Thanks

Default M disc

anyone tried M discs for storage ?

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,859 Times in 9,045 Posts

Bit small for what I need.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Ignorant as usual, what is an 'M' disc?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I'll take your answer to the OP's question as being a no then.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Ignorant are only those who to refuse to search:

BD-XL versions with 100GB do not sound too small for me if I wanted to keep something for 1000 years, though I doubt the device capable of reading them will last that long.

Sorry I have never used them.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I still have CD's I burnt last century and have yet to suffer any problems with them. If they last another century, I won't be around to care. Given the speed at which technology is changing, most of this archival stuff will be copied again, and again, over the next 100 years, data degradation will be a non-issue as, the beauty of digital media is, the data is either a 1 or a 0 so, no in-betweens to worry about, checksums weed out the erroneous bits anyway. Whilst analogue may be a superior audio format, there is a huge possibility for signal degradation.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    ... data degradation will be a non-issue as, the beauty of digital media is, the data is either a 1 or a 0 so, no in-betweens to worry about, checksums weed out the erroneous bits anyway. Whilst analogue may be a superior audio format, there is a huge possibility for signal degradation.
    Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong, which I know painfully from experience with my digital audio tapes.
    Digital means that it either works or does not.
    No in-betweens mean that if it does not work you can't even recover at least some of it.
    Checksums weed out nothing. They decide if the data is currupt and then don't allow access.

Unlike analogue where signal degradation usually means not all is lost.

As the old saying goes: Data does not exist until it is stored on AT LEAST two different types of media.

Analogue reel to reel tapes my father recorded in the 1960's still work resonably well.
    If I dug my vinyls away and somebody in 1000 years digs them up, they will still play fine.
    Your hardrive will have become a rock of iron ore and standard DVDs will have long delaminated.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-09-18 at 05:08 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-09-18),tristen (09-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Strictly speaking you are correct, nomeat, I've no argument with any of those comments. My contention being that a copy of a digital whatever, is going to be a "perfect" copy. Nothing comes close in the analogue world. FWIW I do still own Records, Tapes and cassettes. My cassettes are almost all requiring some major effort to duplicate, now. (repairing the cases where the pressure pads or rollers have disintegrated.). My Tapes can also still be played with minimal issues (provided that your don't mind a little 'print through' from time to time). My Records are all good to go, however, each playing wears the record, not to mention to dust issue. I do, still possess the mechanisms for playing all of the above, but have not been near any of them for decades. My hearing is now, unfortunately, somewhat degraded, so MP3 is good enough for me.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...