Thread: Google's reCAPTCHA - War on VPNs ?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Google's reCAPTCHA - War on VPNs ?

I would like to annoy you with another Google practice that I have a big pickle with.

It took me yesterday almost 10 minutes to solve a reCAPTCHA because Google refused to accept me as a human.
    Before I was finally accepted I had to solve probably 30 reCAPTCHAs that also react rather slow every time the image reappears that you just correctly clicked on.
    I tried a few different VPN locations and found using AUSTRALIA is the worst, while using a Dutch location I got in after only 3 reCAPTCHAs (cookies were cleared).

I already know the reason why there are reCaptchas especially with VPNs but seriously, why do I have to solve so many when they are basically impossible for a bot to bypass?

It seems Google might be doing this annoyance purposely so you to stop using VPNs and they can get more personal data off you. Your digital footprint is useless to them if they can't associate it with your real IP.

Anybody else (using VPN) getting harassed with more than 2-3 reCAPTCHAs lately?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (15-08-18),hinekadon (14-08-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Yes, it happens to me constantly.

Solve one captcha and another pops up to annoy me...and another...and another....ad nauseum.

This particular captcha problem is recent.

I can remember a short time ago having to solve only one and then I could progress -but not lately.

But is it Google who is responsible?

I must check the browser inspector (F12) to see what I can discover.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

enf (15-08-18),Uncle Fester (14-08-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    But is it Google who is responsible?
    Yes acquired by Google since 2009:

The Google mafia has their hands EVERYWHERE.

For them it is very bad if you clear your cookies (of course Google hates that), so they conclude you are NOT HUMAN.
    I always clear my history because I do online banking/trading and I sure as hell do not want any dodgy websites seeing my referrer data. Browser history, Cookies and javascript are reasons why you can get hacked and it is also nobody's f'n business (except the ATO) what I am doing with my money, especially Google.

So by protecting myself I get punished with unsolvable captchas and then the token times out and I have to start over again.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-08-18 at 10:02 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Wouldnt the web site be responsible for the ReCaptcha's and not Google ? Or are you referring to Google the search engine web page ?

ReCaptcha's are something you install yourself on your website to stop bots signing up. We have it on plenty of pages here. How that is Google's fault, I have no idea. I install them, Google is nice enough to allow people to use them free of charge to stop bots, which otherwise destroy your website.

Its not unusual to get pegged if you are running around trying to be James Bond blocking every cookie etc etc. Have you considered selling your computer and using an Internet Cafe or something ? You could wear a pair of those really thin rubber gloves so you dont leave finger prints, and wigs and fake beards are pretty cheap on Ebay these days

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-08-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

And whilst you are at it, better add this on the list of things to do
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Why wouldn't you have already done it ? As with any product , the first thing I do is go to settings and turn off what I don't want and what I don't want stored or tracked.

Though what the above has to do with ReCaptcha I am not sure.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Err Google!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Wouldnt the web site be responsible for the ReCaptcha's and not Google ? Or are you referring to Google the search engine web page ?
    As I mentioned above Google acquired reCAPTCHA in 2009 :

Everything it does comes from Google. Google designs it not the website. The site software just makes a call to Google to verify if the posted captcha is valid.
    Never seen a captcha here.
    This is their latest version :
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-08-18 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks

From that Google link:
    [QUOTE]Purposefully designed. And actively aware. reCAPTCHA knows when to be easy on people and hard on bots. Our easy CAPTCHAs are a breeze for legitimate users.[/QUOTE]

So if you use a VPN and clear your cookies Google's reCAPTHCHA 'knows' you are NOT a legitimate user and treats you as such, hence the topic War on VPNs.

When will the sheep learn that privacy is NOT a crime and that it is not some ridiculous Tin Hat mentality if you want to make your online activity more secure, particularly if money or identity theft could be at risk.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-08-18 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks

I found this is interesting:

What Google is doing with it's reCAPTCHAs kind of fits into the bigger picture here.

Google's 'algorithm' decides that I am not a human because of a cleared history and the use of a VPN.
    It doesn't matter anymore how many times I solve the reCAPTCHA, I AM NOT NORMAL.

That should make Admin happy.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (21-08-18)

Thanks

I dont use vpns all the time and it happns to me. When im in chrome depending on the account i get captchas for some many for other and some i dont even get a captcha but i think that another topic. I especially struggle with the street signs to the point of where i looked at the definition to see whether it includes the pole cuz i NEVER get them right according to google. Funny enough if i get storefronts its a one time every time.

Thanks

Has improved a bit lately. Google responded to this thread?

Same here with the street signs but once I got in and without the pole.
    Cars and busses are good.
    Store fronts can be sometimes obscure too.

Other Captchas not from Google (not ReCaptcha) that involve just writing down a couple of words moving around, always work the first time for me.