Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxtel launches a 4K channel

Thanks

Default Foxtel launches a 4K channel

about flipping time

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mello yello For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (24-08-18),OSIRUS (14-08-18),Tiny (15-08-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mello yello For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (14-08-18),Tiny (15-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

no costing

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    no costing
    From what I can gather costing is same as iQ3 & if you have an older iQ3 they will upgrade you to the iQ4 at no cost.
    If you have upgraded recently to iQ3, some call it a iQ3.5 because it looks different to the original iQ3, then you already have the iQ4 & a software upgrade will enable the 4k channel when it is ready.

BTW; this thread is in the cable section & Foxtel are phasing out cable, so no cable boxes with 4K available. Satellite only folks.

You can read more at

If you have a box that looks like this then you have the iQ4.

FAQS

Who has the iQ4?
    In April, we started releasing the iQ3 updated model, which we have re-established as the iQ4. For the most part, those of you who have signed up or have opted for a Satellite iQ3 upgrade since then, have received this updated model.

How do I know if I have an iQ4?
    Between 15 - 21 August, we will release new software for those with the updated iQ3 model to re-establish the box as the iQ4, enabling 4K content to be delivered in the coming months. You will receive an email from us so you know you don’t have to do anything, your STB will automatically update. Once the software rollout is complete, you will notice the TV Guide states 4K and HD Channels, you will also see a Foxtel 4K Channel 444 (Coming Soon.)

What is the difference between the iQ3 and the iQ4?
    The only major difference between the iQ3 and the iQ4 is the ability to support the 4K channel. For the foreseeable future, we plan to advance both products with exciting new features at the same time.

Will the iQ4 still enable access to free-to-air channels?
    Yes, the iQ4 will still enable access to the free-to-air channels and just like Satellite iQ3, access to specific free-to-air broadcast channels varies based on location and can also vary for customers migrating from Cable to Satellite services.

Can you record on the iQ4?
    You will be able to record 4K programs. In order to be able to playback recorded 4K programs, you must ensure that your home setup supports Foxtel’s 4K UHD Standard.

Why is iQ4 only available for Satellite customers?
    In line with our plan to migrate our residential customers from the Cable network onto Satellite services by 2023, we have only developed the iQ4 model for Satellite customers.

Will there only be one 4K channel?
    Our 4K channel is just the first step in our rollout of 4K. It will feature a host of mixed-genre programming across sport, movies, documentaries and more. As more content becomes available, we’ll continue to expand our 4K offering.

Okay, so the Cricket is on Foxtel 4K, what about other sports?
    Foxtel’s dedicated 4K channel will feature live cricket in 4K from November. This will include Australian men’s international ODIs and T20 matches and every men’s Test match in Australia. A number of BBL matches will also be broadcast in 4K. We expect to add more live, 4K sports coverage in the future

How can I access Foxtel 4K, Channel 444?Satellite customers who subscribe to Sport + HD (both existing and legacy) or Platinum HD (and legacy Platinum and Platinum HD) will automatically gain the Foxtel 4K channel as part of their subscription. Alternatively, you can update your package to include Sport + HD or Platinum HD to access ALL content on Foxtel 4K Channel 444. Remember, you will also need iQ4, a compatible 4K TV and compatible HDMI 2.0 cable and must be a Satellite customer for full access – otherwise, an error/upgrade message will appear.

Will Foxtel also offer 4K content On Demand?
    Not at launch. 4K content will initially be delivered on our dedicated 4K channel. Foxtel is focusing on bringing the very best in live sports in 4K to Australia. That said, we’re also committed to increasing the breadth of 4K programming for customers and some of this content may end up On Demand in future.

Will Foxtel 4K be available for Foxtel Now customers?
    4K content will only be available to broadcast subscribers due to its delivery via Satellite. Foxtel Now customers can contact us about migrating to the broadcast service (where possible) to access Foxtel’s 4K content.

How can I check that my TV is 4K compatible?
    You can go to for a list of models from some manufacturers that fit our specifications. You can also check your TV manual for more details.
    TL;DR
    To have access to our 4K service you must have:

• Satellite iQ4
    • HDMI 2.0 cable (our cable has blue ends)
    • Subscribe to Sports + HD pack or Platinum HD pack
    • 4K compatible TV

Where do I get more information?Check out
    Last edited by Tiny; 15-08-18 at 10:56 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

admin (26-08-18),dai (15-08-18),mello yello (18-08-18),OSIRUS (15-08-18),Smacca (18-08-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I just saw the promo on Foxtel advertising this and unless I win the $100 Million Lotto this week, thats a $1000 I wont be spending to receive 4k transmissions.
    (New TV, cost to change over current SD STB and then whatever per Month added onto that)

ps, even if I did win any amount on Lotto, the programming will have to be sensational.
    I havent played a DVD in any format for so long I cant remember.........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    BTW; this thread is in the cable section & Foxtel are phasing out cable, so no cable boxes with 4K available. Satellite only folks.

Yes, no 4K on cable,

am happy to have it moved to the correct sub forum - i just dropped it where most of the other Foxtel threads were

apparently there is no extra charge as such, yet,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I just saw the promo on Foxtel advertising this and unless I win the $100 Million Lotto this week, thats a $1000 I wont be spending to receive 4k transmissions.
    (New TV, cost to change over current SD STB and then whatever per Month added onto that)

ps, even if I did win any amount on Lotto, the programming will have to be sensational.
    I havent played a DVD in any format for so long I cant remember.........
    cost of 4K tele big enough to appreciate the resolution ie 65 inch = $2000 - $3000 for a decent one, Sony Samsung LG etc
    to get Foxtel with 4K = $68 per month minimum - add $10 - $20 pm if you want to watch movies, documentaries, etc - for EACH genre
    possible installation cost $200-$300
    over one year = $4620

you might need to win that lottery TWICE mate lol

Premium Member

Thanks

Just to watch a bunch of 'Flannel Fools' run around the paddock chucking a ball at each other doesnt rate high enough to lay out ($4000) anytime soon.

The last thing I need is a bigger TV as the 50/55 inch I have now is almost too big for the Lounge so there is no way I want a 65 inch or bigger, thank you.
    The only reason I have this one is was I needed to replace the 40 inch that was dying and it was CHEAP (under $800 from Aldi)........

Correct me if I have misread/heard but there is only ONE 4K channel ???
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-08-18 at 01:40 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Yes It was reported on apsatt site and I found it under data on the Ultimo 4K box. Again its very poor compared to to what 4k show look like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Yes It was reported on apsatt site and I found it under data on the Ultimo 4K box. Again its very poor compared to to what 4k show look like.
    have they started broadcast,
    what bitrate they putting out

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slippery49 View Post
    I forgot to test for the Bitrate but I can easier do it but they tested it under the banner of data so most boxes find it but dont load it in so what I did I change it from data to TV on dreambox edit and that it. Remember its H265 and It was not a good as the Promo on Asiasat 4 C Band "4K Sat" but nothing come close to the Vatican Channel that went years ago. By the way I viewing it on a Ultimo 4K + Sony 75 inch 9400E

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slippery49 View Post
    AFAIK they are only broadcasting a coming soon banner for the channel, so not likely at a high bit rate.

The channel is scheduled to start broadcasting in 4K in October in preparation for the Cricket in November.

It's all about the Cricket mate.

Foxtel to launch 4K channel in preparation for cricket

Cricket fans will be able to watch the Australian team going head-to-head with South Africa in ultra-high definition on a new channel on News Corp's Foxtel, chief executive Patrick Delany revealed on Tuesday ahead of the October launch of 4K on the pay-TV platform.
    A new set top television box, iQ4, has been released to allow subscribers with 4K-compatible televisions to access the new Channel 444. When the channel is launched, it will air documentaries, concerts and selected movie titles ahead of the cricket on November 4.

“This will be Australia’s first live, 4K sports broadcast and it will be cricket like never before - 20 times the definition of standard definition and four times the definition of [high definition],” he said.
    “Every ball of every over of every day of Australian prime cricket will be in one place on Fox cricket, it’ll never be interrupted in live by ad breaks and now presented in 4K.”
    This summer has become even more competitive for audience after a record joint $1.2 billion spend between Foxtel and Seven West Media for cricket broadcast rights, and Nine Entertainment Co’s move into tennis for $348.5 million over the next six years.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

The advertising is saying this will be on Channel 444 which is currently not visible obviously until launch date and when it does, for those who do not have a compatible IQ4, they will get the message to Update etc......
    I do wish there was a way you can ignore channels and skip past them.

That mention of it starting in November in the voice over which had me a bit confused until I read those details.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-08-18 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I do wish there was a way you can ignore channels and skip past them.
    You can use the Favorite Channel function. That'll show you what's on via EPG then hit select to view.

Thanks

Great we can watch reruns and adds in 4K now

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by typan View Post
    Great we can watch reruns and adds in 4K now
    Aint technology wonderful???

Thanks

are the hd channels even full hd
    i thought thay were only 720

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Foxtel Satellite and Cable broadcasts 1080i. Foxtel Now broadcasts max 720p.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

Tiny (29-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

upgrade to the 4k box install yourself costs $150

Thanks

Is that $150 on top of what your paying now or just to upgrade IQ3 to IQ4 once only $150?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast