Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toyota PDF - Band-Aid fix or Shifting the liability to the owner?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Toyota DPF - Band-Aid fix or Shifting the liability to the owner?

Wow, this is an interesting move for such a giant of the automotive industry
    You choose when your DPF regenerates with a switch

Last edited by ol' boy; 02-08-18 at 10:25 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (04-08-18)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I'm not a diesel aficionado, what about older diesels, did these all have DPFs or is this one of those "newfangled" anti pollution devices? What happens if you just "bypass" it. NOTE! I am not advocating this, I am just curious, I do not possess a diesel anything at present.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'm not a diesel aficionado, what about older diesels, did these all have DPFs or is this one of those "newfangled" anti pollution devices? What happens if you just "bypass" it. NOTE! I am not advocating this, I am just curious, I do not possess a diesel anything at present.

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I doubt its shifting liability, if Toyota introduced it, they still need to cover it.

Id say its more a choice of lets hope the vehicles owner does it manually so we dont get warranty claims from people doing short trips.....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Id say its just cheaper than the Recall that probably should have happened
    Sorry, they call non life threatening issues a "Service Bulletin"
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-08-18 at 07:55 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Off topic, but if you are driving a hilux etc you may want to be aware of this

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-08-18),Thala Dan (04-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Really has been a fall from grace for Toyota, especially that Hilux platform

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

OFF TOPIC Piccie of son doing what 4WD's should be about.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

The engine in our test HiLux Rugged X went into limp-home mode four times without any warning. It was temporarily fixed each time by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.But motoring.com.au is also aware of a Fortuner press vehicle having the same problem. That vehicle went into limp-home when the driver was attempting to pass a B-double on an outback road.
    “As the vehicle is subject to reduced engine power and can continue to be operated safely, it is not a safety related item that would require a recall,” a Toyota Australia spokesperson told motoring.com.au in a statement.
    Toyota will retrofit parts free of charge, the spokesman said, but is playing down the extent of the limp-home issue, saying it strikes only rarely and only in “extremely dusty” conditions.
    It would be a great comfort to know, as a B-Double bears down on you at a combined speed of over 200 km/h when you're half-way past a 14m car/caravan rig, that what is about to happen to you is something that only happens rarely.

And the statement that this only happens in "extremely dusty" conditions is unmitigated bollocks.

What the spokesman meant to say, I'm sure, is that the MAF sensor can be compromised in "extremely dusty" conditions, but that this could then manifest itself as a limp mode condition at any time thereafter.

The proposition that an unexpected significant reduction in vehicle power, which can occur at any time and place, does not represent a safety issue, beggars belief.

As a past, and present, satisfied Toyota owner, I have some sympathy for Toyota, but considering the price premium they demand for their "unbreakable" products, I would have expected better....in both the avoidance of the problem in the first place, and the subsequent response once the problem was identified.

Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another example of the recent trend of corporations racing to get new products onto the market, and leaving consumers to do the final testing.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 04-08-18 at 01:17 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

What an awesome way to address a design fault in your $60K new vehicle

Just pull over on the side of the road and wait 45minutes of idling while your car blows out white smoke

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (08-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    What an awesome way to address a design fault in your $60K new vehicle

Just pull over on the side of the road and wait 45minutes of idling while your car blows out white smoke
    You can see why there is an aftermarket industry devoted to deleting this crap from modern diesels.....
    EGR/dpf/ad blue turn what was once a reliable engine into crap that won't last 300000km.......

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Thanks

I also see a cracking legal battle between Toyota and Independent Mechanics and Owners.

Toyota already been flexing the legal muscle and sending out threatening letters to anyone that speaks out negativity about them...
    Which is never a good look in a world of customer service.

I agree 100% with you hoe.
    But those mods are of little comfort to new vehicle owners that wish to have a valid vehicle warranty...
    Not to mention the EPA fines of $$$$

Hence the Button!

Ford Ranger and Everest couldn't have ask for better advertising
    Last edited by ol' boy; 08-08-18 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I also see a cracking legal battle between Toyota and Independent Mechanics and Owners.

Toyota already been flexing the legal muscle and sending out threatening letters to anyone that speaks out negativity about them...
    Which is never a good look in a world of customer service.

I agree 100% with you hoe.
    But those mods are of little comfort to new vehicle owners that wish to have a valid vehicle warranty...
    Not to mention the EPA fines of $$$$

Hence the Button!

Ford Ranger and Everest couldn't have ask for better advertising

Welllllllllll.........maybe

The Ford Ranger — the second best-seller behind the HiLux — is also far from fault-free.

Ford has replaced complete engines in a number of near-new Ranger utes after News Corp Australia intervened on behalf of concerned owners.

On certain Ranger utes there are also known faults with intercooler pipes splitting, rear main oil seals leaking and harsh transmission shifts, for which Ford has introduced running changes. Ford is yet to disclose the cause of the catastrophic engine failures, which were initially diagnosed as being caused by poor quality fuel.

As with Toyota, however, only customers who complain get their vehicles fixed.

The exception is a recall on certain Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 utes to fit a heat shield near the diesel particulate filter after 24 examples caught fire when driving over long grass

Secret documents reveal true extent of mechanical faults with some of Australia’s top-selling utes

You could probably be forgiven for thinking that, after around 100 years of making motor vehicles, somebody might have gotten it right by now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Happy Toyota Customers...

I HATE the dpf on my hilux. I will NEVER buy another diesel vehicle fitted with a dpf. Complained to Toyota service dealer about it numerous times last time I was trying to reverse a trailer up my steep driveway while it was doing a burn, all it burnt was the clutch. Toyota service dealer advised me that I need to pull over & let it do its burn before continuing. Therefore my response was, "well this vehicle isn't fit for purpose, give me my money back!". Of course they refused & just fobbed me off. Oh what a feeling.
    83000 Ks, been back to Toyota every 20000 to have the DPF replaced, they must of stuffed the last repair, when it burns off, which is always smoke now comes out of the engine bay, it looks like the ute is on fire. So will be back in the shop for the 4th time to have DPF sorted.

OBC display when regen in process

Last edited by ol' boy; 08-08-18 at 03:12 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post

Secret documents reveal true extent of mechanical faults with some of Australia’s top-selling utes

You could probably be forgiven for thinking that, after around 100 years of making motor vehicles, somebody might have gotten it right by now.

Oh What a Feeling!!!

Dealer sources say HiLux customers must bring their vehicles back three times for a DPF “re-gen” flush; only on the fourth visit will the DPF be replaced.

Thanks

A bit more info on the fortunes of the new Hilux:

Recalls and faults: Toyota Mk. 8 Hilux utility (2015 - on)

One aspect of this DPF issue that has me intrigued (for ulterior reasons) is that all the chatter on the subject centres around the 2.8L engine in the Hilux, Prado, and Fortuner.

I have a 2017 Hiace Camper, which has a 3L turbo diesel, and is fitted with a DPF.

So far no issues....but only 14,000km on the clock to date, 10k of which was a trip to Perth at speeds which would be guaranteed to clean anything out.

Remainder of the mileage has been on our surrounding country and alpine roads........not much bumper-to-bumper there either.

But I'm wondering if the problem is restricted to the 2.8L engine, as nothing I can find on the WWW makes any mention of the 3.0L Hiace..........or is it just that the Hiace doesn't have the popular exposure of the other models?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Toyota had big issues with the 200 Series LC and DPF also Thala Dan.

And congrates on the Hiace mate. I have a very soft spot for those time honoured work horses
    Still have my petrol Hiace, just can't kill it.
    After owning the Landcruiser for a while now and towing a caravan, i never realised how EASY and Affordable i had it with the Hiace
    It is still the do anything vehicle in my view!

Back to your question, from all i have read, it is as you say, the move to DPF on the 2.8 that has caused all the problems

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (08-08-18)

Thanks

Thanks, OB.

We've had a 2011 Holden Colorado since new and have been very happy with it.

We used it to tow a 23' van around Australia for several years before finally settling down.

I always thought it was an easy car to drive (except for the crap turning circle).....until I got the Hiace.

Now.....going from driving the Hiace to the Colorado feels like getting out of a nippy little sports car into a Sherman tank.

Still love 'em both, but boy that Hiace is one hellavu fun vehicle to drive!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Getting off topic
    But before I had a 4WD, my Hiace did a lot of 4WDing....
    Infact, apart crossing the Simpson, the Hiace would have gone everywhere I've taken the Cruiser.
    And you are right, turning circle king the Hiace!
    The local mechanic and RACV guy up the just grabbed a Hiace as his camping vehicle too.
    The high roof one.

After servicing this diesel Landcruiser, I'm amazed how cheap to maintain the petrol Hiace has been....

Everyone was jealous at camp when it came to pack up day.
    Wake up, take a piss, open drivers door, turn key, drive off... Done!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

When I was at the dealership we would regularly get diesel Subarus that would block the DPF even on the run up and down to Falls Creek! They would either limp or be towed into the dealership where they would do a manual DPF burn which would take about 30mins. It would rev the engine quite high to get the DPF hot enough to do a burn. Smoke would be everywhere.

They also had problems with the NS Pajero DPF's but that seemed to be more to do with owners getting their vehicles services at other places other than the dealer and them not using the correct oil! I wonder if this is part of the Toyota 2.8l DPF issue?

Be buggered if I had to sit on the side of the road waiting for a manual DPF burn in the Toyota. But the problem is people buy them for putting around town and it's not just Toyota but all diesels with DPF's.

On a side note there was something about VW stopping producing diesel engines. It's just getting too hard to meet emissions requirements.

I have a Ranger with the 3.2l engine and when I was shopping around for a dual cab one of my first questions was does it have a DPF. Sadly the MY17 Ranger that came out in Oct 2016 now has a DPF I will be hanging on to this one for a while now...

....Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 08-08-18 at 07:46 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-08-18),Thala Dan (08-08-18)

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast