Thread: Dunce Teachers....WTF?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default Dunce Teachers....WTF?

No wonder our kids are being taught rubbish..............17.9 out of 99.5?..................sheeesh...

Victoria University admitted students with the lowest scores in Australia to an Initial Teaching Education course, with ATARs of only 17.9, 19.8 and 21.3.
    .lmfao.................

Paywalled..............

Victoria’s low ATAR scoring students still let into university teaching courses
    Ashley Argoon, Sunday Herald Sun
    August 11, 2018 11:01pm
    Subscriber only

ASPIRING teachers in Victoria are being accepted into university teaching courses despite shocking academic #results of their own.

One student with an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) of just 17.9 out of a possible 99.95 secured a place in an initial teaching course.

Aspiring teachers in Victoria are being accepted into university teaching courses despite shocking academic #results of their own.

The rank is almost 50 points below a minimum benchmark the state government set to raise teaching standards.

The worrying data, #obtained by the Sunday Herald Sun, last night prompted #Victorian Education Minister James Merlino to order an #immediate investigation.

“I will not stand for universities who are attempting to undercut or bypass our reforms and minimum ATAR standards,” he said.

He warned universities that didn’t comply could lose #accreditation to teach future educators.

Federal Education and Training Minister Simon Birmingham has written to Mr Merlino, calling on him to #explain why Victoria is the worst-performing state in the country.

Tertiary admission centre figures released through Senate Estimates reveal Victoria University admitted students with the lowest scores in Australia to an Initial Teaching Education course, with ATARs of only 17.9, 19.8 and 21.3.

The university this year introduced a Bachelor of Education Studies degree to circumvent new rules.

Students who enrol in the degree, which has no minimum standard, can then transfer to the Bachelor of Education in their second year.

Victoria University’s Tim Newhouse said the students enrolled with the lowest ATARs in Australia “are not going into teaching”.

He instead insisted they were doing a “Diploma of Education Studies or Bachelor of Education Studies, which can lead to many #careers”.

Mr Newhouse said these could include “mentoring and tutoring, community programs, public and welfare services, after-school care and teacher aide positions”.

However, the Victoria University website states that its #Diploma of Education Studies program will help students “achieve your dream of becoming a teacher … this education course prepares you to enter the second year of a teaching degree”.

Federation University Australia, also in Victoria, accepted the second-lowest ATARs in the nation, including 22.1, 23.6 and 24.3, followed by NSW’s University of Wollongong with a 25.7 ATAR.

A spokeswoman for RMIT — which had the fourth-lowest entry scores in Australia — said admissions “with an ATAR that is lower than the recommended level” were based on complex issues that could include student finances or health problems.

“Admissions under these circumstances are undertaken to ensure that otherwise talented and hardworking students, who faced serious adversity during their final years of school, are not disadvantaged,” she said.
    Victoria University admitted students with the lowest scores in Australia to an Initial Teaching Education course, with ATARs of only 17.9, 19.8 and 21.3. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Mr Merlino said while universities had always been able to take special consideration into account for all courses, “it isn’t good enough that some universities are looking for ways around the rules purely to boost their numbers to make money”.

A minimum standard of 65 was this year introduced, rising to 70 next year.

Australian Education Union Victorian branch president Meredith Peace said: “We have to raise the standard. We don’t support these backdoor entry programs, which allow people to come in without a suitable academic level.”

Opposition spokesman Tim Smith said Mr Merlino had been “caught out lying over the lack of education standards”.

“This minister needs to spend less time on smearing political opponents and more time on his real job of giving children a good education,” he said.

The Turnbull Government will introduce a website within weeks where universities must publish admission information, prerequisites and ATAR scores of previous students as part of new transparency reforms.

Mr Birmingham said: to achieve the best student outcomes “we need the highest calibre teachers in the classroom”.

“With more admissions transparency, we’re ensuring unis are held to account for the students they enrol,” Mr Birmingham said.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-08-18)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Which thread is which? Maybe we need to raise the ATAR scores here.

Seriously, there are some who may not be the brightest spark in the fire but may actually end up as brilliant teachers. I certainly didn't do as well at high school as, perhaps I could have. Not sure what my ATAR would have been but, I love teaching my grandson. I never did well at Uni, either, I never did finish my associate diploma, though I suspect (I have never followed through) that my IQ is reasonably high. Eldest tells me that he has just done a formal IQ test with a result of 150. (Other Grandsons are looking to be Genius level, too). From initial tests indicates around 130 but I don't really know. So, maybe this uni is hoping to find the diamond in the rough.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

No surprises here. University funding is now geared to the number of students enrolled, whether they succeed or not. Arts degrees like teaching and law are very inexpensive to deliver - adding an extra student to a 100 seat lecture theatre costs next to nothing. Undergraduate assignments can be marked by casual honours and masters students. The standing joke in some universities is: “How to we decide if a student should start a teaching degree? We check for a pulse.”

At the same time, contact hours for teacher education have plummeted. A full time load was nine (9) contact hours per week not that many years ago and I’m sure it has not increased. Unless a student took a subject in another discipline, there were no exams at all - assessment was through written essay based assignments and practical assessment when out in schools on prac. Anecdotal evidence suggests that there were some students who were barely literate, yet succeeding because a parent or older sibling was doing their assignments for them. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop there.

Thankfully, there are still some very bright and switched on students graduating with teaching degrees, so there is hope for future generations.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Hate to tell you guys but this has been going on for years. My recollection is that teaching has had amongst the lowest scores required for course entry at least as far back as the late 70's.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Eldest tells me that he has just done a formal IQ test with a result of 150.
    Of course there are a few possibilities for that. (joking) He might be an idiot and doesn't understand what an IQ of 150 means.
    In which case his further as a teacher in our education system is almost guaranteed.

He might have also taken an online test which gave him that score (also knowing he is an idiot) in order to inflate his good feelings about his own intelligence and sell him something while he's on that high.

He could just be lying and again, not understand what an IQ of 150 means.

He could also be smart. In the top 0.043% of the population, which means he would be one of the top 8000 smartest people in this country.

The truth is probably that he's bright, or he thinks he is (which kind of helps). But chances are he has an IQ of about 100.
    Online tests tell the average person their IQ is about 130. Obviously they're pushing a barrow.
    And repeating any IQ test artificially raises your ability to score high. IQ tests only test your ability to complete that test.
    They're basically useless. So any reference to IQ makes you sound more like an idiot.

Of course that is the way I have a high IQ.
    There are two ways to score a high IQ.
    The first is be smart (noting that is a fallacy from my previous comments)
    The other is to surround yourself with idiots and let them drag the mean down.

The second choice is how I do it

Anyhow... I have this subject first hand. A friends daughter recently completed high school.
    In her HSC trials, I was appalled at how bad her scores were and warned her dad that if she didn't improve very quickly she would have no chance of getting into uni. In fact, her scores were so bad, I would have been surprised if they let her repeater year 12.

Of course she wanted to be a teacher , and now she's at uni doing teaching. How the hell she managed to find the car park at the uni amazes me, let alone how she got into the course. I've not seen what the course entails, but I have to wonder if half the marks are for attendance.

So I think this country is probably doomed. White Australians will be fighting Aboriginals for land rights and welfare while the Indians and Chinese over run the country.
    Last edited by trash; 12-08-18 at 10:22 PM.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (13-08-18),eaglem (13-08-18),enf (12-08-18),hinekadon (12-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    ....So I think this country is probably doomed. White Australians will be fighting Aboriginals for land rights and welfare while the Indians and Chinese over run the country.
    You will have to change your username to NostradaTrash (Not that I thought the writings of Nostradamus are remotely related to been prophetic) as I believe you are right on the mark, but to be PC you need to include those of Islamic faith, as that is that ideology's goal as well....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-08-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

He IS that bright. Incidentally he DOES work in the Education system, but as a SYSADMIN for a University. He's also a musician in the ARMY RESERVE band looking after all their PA and Electronics. The test was the real thing with MENSA, so I do believe it. My daughter's eldest is only 7 and is showing that he is most likely even brighter.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Mensa means names
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

More edjumaction................no problem they say................

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (14-08-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

"It worked for granny, so it must be all right"