    No live F1(except the opening) on FTA TV is fault + probably exorbitant licensing demanded by Liberty Media.

A couple of times I thought of posting something here but then I thought: probably nobody cares.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-08-18 at 02:21 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Game Over for Riccciardo

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Nope.... Winning days are over, off to Renault
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-08-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Well, bugger me, didn't see that coming.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Well that looks like a bit of a fall back. Maybe Renault gave him an offer he couldn't refuse

Big gamble but Renault has been a bit more reliable than RBR lately. Hard to see him get on the podium with this though.
    But maybe RBR is making an even bigger gamble with the Honda engines next year.
    Historically Renault and their power units have won more F1 races than Honda but now Red Bull is getting all the duds.

Horner should be suing the shit out of Renault to get his money back for all the engine related DNFs and penalties.

Ricciardo might also be able to bring some Red Bull know-how to Renault to improve their chassis and it seems now Renault is willing to invest more in F1.

We will have to wait and see.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Well that looks like a bit of a fall back. Maybe Renault gave him an offer he couldn't refuse

As mentioned before, this is about as far as you get as an Australian in a European sponsored sport
    I'd say he wasn't an economical fit for Merc and Ferrari's audience (although he would have been one of the fastest guys on the grid)
    So, it is an obvious move to chase the money, when you cant be in a winning team.

There is a number of passed champs now driving around mid field, just for the cash.

That is the way i see it
    Mark Weber would know only too well what its like to be in RedBull in Ricciardo's shoes currently

Best offer Renault would have had regarding driver skills
    Best offer Ricciardo would have had money wise you'd have to think, plus being the No.1 driver for the team to a lesser degree.

Reported $35Million a year for 2 years is a lot of reasons to follow the money

Cos lets face it, he will never win a World Champs in the current climate
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-08-18 at 01:31 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

mandc (05-08-18),Tiny (05-08-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Best offer Renault would have had regarding driver skills
    Best offer Ricciardo would have had money wise you'd have to think, plus being the No.1 driver for the team to a lesser degree.

Reported $35Million a year for 2 years is a lot of reasons to follow the money
    yep you got that right, $35,000,000 per year for 2 years, which makes him the current, or should I say next years, 3rd highest paid F1 driver.

who signed a tier based deal with Ferrari where he will earn $50 (£33.7m) million guaranteed in first year and $30m (£20.4m) a year afterwards with max bonuses of around $10 million (£7m).

is on a basic yearly salary of $31 million a year (£20.9m) but with significant increase on grand prix and F1 title win bonuses which could take his yearly salary to $40 million a year (£28m) and he will remain with the team till 2019.

So now the musical chairs begin. What happens to the drivers that havened signed yet,
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

With yearly salaries like these guys, is it no wonder they live in Monaco or the Isle of Man.
    Even Wayne Gardener admits to living in Monaco.... Didn't think he had so much coin

Thanks

wow I didn't see that either but why would Renault be more reliable if using the same engines? Might be a bit of a devil you know scenario as well. Honda weren't good when McLaren were using them and have improved a little since changing to Ferrari engines. As mentioned the red bull chassis is better so hopefully some of Richiardo's knowledge will help Renault.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think the question is;

Did RedBull want to keep him?
    If not, whom do they have in mind to replace him?
    Obviously, RedBull now get to make a huge saving in wages for the new driver
    It always been a game
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-08-18 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks

That's another way of looking at it but I'm sure they would have liked to have kept him.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Honda weren't good when McLaren were using them and have improved a little since changing to Ferrari engines. .
    Umm! McLaren are running Renault engines ATM.

As mentioned the red bull chassis is better so hopefully some of Richiardo's knowledge will help Renault.
    I agree & Renault are paying him big because they are serious & want a winning driver to move them to the next level.

That's another way of looking at it but I'm sure they would have liked to have kept him.
    I agree with you again, they did not want to lose him, however they were never going to match $35M a year to keep him.

Daniel said earlier this year that it would take a 2 year $66M contract to get him to leave RedBull, so Renault made sure with $70M

Financially it was Daniels best move & who knows, it might just be the platform that takes him to the next level. Time will tell.
    His current deal with RedBull is way less at $6.5 million a year (£5.2m) guaranteed salary plus bonuses.
    Last edited by Tiny; 06-08-18 at 06:34 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

$1.66 Million a race for the next 2 years

He will earn more money after just 4 races, than an entire year at his current salary.
    And hopefully he has a team mate that doesn't want to punt him off the track

Will be good to see him at Monaco next year, we all know he can rag a car around, even when its not the fastest one out there.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-08-18 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks

Renault....Ferrari... my bad but you know what I mean though. Those Honda engines weren't competitive

Thanks

SPA....my fav. track. Great to see it didn't get rained out!! Nice stack at the start and proved the halo works.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yeah, was an interesting first lap & post mortem, the rest was so so.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Yeah, was an interesting first lap & post mortem, the rest was so so.
    Really it was a procession by the front runners.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast